PDA

View Full Version : Oil catch can need a little bit of help not a stupid thread lol

rusty#1
03-28-2010, 10:16 PM
when the shop put my motor in the car he routed my catch can(moroso) hose to the breather valve, i heard and read that this was a waste of time because no oil will come out of it, I already did my second oil change and still no oil?

I haven't really looked for other spaces to put the catch can yet but it looks like its going to be a tight fit if i try and put the catch can on the passenger side, my question is if the hose is too long from the catch can to the pcv valve will the oil make it to the catch can or get stuck in the hose?

thanks guys

BlownSi05
03-29-2010, 05:31 AM
The oil will make it from the PCV to the CC even with the long hose, but it would of course be better to cut the hose to length, and allow enough for routing of the hose to make it look neat and clean. Just make sure there are no kinks in the hose.

The breather off of the valve cover should run to the intake, and also make sure that the heater element is still attached. It is a grey piece that you can't miss, but it heats the air coming through to remove any vapor to prevent condensation from forming, which could result is some water in the oil.

talonXracer
03-29-2010, 05:36 AM
It is totally useless if it is attached to the valve cover(it is an inlet, not an exit). The Kseries utilizes a PCV system that is considerably different than other engines. It needs to be placed between the PCV and the intake mani.

rusty#1
03-29-2010, 04:54 PM
Ok sounds good soo i can just put that little filter over the breather valve or would it be better to route the hose from there back to the intake?

If there is no room on the passenger side im just gonna use a longer hose from the cc to the pcv valve sounds good?

and last thing im pretty mechanically inclined i can figure it out but can someone run through on how to connect the cc hose to the pcv valve do i just unplug it from the intake manifold and plug it in the the rubber hose that goes to the cc and then do i block off the intake manifold port where the pcv valve connected to?

thanks

talonXracer
03-29-2010, 05:05 PM
DO NOT use just a filter, the original heater section needs to be put back in or you will introduce moisture into the engine. You can add the filter instead of routing back to the intake, but it needs to be approx 6" from the VC. Sorta like this....

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g96/talonxracer/IMG_0930-1.jpg

rusty#1
03-30-2010, 11:02 AM
ok i see thanks talon umm what i dont understand is my cc only has one line coming off of it doesnt it need a second vacuum line to pull the oil from the pcv valve into the catch can?

talonXracer
03-30-2010, 11:17 AM
If that catch can only has a single line sell it to a DSM or early Honda guy. The Kseries requires a non-vented dual line catch can. The easiest is the DIY catch can using the moisture filter/trap for a air tool line.

It will fill up in about a weeks time or so and need to be drained.

rusty#1
03-30-2010, 11:18 AM
just took a quick glance at my car because i have to go to work i cant find that grey piece and nothing is plugged into the hole of my intake just a open hole?

talonXracer
03-30-2010, 11:22 AM
take a pic

rusty#1
03-30-2010, 01:03 PM
really frustrated now called the shop an asked them just too see what he would say becuase i have been going there for a while now and dont like calling ppl out he said that sounds normal that its not picking up any oil it should when i start boosting it here are some pics off my phone

talonXracer
03-30-2010, 01:39 PM
It will capture very little when boosted,

All of the vapors will still go thru the PCV right into the mani and then into the engine. The Kseries has a significantly different system from early Honda's.

rusty#1
03-30-2010, 01:51 PM
yea thanks alot i guess im just either gonna talk to the shop about it or get another one

rusty#1
03-30-2010, 02:27 PM
if i call the shop to refund me on the catch can and tell him that this one isnt working and tell him why, do you think he will agree with me what do you recommend i do, i mean 100$ isnt small change should i call moroso and ask them to talk to the shop?

talonXracer
03-30-2010, 03:35 PM
I doubt that moroso will do anything but maybe the shop would, though again it is a used item now.

You could remove the filter and use that as the exit port to connect to the mani, though that catchcan is very large to fit on the pass side of the car.

sirsol66
03-30-2010, 06:12 PM
Talon, do you have a diagram of correct routing for dual inlet catch can? I've had them on my old dsm's and hondas and ran them off the pcv system, but the K series is all new to me. Any help would be appreciated.

talonXracer
03-30-2010, 06:25 PM
The PCV is down by the alternator and has a short tube that goes from it to the mani. You simply use a longer hose and route it over behind the pass side headlight, where most put their catchcan, and then another tube to the mani.

You can just make out the DIY catchcan behind the headlight in this pic, just to the right of the idler pulley.
http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g96/talonxracer/IMG_0574.jpg

rusty#1
03-31-2010, 11:27 AM
i see what your saying but i thought the filter was used to take in air and thats what provides the vacume from the breather valve taking in air thus pulling oil from the intake manifold into the cc do you need a filter on the cc? what would be a good arguement to the shop just say that the breather valve on the new hondas is ment for air to come in not anything out?

talonXracer
03-31-2010, 12:44 PM
The heater portion is used to heat the incoming air. It doesnt enter in a steady stream but enters in a pulse pattern, ie in 1", out 1/2", in 1", out 1/2". This pulsing thru the heater heats the air to keep condensation from forming inside the VC/engine as it enters.

A filter located on the can mounted where you have it does not create a vacuum, that is ENTIRELY a function of the draw at the inlet to the intake mani from the PCV.

The engine produces a vacuum within the mani as the intake charge is sucked into the combustion chamber, this vacuum pulls the oil mist and combustion gases which leaks past the rings, out through the PCV valve. The air that is pulled from the engine block must be replaced or it would greatly damage the rings, cylinder walls and engine seals. that air comes from the VC vent inlet. This system greatly reduces pumping losses(read reduction of whp)

Now that is for NA application, when boosted yes there will be a very minor amount of air exiting the VC at times due to boost past the rings AND through the PCV. but not enough that the VC needs a catchcan.

rusty#1
03-31-2010, 03:26 PM
thanks for sticking through with me on this i def learned alot, i have decided to go with the diy 20$ cc on k20a.org thanks for all the help im just gonna sell the one i have right now for 50$ if anyone wants it

last questions can you explain to me what u said earlier on how the newer honda's use a different system compared to the older hondas? and am i suppose to be running the heater element between my cc right now how its set up in my pics?

btw here is the link to k20a.org for the DIY catch can

http://www.k20a.org/forum/showthread.php?t=10278&highlight=dollar+catch

talonXracer
03-31-2010, 06:07 PM
This is a better pic of the DIY that I used.
http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g96/talonxracer/IMG_0298.jpg