PDA

View Full Version : oil change = power?

chakra71
11-30-2002, 10:55 PM
I hope i didn't miss this thread earlier... i searched and didn't find anything specific.

I got my oil changed today for the first time and i noticed a signifigant increase in power immideatly. Makes me wish i had done it yesterday before i went to the track! The car feels quicker, revs faster, and makes me smile more. I know that the oil level wasn't low before i changed it because i check my oil every time i fill up. (old habbit i picked up from driving an '85 blazer with 500k miles)

Any one else notice this nice surprise?

Dunrick
11-30-2002, 11:52 PM
Sup, I changed my oil myself today. Sort of a pain, but not too bad. I honestly didn't notice a difference...but I didn't get on the gas at all. Did you open it up or just around 3-4k rev's you noticed a difference? I dont know that much about cars, but I seriously doubt its the oil...Possibly though. Who knows. Hopefully some more knowledged people will answer your question :P

chakra71
12-01-2002, 10:02 AM
I was real easy on the car for a couple of miles, just incase there was a problem, then i checked the oil and it was fine so i lit into it. My woman even noticed a difference and she's not big into cars at all. I'm wondering if maybe the break-in oil is a special oil maybe put in to help the engine break in properly. I replaced the oil with Valvoline 5w-20 and used a honda filter. Maybe it's just the car thanking me for changing the oil.

02blksi
12-01-2002, 10:16 AM
FYI- If your oil level is to low, i-Vtec will NOT engage. Check your oil frequently. --Joe.

chakra71
12-01-2002, 10:48 AM
Oil is the engines lifeblood. I check it at every fuel stop. I know i had plenty of oil in the car before the change and just the right amount after the change.

Jpax
12-01-2002, 11:52 AM
OMG......after i changed my oil i was at the stop light and this WRX sti sticker version pulls next to me and revs it,.... light turns green and i smoked his but,......by 4 car lengths....this oil added 100 more hp......to bad the light that turned green was for the left turn people, so i ran the red light by accident.......good thing no one was turning left comming the other direction!!!........

Then i woke up.:mad:

RocketHatch
12-01-2002, 01:44 PM
I only way ive heard that an oil change can make more power is if you use a thinner oil like 00 Royal Purple. That doesn't even make a huge difference and if you want your engine to last don't use it. That stuff is that water.

BlasTech
12-01-2002, 02:34 PM
I called the dealer to see if I could get an appointment for my first change (3800 mi) and there was some old sounding guy who kept yelling that "Honda recommends you wait till 10,000 miles before your first oil change!" :eek:

Give me a break, I think the car could survive that long, but in the long run it wouldn't be prudent. :rolleyes:

I called again and talked to another guy and he said I should wait till 5000 miles, which I guess is reasonable, but when I went to top it off, I noticed the oil was getting black on the dipstick...at 2600 it was amber.

I'm starting to think about getting the filter and wrench and just doing it myself, but are there any other things that need to be checked like valves or something?:o

Dunrick
12-02-2002, 10:26 AM
Nah man, just go get a filter and drop that shit out. I changed mine at 1200 and it was sorta getting dark. I was suprised, but its as easy as 123, just crank your wheel totally to the left, and look up behind the front right wheel and its a blue oil filter (stock w/ the car) and just crank that sum'bitch off.....after you drain the oil of course......the oily pan is just right under it...its really not that hard at all. It would be if you dropped your car, you would have to jack it up....peace, good luck! Change that oil too, what is spending 18 bucks on oil and filter gonna hurt the car???? No

AkronSi
12-02-2002, 02:56 PM
I just changed my oil this weekend. This was oil change #2 (but the first one that I've done on this car). I had the dealer do the other one, and when I took the filter off....lo-and-behold, it was the larger filter for the other Civics. Those cheap bastards! Not stocking the Si filter.

I've also noticed that my car has really loosened up in about the last 1000 miles. It sounds so much better, especially when VTEC kicks in.

chunky
12-02-2002, 08:41 PM
it's been proven before that fresh oil can restore a few hp, nothing huge, on our cars maybe 2-3hp if your oil was really dirty. but your car's hp output varies by 2-3 hp on a day to day basis as well depending on a lot of things besides the condition of the oil.