PDA

View Full Version : Oil Consumption >.<

kai-wun
03-26-2010, 07:43 AM
So I thought it would be a good idea to check my oil, low and behold - my oil was low.

The oil light never came on, but the oil level was def below the "min" on the dipstick. It was about halfway between the end of the dipstick and the "min" (I am a total car n00b, but I'm assuming the two holes at the end represent min and max)

I'm freaking out now... my baby!

It's been just under 6000km (~3700mi) since my last oil change. I changed it the day I purchased the car (second hand, 02 with 85,500km ~ 53k mi ...).

The previous owner ran Group III Castrol "Synthetic" with oil changes from 5-7000km ~ 3-4000mi. Never heard of him having issues with oil consumption, though I could always ask him.

I switched to Group IV fully synthetic Esso XD-3 for my oil change with a Napa Gold (rebranded Wix) filter.

Anyone have oil consumption issues? Going from Group III to Group IV synthetic?

How do I know how much oil I should "top up"? I don't want it to go completely dry. But I don't want to overfill either.

Cheers
-k

56chevydan
03-26-2010, 12:13 PM
My car will use about a quart of oil between 3K mile oil changes, and has since I bought it at 26K miles.

I'd just change it now, and then fill the crankcase with oil until it registers even with the top mark on the dipstick on a level surface. The owner's manual says 4.5 qts. with a filter change, but it will hold closer to 5 quarts. When you have the oil filled to the upper mark on the dipstick, you can then monitor your oil usage to the next oil change.

lazeebeast35
03-26-2010, 05:05 PM
That has happened to me several times. I should be checking my oil more consistently but too busy and get lazy sometimes. But once or twice ill go through a cyn or a sharp turn and thats when the oil light comes on. I usually put 10w40 and about 4.5 qts and my baby consumes oil like nothing. concerns my a bit so ima go check on it soon. Ima put in 5 now and see how that goes now that chevydan metioned it. Thanks bro.

Ygrene
03-27-2010, 01:55 PM
I'm at just over 170k miles and my EP consumes A LOT of oil. I use Mobil 1 5W-20.

talonXracer
03-27-2010, 02:46 PM
The Kseries goes through alot of oil, it is due to the unusually high oil pressure required for VTEC and VTC. This increased oil pressure and volume is pumped through the main bearings were it escapes under very high pressures and it is whipped up into a very dense oil vapor, this oil vapor exits the engine case via the PCV and is burned off.

Use of the 20 weight swill exaggerates this affect.

The owners manual expressly states that you check your oil level at each and every fuel fill-up for this EXACT reason, so stop being lazy and check it!

Snail iMAGED
03-28-2010, 04:39 PM
As a new EP3 owner, and coming from a previous engine that ate a quart every ~1250 miles, I must say I am impressed with how little oil I have needed to ad to my hatch. I check it every week!

beechstreet
03-28-2010, 07:32 PM
in 3000 miles mine will consume 1.5-2quarts.

dobbs02si
03-28-2010, 07:32 PM
I'm at just over 170k miles and my EP consumes A LOT of oil. I use Mobil 1 5W-20.

I tried 2 changes with 10-something mobil one and mine used over 3 quarts in 3k miles(30k on the clock). I have since been using 15-40 rotella in the summer and 10-40 penzoil in the winter(now has 130k) and it uses just over a quart every 5k. I put an air dryer(for air compressors) in the vac line to the intake mani to help catch some of the vapors. Like Doug said, it sucks ALOT through the intake. Its very obvious when you put the filter on it.

talonXracer
03-28-2010, 07:58 PM
I have found that Mobil1 and RP seem to flash off far quicker than other brands of oil that I have used.

kai-wun
03-31-2010, 09:54 AM
The Kseries goes through alot of oil, it is due to the unusually high oil pressure required for VTEC and VTC. This increased oil pressure and volume is pumped through the main bearings were it escapes under very high pressures and it is whipped up into a very dense oil vapor, this oil vapor exits the engine case via the PCV and is burned off.

Use of the 20 weight swill exaggerates this affect.

The owners manual expressly states that you check your oil level at each and every fuel fill-up for this EXACT reason, so stop being lazy and check it!

Thanks for the info!

I just checked my oil again, and it seems to be "okay" now. I didn't add any oil. Weird. Maybe the first time the car wasn't on a level surface, or maybe the dipstick just isn't a good way to determine oil level. Hm. I suppose it's a good thing the oil light never came on.

I tried 2 changes with 10-something mobil one and mine used over 3 quarts in 3k miles(30k on the clock). I have since been using 15-40 rotella in the summer and 10-40 penzoil in the winter(now has 130k) and it uses just over a quart every 5k. I put an air dryer(for air compressors) in the vac line to the intake mani to help catch some of the vapors. Like Doug said, it sucks ALOT through the intake. Its very obvious when you put the filter on it.

As a complete car newbie, can you explain in a bit more detail what this means?

kenscivic
03-31-2010, 10:39 AM
As a new EP3 owner, and coming from a previous engine that ate a quart every ~1250 miles, I must say I am impressed with how little oil I have needed to ad to my hatch. I check it every week!

You had a rx-8!? (giggle)

Andrew
03-31-2010, 10:48 AM

same here dude. i just did my oil change last week it looked like it consumed 1.5-2 quarts. and i tried out those napa gold oil filters. i like 'em haha at first i was worried 'cus i couldnt get it fit on there but i was trippin.

siep3
04-03-2010, 08:45 PM
if the engine consumes motor oil, does it mean there's something wrong with the engine or that's the way it is for k20?

