PDA

View Full Version : LED rear signals?

ZoomBoy
04-02-2010, 12:18 PM
Hey, I tried searching but nothing is coming up - info might have been deleted when the board went down.

Is it possible to replace the rear turn signals, stop bulbs, etc with LED's or will this not work? I know some LED's have issues flashing on and off - any input is appreciated! :mbiggrin:

Jukka
04-02-2010, 07:44 PM
usually with LEDs for any blinking light, you need a load balancer. They wire in line before the bulb. I wouldn't bother with LEDs though. Main reason, LED bulbs are single directional lights. If you throw them in your tail lights, they are visible from right behind the car, but not as much off to either side of the car. It makes things a bit more dangerous for other drivers.

ZoomBoy
04-02-2010, 09:06 PM
OK thanks for the advice!

Chad
04-05-2010, 08:22 AM
usually with LEDs for any blinking light, you need a load balancer. They wire in line before the bulb. I wouldn't bother with LEDs though. Main reason, LED bulbs are single directional lights. If you throw them in your tail lights, they are visible from right behind the car, but not as much off to either side of the car. It makes things a bit more dangerous for other drivers.

They are getting better with using multiple elements to fill out the lenses,in fact more and more have a larger quantity of side firing LED's than front firing.

As for flashers, YES you need to put a load resistor to make a THERMAL flasher THINK that it's seeing the full load of a filament, but that kinda defeats the purpose of the power savings IMHO. They make electronic flashers which has a flash rate controlled with an electronic timer circuit as opposed to a bi-metallic strip that heats up.

ttttrigg3r
06-20-2010, 09:49 PM
What would you have to put in series with the LED replacement? Can you show a link to a product or something?

Chad
06-21-2010, 06:36 AM
You have to put it in parallel not series, it's a load resistor, most places that sell, read the post above yours. Your best bet is to go with an electronic, not thermal flasher. this wway it's not load dependent. Our car does not have lamp failure warning so it's cool.

SkareKrow
06-21-2010, 06:43 AM
Good Info here, Didnt know much about LED's before :)! :bump2: for more info :)

AzNCrAzYcOoLeR
06-21-2010, 07:15 AM
I have LED brake lights on my car. Matchs with my spoiler led brake light. I didn't change the turn signals Looks nice.

But something's weird now, i'm not sure if its because of the leD brake lights because i am sure it didn't happen a week into installing them
When my general lights are on off mode and i press the brake, the AC / Recycle/rear defrost LED would dim as if there parking lights were on.

weird

ttttrigg3r
06-22-2010, 10:11 PM
http://www.thexenonstore.com/ledbulbs.php

down at the bottom is a "load equalizer". Is that the thing you're talking about chad? I'd buy some and try them out if you say it is.

Chad
06-23-2010, 07:32 AM
Nope that's a resistor to trick the thermal flasher/lamp failure warning into thinking there's a real bulb there. An electronic flasher allows you to just plug-n-play without worrying about resistors and bullshit like that.