PDA

View Full Version : Stock Shocks with Lowering Springs. ADVICE!!! PLEASE

EP3_Kolendo
03-30-2010, 06:51 AM
I really want to drop my car. I know that coilovers are way better than just the springs. But I drive carefully, especially over speed bumps and pot holes. I got 70k on my ep. I need some opinions on what kind of suspension would work. I really want to go with lowering springs. Please let me know what you guys think.

BeaterEP
03-30-2010, 07:57 AM
I think you should look in to some Koni yellows. They've got a good rep around here for pairing up nicely with springs. :biggrin1:

EP3_Kolendo
03-31-2010, 07:10 AM
thanks man. im going to have to look up on those. what kind of suspension set up do you have?

BlownSi05
03-31-2010, 07:35 AM
Koni Yellows with Ground Control springs are a great setup. In my case, I ran for almost 4 years with H & R springs dropped about 2 inches on stock struts and they held up fine, but you have a lot more mileage on yours then when I did mine. I would not recommended for you personally. The HFP suspension is nice and can be had for a decent price, but you have to look at some pics and see if the drop is enough for you. Just beware that handling will suffer past around 1" of drop, so make sure you think about what you really want to do with the car.

Drew1d
03-31-2010, 07:53 AM
There's something the way stock shocks are valved, that they don't do very well with a drop.
Perhaps some questions to give you pause;
Do you have aftermarket rims? How far can you drop without rubbing? Will this allow some body roll?
How stiff do you need the springs? Do you have potholes, will the car bottom out?
If you drop that far, will you need a camber kit? (low) Roll center adjusters and cut bumpstops? (Lower) Steering bracket relocater or inverted tie rod ends, rolling fenders, ridiculous camber? (Lower still)
Are you willing to put up with thumping and creaking this will create?

My solution for wheel gap is bigger wheels. It actually raises the car, but it "looks" lower. I had my car low but couldn't take all the bs associated with it. (Because I couldn't get it right.) If the roads you drive are as flat as your avatar, you'll probably be fine. (Mine are potholes, dirt roads, broken highways.)

I should also point out, that lowering the car will affect handling, but if you are more the highway/drag race type, it won't make much of a difference.

Good Luck.

cronicEP
04-01-2010, 07:35 AM
i'd say drop the car with springs on your stock shocks and then just save up for coilovers

EP3_Kolendo
04-03-2010, 05:19 AM
thanks guys. i was looking at coilovers again. and my friend had an ep until it got totalled :( and he had the Raceland coilovers. i think i might go with those. i read alot of reviews and no complains.

BeaterEP
04-03-2010, 09:36 AM
Sorry man, missed that you posted up earlier. :mbiggrin:
I'm running the HFP suspension right now, had it for about a year and friggin love it! Got it on sale a while back here on the `Hatch from a vendor, the deal was great and my stock setup was dying on me, so it was time.
Drew1d makes some good points to consider. The biggest is that anything more than about a 1" drop on a McPherson(sp?) suspension means a deterioration in handling. That's why I went with the HFP, =about 1" after it settles, progressive springs that ride almost stock normally, but stiffen up nicely in the turns. It's a good "compromise" setup for my DD.

I know it kinda sucks, but I'd save up until you've got the cash to do it right. Yeah, that means you keep riding around with the 4x4 stance, but it also means you don't wreck some other components unintentionally by doing the job halfway.

Just post up with any more questions, somebody around here always has answers! :thumbu:

talonXracer
04-03-2010, 10:03 AM
At that mileage the stock dampers will not last very long at all on lowered springs. The HFP is a great alternative as is the Koni yellows and Ground Control's. If you are planning on other mods like RCA's, sways, bracing etc, a coilover will start to be called for, and not el-cheapo's either, quality only. Be prepared for some squeeks and groans to start showing their ugly side, LOL