PDA

View Full Version : [REQUEST] How To: Install my Passenger Tail Light?

SkareKrow
03-26-2010, 12:21 AM
Well I had someone hit me & run in an alley in Gardena, CA when I was dropping off my mother-in-law at her sisters, So My passenger tail light cracked right down the middle and it looks horrible:pout:, I got off of eBay one of those "Depo Tail Lights" Looks exactly the same just newer Lol. My question is how do I install it? Thank you guys in Advance! I would like to start doing it tomorrow! Also what tools do I need? Thank you!

hkrayingboyz
03-26-2010, 12:32 AM
Well, all you need a flat head screw driver, and ranch. First, you open your hatch. Look inside your trunk and look right behind where the tail light is, there should be a piece of the trim. Use the flat head screw driver to open that, then unlock all the tail light and unscrew 3 nuts and that thing should be pop out. That the way I remember when I took off my tail light after the first time.

If the tail light didnt come out then you havent take the tail light out at all, then there will be a bit more work. You will need to take off your rear bumper, once you take it off, there should be either 1 or 2 screw that lock the tail light to the body frame just inside the rear bumper. For my example, after you install, do a short cut, dont screw back those screw to the body frame cuz it take a bit long to take off the tail light. That just my opinion. If you need more info, I can help lead you to it if you get stuck.

BeaterEP
03-26-2010, 06:43 AM
Pull the rear bumper, undo the couple of bolts/screws attaching the taillight bracket to the car.
In the hatch, pry the access panel off. Disconnect the various light clips/harnesses, undo the three bolts/nuts, and the light should pop right out.
Try not to damage the foam gasket, since you might need it if you didn't get one with the new light.
Put everything back on in reverse, and you're good to go! :thumbu:

SkareKrow
03-26-2010, 10:55 PM
Well, all you need a flat head screw driver, and ranch. First, you open your hatch. Look inside your trunk and look right behind where the tail light is, there should be a piece of the trim. Use the flat head screw driver to open that, then unlock all the tail light and unscrew 3 nuts and that thing should be pop out. That the way I remember when I took off my tail light after the first time.

If the tail light didnt come out then you havent take the tail light out at all, then there will be a bit more work. You will need to take off your rear bumper, once you take it off, there should be either 1 or 2 screw that lock the tail light to the body frame just inside the rear bumper. For my example, after you install, do a short cut, dont screw back those screw to the body frame cuz it take a bit long to take off the tail light. That just my opinion. If you need more info, I can help lead you to it if you get stuck. Ok Sorry didn't have internet, I would gladly appreciate the help, I am going to start on it really soon, i thought i was going to start today. But i had so many errands to run! My only question is the same one I have for beater, how do i remove the bumper now?:rant:

Pull the rear bumper, undo the couple of bolts/screws attaching the taillight bracket to the car.
In the hatch, pry the access panel off. Disconnect the various light clips/harnesses, undo the three bolts/nuts, and the light should pop right out.
Try not to damage the foam gasket, since you might need it if you didn't get one with the new light.
Put everything back on in reverse, and you're good to go! :thumbu:
Trying to figure out how to pull the rear bumper! :shrug:

hkrayingboyz
03-26-2010, 11:10 PM
when you open the hatch, there 2 taps inside where the rear bumper at, use a flat screw driver to pop that out and unscrew the screw inside. Then go to the side where the rear wheel at and look where the rear bumper meet, there should be a screw on each side and unscrew that and the bumper should pop out, if not, check underneth the car to see if there more tap that attach. Other than that, that how you take off bumper.

SkareKrow
03-28-2010, 07:28 AM
Thank you guys so much! I'm going to be doing this today for sure, Finally been able to have some time! :)

when you open the hatch, there 2 taps inside where the rear bumper at, use a flat screw driver to pop that out and unscrew the screw inside. Then go to the side where the rear wheel at and look where the rear bumper meet, there should be a screw on each side and unscrew that and the bumper should pop out, if not, check underneth the car to see if there more tap that attach. Other than that, that how you take off bumper.

Twisted-X
03-28-2010, 11:24 AM
If you need a visual aid, how to remove the bumper cover is on page 20-86 of the service manual.

Service Manual (http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43633)

SkareKrow
03-28-2010, 12:33 PM
If you need a visual aid, how to remove the bumper cover is on page 20-86 of the service manual.

Service Manual (http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43633)

Thank you! The only difference is that it's not exactly the same as the SI, you know what i mean, I have seen the O.G. Manual and that one has different things but I will try it with this. Thank you!