PDA

View Full Version : intake as a First mod?

i-WERKS
07-15-2002, 06:59 AM
I need some advice from people.
I use to have a 90 civic si. The only mod in it was an intake.
I noticed some top end gain in power but when I removed the intake and put back the stock air box, I noticed the low end was a lot stronger than with the intake.

Is this normal? I know that an exhaust will solve this problem however I only want to get an intake for my car.

What to you guys/girls think?

Pradamuimui
07-15-2002, 01:56 PM
Personally if I was you I would do a CAI followed by a full exhaust system from the headers back.

Brenetics
07-15-2002, 02:01 PM
definitely intake first
followed be headers
then exhaust

HondaMan
07-15-2002, 03:49 PM
Intake will be my first real mod.

JSIR
07-15-2002, 04:18 PM
I've driven an SiR with AEM cold air intake and stock exhaust, and I am driving an SiR with stock intake and custom midpipe - no resonator. My current setup feels much stronger on the top end than the one I drove with just an intake. I think the biggest restriction on these cars is the stock mid-pipe, definitely worth the first mod. Not necessarily a new exhaust, just get rid of the mid-pipe, cheap also.

Si_Nutt
07-15-2002, 08:43 PM
I've driven an SiR with AEM cold air intake and stock exhaust, and I am driving an SiR with stock intake and custom midpipe - no resonator.
JSIR: What size pipe did you go with? Same as stock? How much did the midpipe run you? Thanx

i-WERKS
07-16-2002, 06:01 AM
won't you lose the low end torque by only adding an intake? Does anyone with an intake have this problem?

JSIR
07-16-2002, 09:21 AM
Originally posted by Si_Nutt

JSIR: What size pipe did you go with? Same as stock? How much did the midpipe run you? Thanx

I am using a custom 2.25 aluminized crush bent mid-pipe from cat to stock muffler connection, we re-used the stock Honda flanges and mounting points. Any ol muffler shop could make one of these. We eliminated the resonator altogether. I really like the setup. It is not loud at all, great sound.

You can actually feel vtec engage now, whereas you couldn't before. Top end is much improved as is mid range. You do lose a bit of light throttle response and very lower bottom end , but it isnt bad. The stock midpipe was made for maximum bottom end and light throttle response though. This mid-pipe cost me $100 in US funds for total installation and parts. I could have gotten a stainless pipe for more money but I wasn't sure if I would like it or not so I went cheap. I could have driven a couple hours and got a mandrel bent pipe for more money also, but this aint bad all. The 2.25 inch crush bent system goes down to 2 inche in the large bends, but the bends on this pipe are very mild, so you don't lose much. Besides the hole at the rear of the cat is 2 inches as well, so no reason to go any much bigger unless you eliminate the cat. I think 2 inch mandrel bent pipe would be fine also, or 2.25 inch crush bent, or 2.25 inch mandrel bent, take your choice, probably not much diff. between them. I would not want a 2.5" pipe or system on this car, I think that is over-sized and bottom end would suffer more. just my opinion. btw I have to credit miamijdm for the recommendation, he did it first using mandrel bent piping.

vtecpinoy
07-17-2002, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by i-WERKS
won't you lose the low end torque by only adding an intake? Does anyone with an intake have this problem?

when you put on a mod such as intake it shifts your power band to either the high end HP or low end torque. if you just add intake all you are doing is bringing in more air producing more HP. but there is nothing making sure that that air is being pushed out. that is why you need to change your HEADERS and EXHAUST system.

stingyboy
07-18-2002, 08:46 PM
yeah, you're right. but not all of us have the money to do this all at once. I-->H---->E. one game at a time, as the coach always said.

HondaMan
07-18-2002, 09:55 PM
Right on Stingy!

JSIR
07-19-2002, 02:30 AM
that's why I recommend a custom mid-pipe installation, best bang for your buck mod that you will find on this car. My approach is mid-pipe first, header second, and intake last.

vtecpinoy
07-19-2002, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by stingyboy
yeah, you're right. but not all of us have the money to do this all at once. I-->H---->E. one game at a time, as the coach always said.

never said you had to do it all at once. just trying to help the man out.

JSIR
07-20-2002, 06:56 AM
damn that's a nice avatar vtecpinoy, draws you like a magnet, its hard to read your posts/replies :D

vtecpinoy
07-20-2002, 07:20 AM
Originally posted by JSIR
damn that's a nice avatar vtecpinoy, draws you like a magnet, its hard to read your posts/replies :D

hahahahahaha!!! thanx bro.