PDA

View Full Version : brake rotor options

the JigGa mAn
03-29-2010, 02:34 PM
its time to replace my f/r rotors. ive got new pads to go along with them (hawks hps) what are good rotors for dd/track? i was looking at these but am open to other suggestions and your experience with different rotors.

http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/brakes.jsp?&make=Centric&model=Premium+Rotor&group=Premium+Rotor&autoMake=Honda&autoModel=Civic+Si+Hatchback&autoYear=2003&autoModClar=&perfCode=S

http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/brakes.jsp?&make=Power+Slot&model=Power+Alloy+Rotor&group=Power+Alloy+Rotor&autoMake=Honda&autoModel=Civic+Si+Hatchback&autoYear=2003&autoModClar=&perfCode=S
**ep is 03 with stock 4 lug with 15" wheels :( **

salvatore
03-29-2010, 04:57 PM
Get brembo blanks, have had very good luck with those. Get a big brake kit if you can afford it, rotora/ stop tech or brembo. Rotora kit retails for about 1300.

talonXracer
03-29-2010, 05:00 PM
I had excellent results with dirt cheap AutoZone blanks.

the JigGa mAn
03-29-2010, 06:14 PM
Get brembo blanks, have had very good luck with those. Get a big brake kit if you can afford it, rotora/ stop tech or brembo. Rotora kit retails for about 1300.

not really interested in a bbk just yet, plus if i get a bbk id have to get bigger wheels

I had excellent results with dirt cheap AutoZone blanks.
thank you kind sir, i was waiting for your reply! as well as the replies of others with knowledge on automotives and track experience

ep_hatcher_510
03-29-2010, 06:22 PM
I'd get the cheaper one, all rotors are pretty much the same. Although the slotted might give you some positive benefits in dissipating heat, dust, water, and i believe also helps to de-glaze brake pads, but in the DD environment these factors wouldn't matter much.

the JigGa mAn
03-29-2010, 06:29 PM
I'd get the cheaper one, all rotors are pretty much the same. Although the slotted might give you some positive benefits in dissipating heat, dust, water, and i believe also helps to de-glaze brake pads, but in the DD environment these factors wouldn't matter much.

i thought the same too..till i read this
http://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=765187

good info!

Lucid Moments
03-29-2010, 06:29 PM
I'm with Doug, AutoZone works well. Of the two you have posted the Centric looks like a fair price, the slotted ones are a waste of money IMHO.

the JigGa mAn
03-29-2010, 06:39 PM
I'm with Doug, AutoZone works well. Of the two you have posted the Centric looks like a fair price, the slotted ones are a waste of money IMHO.

ok good, these are the same replies from clubep3 as well...looks like we have a winner

salvatore
03-29-2010, 08:47 PM
All rotors are not the same lol. Thats like saying all cars are the same. Bring a set of cheapo rotors to track and after first corner they will be warped. Trust me. You get what you pay for, brembo blanks can take the abuse, cheapo rotors cannot. I say this cuz u mentioned track, if its just for daily driving get cheapos.

Drew1d
03-29-2010, 09:17 PM
Stock aren't bad. :mredface:

EP3driver
03-30-2010, 04:25 PM
If you buy autozone make sure the clerk enters them in the computer...when I got mine they did not do that and now I cannot go exchange them under warranty since I cannot find the receipt!

Kumar
03-30-2010, 05:21 PM
ok good, these are the same replies from clubep3 as well...looks like we have a winner

I used to buy my rotors from Autozone but they don't have the correct size rotor for the 02-03 Si. The ones they sell are the same size as the 99-00 Si rear rotors. Napa sells the right size rear rotor for the 02-03 Si.

K20wagon
03-30-2010, 05:36 PM
Rotors are pretty much all the same, they all do a good job. And ya you cant go wrong with just blank Autozone rotors. I had the autozone rotors on my ep before I swapped them out to what I have now but they did a good job. Now I have the Powerslot slotted rotors and they are great rotors to. So either way you cant go wrong.

talonXracer
03-30-2010, 06:12 PM
All rotors are not the same lol. Thats like saying all cars are the same. Bring a set of cheapo rotors to track and after first corner they will be warped. Trust me. You get what you pay for, brembo blanks can take the abuse, cheapo rotors cannot. I say this cuz u mentioned track, if its just for daily driving get cheapos.

LOL, another warped rotor fantasy......

ep_hatcher_510
03-30-2010, 11:37 PM

Have you even been to track to say this? And brake rotors do NOT warp.

RedSiBaron
03-31-2010, 09:18 AM
i say even for daily use, brembo blanks are fantastic, get em!! if you live in a climate where things rust, paint the center of the hubs on them with black VHT high temp paint first so they dont look all nasty in 10k

Drew1d
03-31-2010, 01:15 PM
http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q44/schwag512/ep3/Brakes.jpg Stock. :msmooch:

RedSiBaron
03-31-2010, 01:44 PM
brembo blanks

http://www.redpepperracing.com/gallery/d/205179-2/Picture+010small.JPG

rd02SiR
03-31-2010, 05:30 PM
man, i wish i live where you guys live. There isnt a spec of rust anywhere!!!! damn you!!!!

RedSiBaron
03-31-2010, 05:43 PM
are you kidding me!?!?! haha that shit that i posted was all reposted, i get a fuck ton of rust in ohio...we get less than an inch of snow and they coat the roads with salt...fuck that, if we even think we are going to get snow or ice (even if it doesnt happen) they coat the roads with salt...i am just anal about keeping rust away since my first car (86si hatch) rusted out multiple times and i had to fix it!

K20wagon
03-31-2010, 05:52 PM
Lol my rotors look like that right now cause I changed them last week. But for real, the salt and snow is terrible down here to. Not as bad up north but its still bad. From the all the snow we got this year you should of seen the rust that feel out when I took my old rotos off.

rd02SiR
03-31-2010, 07:22 PM
nah i'm talking about the control arm and suspension parts, yours is all shiny and there, mine is all dull and flaked off with rust. . Most of Red's bolts are still a "metal" colour haha. Mines rust colour lol. Are the calipers new too? Mine are.....you guessed, rust. hahahahahaa

rd02SiR
03-31-2010, 07:27 PM
for example, here is a pic when i was doing my pad install. just look at the bolts and arm in the back

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x167/rd02sir/IMG_0735.jpg

Drew1d
03-31-2010, 07:29 PM
Dude, I just installed that one. It rusted in two weeks.

(I also installed my other set of LCA's, w/Poly Bushings.)

EP3driver
04-06-2010, 03:29 PM
What is a good site to buy Brembo from?

i say even for daily use, brembo blanks are fantastic, get em!! if you live in a climate where things rust, paint the center of the hubs on them with black VHT high temp paint first so they dont look all nasty in 10k