PDA

View Full Version : Retaining abs with 5 lug?

moso
03-30-2010, 02:08 AM
So I might do a 5 lug swap off a type s I'm going to be using type s everything other then the hubs so I can retain my stock axles, I heard people have issues with abs though is this true? Any info is appreciated

FoReVaPmP
03-30-2010, 04:55 AM
What Hubs are you going to use???....

RedSiBaron
03-30-2010, 06:09 AM
you should upgrade to the type s hubs and axles...that way you know everything is there in the future, less hassle, and the type s axles are much much stronger...do it right the first time is what i say...

the issue with the abs would be clearance because where the stock ep3 sensors sit vs where the type s ones sit is different...for example, if you try to put the ep3 sensors into the type s setup they go too far in and make contact with the axle unless you shim them...

moso
03-30-2010, 05:16 PM
Is it possible to space out my sensors with washers if I use complete type s?

talonXracer
03-30-2010, 06:08 PM
If you get parts from the salvage yard you may get the proper sensors, I did.

BUT you have me very confused as to what you are really trying to do, why swap out for typeS, I take it you have a 04'-05', if you want the larger brakes simply install the typeS rotors and calipers on your present knuckles. Far cheaper and easier.

moso
03-30-2010, 06:32 PM
i have a 02-03 =[
If you get parts from the salvage yard you may get the proper sensors, I did.

BUT you have me very confused as to what you are really trying to do, why swap out for typeS, I take it you have a 04'-05', if you want the larger brakes simply install the typeS rotors and calipers on your present knuckles. Far cheaper and easier.

talonXracer
03-30-2010, 07:19 PM
i have a 02-03 =[

Then you will not be able to retain your 4lug hubs and use typeS brakes.

BUT you could get later EP3 hubs or base RSX hubs and retain your ability to use the smaller EP3 axles AND install the typeS brakes as they are both 5lug.

I would just use the entire typeS setup as the axles are considerably stronger.

moso
03-30-2010, 07:47 PM
ok i see, sorry if im asking for too much but can you tell me exactly what i need to do the 5 lug swap for both front and rear IF i do use the type s axles? and i believe for 05-06 i need more stuff then the 02-04 correct?
Then you will not be able to retain your 4lug hubs and use typeS brakes.

BUT you could get later EP3 hubs or base RSX hubs and retain your ability to use the smaller EP3 axles AND install the typeS brakes as they are both 5lug.

I would just use the entire typeS setup as the axles are considerably stronger.

RedSiBaron
03-30-2010, 09:07 PM
ya, you need LCAs for the 05/06

i dont know if mary has her DIY up, but its an excellent one on this swap, i followed it and it told me everything i "NEEDED" to make it happen...

heres off the top of my head the absolute best way to make it happen for you IMO...

for your 02/03 you will need these components off of the 02-04 type s

-front knuckles (inspect the lower balljoints for wear and boot damage, and make sure they are properly seated in the knuckle...many times whoever is selling the swap, which is usually off a total part out off crsx, has either damaged the knuckles getting them out or they were damaged in an accident, and the ball joint needs to be replaced. the shit part about this is that honda does not sell oem replacement lower balljoints and says that they should not be replaced and new knuckles MUST be purchased. This, while mostly being a liability thing, is not true. You can purchase aftermarket press in lower ball joints for the knuckles. More than likely though, the most damage you will run into is damage to the boot, in which case you only need to replace the boot, and you can pick them up from honda, i suggest doing this regardless of their condition)

-front hubs (you should get new bearings pressed into these while you are at it, then you wont have to worry about it later)

-type s axles (if buying used axles, inspect boots, if torn, inspect condition of the CV joints. Also use this as an opportunity to rebuild the axles if you feel inclined, you can buy the rebuild kits from honda, but be warned there are two different bands on the axles, the inner and the outer are different and REQUIRE different tools that must be purchased to properly tighten them safely. at this point you need to ask yourself if you are comfortable rebuilding axles. so if they are bad, you may just want to find better condition used ones or purchase new ones from acura...i highly suggest not buying used axles from an autoparts store, they typically do not last very long...i normally trust autozone but i had one of their rebuilt honda axles on an old car of mine, and the cv joint went bad within the year, the rebuilt one on the other side of the car was never a problem)

-type s calipers front (rears are the same as on the ep3, but i suggest if you get them used, get the rears and do a rebuild on all 4 calipers before you do the swap, good as new)