Kerby
04-03-2010, 08:53 PM
I don't think it was stated but waiting for the oil light to come is not a good idea. When that light comes one its too late.
So check it often.

MBaG
05-08-2010, 01:32 PM

same here. i add oil occasionally, but this time i accidently added a bit too much. it's a little over the top dot. & is there a way to drain a bit without going through the bottom?

Tumble Weed
06-02-2010, 10:07 AM
mobil1 10w-30 s burn about a quart every 2,000 miles

Jukka
06-02-2010, 12:06 PM
I had the same issue, original owner was running mobile 1 5w20, i switched to royal purple (bad idea) 5w20, then 5w30, got sick of it, tried about 3 other brands. Everything kept burning. Right now im running Motul Eco-nergy 5w30. Don't burn a drop. And i run the piss out of my car. Almost 1000km a week. Best place ive found for pricing on it in the GTA is a shop at Hurontario & Lakeshore called Euroline. He charges $62.50 for a jug tax in.

dirtyduck17
06-02-2010, 01:05 PM
I had the same issue, original owner was running mobile 1 5w20, i switched to royal purple (bad idea) 5w20, then 5w30, got sick of it, tried about 3 other brands. Everything kept burning. Right now im running Motul Eco-nergy 5w30. Don't burn a drop. And i run the piss out of my car. Almost 1000km a week. Best place ive found for pricing on it in the GTA is a shop at Hurontario & Lakeshore called Euroline. He charges $62.50 for a jug tax in.

I've run the Honda Branded oil in my EP since I bought the car new. 5w20 until i reached 75k then 5w30 afterwards. I've never lost a significant amount of oil unless I've driven my car hard. A trip to the mountains will do it.

I put ~4.8qts with every change with a honda filter.

When I check my oil I start the car, let it run for 5-10 seconds, then shut down. Then I check the oil level. I keep mine at the top dot as best I can. Doing it on a level surface goes without saying.

Lucid Moments
06-02-2010, 01:25 PM
I don't think it was stated but waiting for the oil light to come is not a good idea. When that light comes one its too late.
So check it often.

Amen to that. If the oil light comes on you have an issue and need to stop driving the car right then. The oil light doesn't indicate low volume in the pan, it indicated low oil pressure.

And I think its odd that everyone has had issues with burning oil. Neither my stock K20A3, nor my K24A2 burned any oil with ~3000 mile oil change intervals.

VIZHUNZ02SI
06-02-2010, 03:05 PM
my k24a1 burn mobil 1 rp like gas. even if im not led footing it it jus seems to burn off fast. i've switched to penzole and it doesnt burn as fast. but yeah my very first car 92 toyota tercel with a 1.3 starlet motor with ever oil seal practically leaking never went through this much oil. i begin to wonder maybe the oil manufactors are cheating consumers and make us pay for more than what we need

Deadphishy
06-10-2010, 04:54 AM
My Ep is starting to use more oil then normal. I'm going through about 2 quarts every 3k miles. It really sucks when your using high priced oil. I might swicth to some cheaper stuff for the DDing and run the good stuff on track days.

I did however just put in a qt. of Lucas Sythetic Oil stabilizer. Took away the majority of my engine noise, and seems to be slowing the burn off.

talonXracer
06-10-2010, 08:40 AM
Put a oil catch can between the PCV and the intake mani and see how much oil is being vaporized and then suctioned off thru the PCV and burned, it will amaze you!!! Another source of oil burnoff is due to worn out valve seals/guides.

Some brands and weights of oil seem to vaporize far easier, The Amsoil 5w-40 seems to be decent as far as the rate of loss, the worse oil I have used so far, as far as burnoff goes, was the RP 5w30, next was the Mobil1. Set-up's, driving habits, wear all have an impact on this as well.

Deadphishy
06-10-2010, 07:46 PM
Great idea. I'll put a catch can on it this weekend.

For the record, when i'm running the Oil stabilizer, i don't beat on the car. I know it's not great under High RPMs.

On another note the car felt reall strong today. Mid-range is amazing, Top end is rather weak. I need an exhaust and dyno tune asap.

talonXracer
06-10-2010, 07:54 PM
The heavier weights will by their very nature of being heavier, fall out of suspension far quicker and burn off less. Again there are other contributing factors such as high rpm useage, higher temps, oil type etc.

AzNCrAzYcOoLeR
11-02-2010, 09:07 AM
do you guys finding the car more responsive when you top the car up..cause i do!

SandBagger
11-03-2010, 08:06 AM
After learning how to take the engine apart I found it useful.

Replacing rings and bearings are cheap. cleaning the block and inspecting everything is priceless.

Black04si
11-17-2010, 08:27 PM
hell im tring to figure out where the oil is going in mine i have 2500 on my oil change atm moment and have added 4 quarts since then this thing only has 70k miles on it i could understand maybe 1 quart but this thing is changing its own oil

talonXracer
11-17-2010, 08:35 PM
Put a DIY catch can between the PCV and mani, if you hammer on it alot then oil is being vaporized and then drawn into the combustion cycle thru the PCV

It also wouldnt hurt to do a compression check as well

beechstreet
11-17-2010, 10:12 PM
I was burning a good 2 quarts of oil for awhile, especially when using Mobil 1. Recently changed my PCV valve. Oil consumption has dropped considerably. Guess I shouldn't have waited 150,000 miles to change the PCV valve. The part is only $15 so you could try that and see if it helps.