PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust Thoughts

wlls
03-29-2010, 03:30 PM
I am currently in the proses of doing an k20a2 swap then I'm planing on getting a JRSC. I'm looking for an exhaust that will deliver a lot of power when the JRSC is installed. How ever I don't want something too loud. Someone was telling me to get a skunk2 mega power R I think thats just asking for tickets. Ive always loved the Apex World Sport 2 if was was to get the Apex would I get less power then if I was to go with the Skunk 2..or does anyone have another suggestions in exhaust systems. thanks for the help

MBaG
03-30-2010, 03:28 AM
nobody replied to you. :[ spoon n1 exhaust?

Onasty
03-30-2010, 05:02 AM
if your not looking for loud do not go with any skunk2 cuz mine is soo loud is make my back seatbelts rattle i saw people trying the obx twinloop muffler

BlownSi05
03-30-2010, 06:10 AM
Power and quiet are hard to put into the same sentence. They do not really like to go together. If you run a race header, it is going to be loud, period. the quietest exhaust that I have dealt with personally on the EP is the Fujitsubo RM-01A. It is made only for the CTR though, so you have to have a DC-5 Type-S specific header or test pipe to fit it. And it is also not cheap. I have heard that the new Greddy SE exhaust is very quiet compared to most others. I personally run the Fujitsubo I listed above with a shorty with a 2.5" collector and a 2.5" resonated test pipe for an RSX-S, and even at WOT, it is very very tolerable. Cruising at 80mph @ 3900 RPM on the interstate is also very nice, with very minimal drone, almost to the point of not even hearing it. Just my $.02 =)

Edit: I forgot to mention that the shorty setup only lost me 8 whp over the race header, but the mid-range torque felt much better and was much stronger.

mobomelter
03-30-2010, 07:27 AM
I love my neuspeed however it probably wouldn't fit your needs and it's been discontinued for years. Anyways I would just get a midpipe and get an obx twinloop. I've heard nothing but good things about that muffler.

talonXracer
03-30-2010, 07:56 AM
Power and low noise is VERY EASILY accomplished!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But not cheap!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sure the OBX loop muffler does reduce the Db's, but it isnt designed to last very long(but cheap enough to replace every other year or so), Now if you want a top end loop muffler that will last the life of the car then go with the Hytech loop. I seen significantly lower noise output with LARGE power GAINS over the typical fart can muffler. Here is my dyno showing the DCsports single can exhaust without a cat to the Hytech loop with a metallic cat, very nice gains to say the least!
http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g96/talonxracer/retunedynograph.jpg

There is NO commercially available complete loop muffler other than the seriously overpriced Mugen twin loop.

Twin loop is a misnomer, it only makes a single loop, a better name would be a twin pass, single loop muffler, unless someone has changed the laws of geometry without telling the rest of the world...........

http://s54.photobucket.com/albums/g96/talonxracer/?action=view&current=MVI_0672.flv

BeaterEP
03-30-2010, 08:02 AM
So some of the reliability issues with the OBX are grounded in reality? I always take the "X" product sucks! posts on the internet with a grain of salt. :biggrin1:
Also LOL at geometry.

talonXracer
03-30-2010, 08:10 AM
Of course OBX has issues, afterall they are typical cheap ass Chinese made products,,,"you get what you pay for" is a rather relevant saying when discussing OBX. Not saying they wont work, just that fit, finish, and quality are subpar.

BeaterEP
03-30-2010, 08:13 AM
Well yeah, I mean there's obviously a reason the thing only cost me $80 LOL. Like I said though, lots of trash talk on the internet from lots of people that may not have any actual experience with a given item, so you never know.
As far as it goes, I'm pretty friggin happy with my $80 muffler! Sounds nice with my setup, and hey, budget win! Maybe if and when it bites it I'll have the budget for something a little more, but if this thing lasts well enough I might just keep throwing the disposables on lulz.

BlownSi05
03-30-2010, 08:27 AM
Power and low noise is VERY EASILY accomplished!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But not cheap!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sure the OBX loop muffler does reduce the Db's, but it isnt designed to last very long(but cheap enough to replace every other year or so), Now if you want a top end loop muffler that will last the life of the car then go with the Hytech loop. I seen significantly lower noise output with LARGE power GAINS over the typical fart can muffler. Here is my dyno showing the DCsports single can exhaust without a cat to the Hytech loop with a metallic cat, very nice gains to say the least!
http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g96/talonxracer/retunedynograph.jpg

There is NO commercially available complete loop muffler other than the seriously overpriced Mugen twin loop.

Twin loop is a misnomer, it only makes a single loop, a better name would be a twin pass, single loop muffler, unless someone has changed the laws of geometry without telling the rest of the world...........

http://s54.photobucket.com/albums/g96/talonxracer/?action=view&current=MVI_0672.flv

I have to back up Talon on this. I tried the OBX Loop and could not stand it. His Hytech though sounds great and is much quieter with the hi-flow Cat he has on the car.

talonXracer
03-30-2010, 09:11 AM
Well yeah, I mean there's obviously a reason the thing only cost me $80 LOL. Like I said though, lots of trash talk on the internet from lots of people that may not have any actual experience with a given item, so you never know.
As far as it goes, I'm pretty friggin happy with my $80 muffler! Sounds nice with my setup, and hey, budget win! Maybe if and when it bites it I'll have the budget for something a little more, but if this thing lasts well enough I might just keep throwing the disposables on lulz.

That is why I said replacing it every other year or so isnt that bad due to the cost.