-type s disks front and rear (you can use old used ones, but if i were you, get some brembo blanks (slotted or drilled rotors are a waste of money and dont really do anything, my local shop that road races dc5s just runs brembo blanks)

-rear hubs (you cant replace the bearings in these, you have to buy the whole new hub blah)

-all 4 abs sensors (i know you can use your stock ep3 ones and simply shim them, but if you can get the type s ones, it will be plug and play)

-NEW AXLE NUTS!!!! again NEW AXLE NUTS first off, they are a different size (make sure you have the right size socket for them) and you absolutely do not want to reuse axle nuts (ive reused them before, but its a good idea to get new ones at least this time while you are there)

oh ya and get new brake pads...also while you are in there i highly suggest getting some stainless brake lines from goodridge, they are like 100 bucks from the right supplier and they make a huge difference, but if you dont want to spend the money you can just reuse your stock ep3 lines, they are the same

also, when you do this swap i HIGHLY HIGHLY HIGHLY HIGHLY (and if you didnt get it before, HIGHLY) suggest that you install the type s proportioning valve (they were the same 02-06) and the 15/16s type s master cylinder (that was also 02-06)...without these two components your brake system will be extremely unbalanced and will not "squat" evenly under braking. it will have a propensity to lock up the fronts before the rears, will not fully apply the rears (this can groove your rotors) and it will also cause the pedal to feel more spongy. also it will not have a proper braking threshhold that applies resistance and will instead your brakes will go from off to full ON really quickly, which is not a good thing...trust me on this point, i ran without these two pieces for a year out of laziness and upon putting them on, i was finally able to use the brakes to their full potential...in a nut shell, proportioning valve for even fluid distribution for even braking and master cylinder for proper pedal feel and pressure application

i do suggest certain things in this post, like rebuilding components...this is not always the best approach for everyone...if you are not comfortable with this, then i suggest just going ahead and buying GOOD used parts, or buying NEW parts and save yourself the worry of whether you did it right...PM me with any questions on this swap ill be more than happy to help you

anyone feel free to chime in if i forgot something, its been a couple years now since i did the swap and this is all off the top of my head...

and since i already put all this effort into my post, heres how my swap looked when all was finished

http://www.redpepperracing.com/gallery/d/205176-2/Picture+007small.JPG

http://www.redpepperracing.com/gallery/d/205179-2/Picture+010small.JPG

http://www.redpepperracing.com/gallery/d/205185-2/Picture+016small.JPG

i repainted all components with VHT high temp paint, bought new hardware, new brembo blank disks, new stainless goodridge lines, rebuilt all 4 calipers, rebuilt used axles, pressed in new MOOG lower ball joints, new tie rod ends, new KOYO front wheel bearings, and new lug nuts

last thing...if you notice in my picture, the type s brakes have a cool little addition over our stock ep3, the splash guard behind the disks not only keeps moisture off the back of the disk, but it ALSO acts as a brake duct to cool the disks...

moso
03-30-2010, 11:12 PM
thank you very very much

moso
03-31-2010, 05:09 PM
one more question is the master cylinder and the prop valve a complete bolt on? or do i have to mess with the brake lines

RedSiBaron
03-31-2010, 05:41 PM
well the brake lines connect to them, so you will have to disconnect the lines from the stock ones to install the new ones, but your oem lines will not have to be changed...i did my MS and prop valve in like 20 minutes not counting the time i spent rebleeding the system...

i should add that when you install all this stuff make sure you spend a lot of time rebleeding the system to make sure you get all the air out of the lines...there will be a lot

start at the left front corner and go around the system clockwise...keep going until you can get atleast 3-5 pumps without any air coming out...it pays off a lot...

talonXracer
03-31-2010, 05:58 PM
I swapped out the proportioning valve and felt zero differences, I think I need to try the typeS mastercylinder as well.

moso
03-31-2010, 07:40 PM
cool does the master cylinder come with a brake boosteR?

talonXracer
03-31-2010, 08:22 PM
You would use the EP3's booster.

moso
03-31-2010, 08:23 PM
got it thnx
You would use the EP3's booster.

uneekazn1
04-02-2010, 07:15 PM
Would the dc5 type-s mc will fit on the ep3's brake booster or better to have dc5's brake booster.?

RedSiBaron
04-04-2010, 05:56 PM
I swapped out the proportioning valve and felt zero differences, I think I need to try the typeS mastercylinder as well.

you really do, when i did both i felt a huge difference