PDA

View Full Version : Wiping the plastic inside

ttttrigg3r
04-03-2010, 10:34 PM
I try spraying armorall on a paper or napkin or even a towel and it leaves shit when i wipe down my plastic. it's driving me nuts. What wipe do I use to not leave residue?

0h5ive_EP3
04-03-2010, 11:38 PM
i used meguiars interior cleaner and it works really well! not too shiny and still looks clean

RHDmeatwagon
04-04-2010, 06:54 AM
I would say not using a napkin. Try a microfiber it doesnt have to be anything crazy expensive. but second off Armor all does have a high silicone content which will eventually cause brittleness on your dash and whatnot. Try using a water based protectant like Poorboys natural look or if you are going for a shinier look you can use 303 Aersospace protectant which is awesome and has spf40. its worth spending the extra money to get real protection.

ttttrigg3r
04-04-2010, 10:37 AM
i think i can get some microfiber towels. Those things are washable and reusable right? So Armor All is not good for your dash and trim? that sux because I have 2 bottles of that stuff.

RickEP3
04-04-2010, 10:52 AM
The armorall thing as far as I know has not been proven yet. I know it happened with the original formula in the 60s/70s or around then. I used it on my '77 celica for 8 years and my ep for 4 years and no problems, HOWEVER I decided to change to Meguiar's Gold Class everything, interior and exterior. It does cost more but it's worth the premium. Also, in the case of the interior wipes I used to use 5-6 armorall wipes every (weekly) cleaning, now I use 3-4 wipes every other (weekly) cleaning and the just wipe down the interior with a microfiber the cleanings in between since there is still more than enough protectant left. So really I'm spending less money.

nrengle
04-04-2010, 11:11 AM
I'd suggest ditching the ArmourAll line. Go with what was mentioned above with the Poorboys or 303 Aerospace brands. You will not find these in stores, you'll have to order them from the net from a place such as autogeek.net They are well worth the money though. I hate that greasy shiny look myself too, the 303 stuff gives a decent matte finish.

One thing I suggest too as all these are are protectants, is to use a APC (such as Meguiars APC or APC+) mixed at about 10:1 (10 parts water 1 part APC) to clean all your trim first, then apply the protectant. Especially after using something that is as greasy as AA is. This way you have a nice fresh clean surface for your new stuff to bond to.

And yes get some cheap microfiber for the interior. But whatever you do do the CD test with them first before using on paint (And wash them too!) The CD test is this, rub the towel across a CD with a little pressure, if it scratches the CD it'll scratch your paint. It will still be a good towel for interior, wheels, and under the hood, but not the body! And once you use the towel for a specific area us it only from there on out for that area (wheels, interior, engine).

dirtyMETHOD
04-04-2010, 11:37 AM
The armorall thing as far as I know has not been proven yet. I know it happened with the original formula in the 60s/70s or around then. I used it on my '77 celica for 8 years and my ep for 4 years and no problems, HOWEVER I decided to change to Meguiar's Gold Class everything, interior and exterior. It does cost more but it's worth the premium. Also, in the case of the interior wipes I used to use 5-6 armorall wipes every (weekly) cleaning, now I use 3-4 wipes every other (weekly) cleaning and the just wipe down the interior with a microfiber the cleanings in between since there is still more than enough protectant left. So really I'm spending less money.

Yep, Meguiar's Gold and Microfiber cloth. Does wonders and lasts three times better than armor all.

Keep the Armor all for tires and to do your engine bay, that way you don't feel bad about it.

ttttrigg3r
04-04-2010, 11:42 AM
lol alright i think i'll go find some apc and meguiar's now. or mabye poorboys

ep_hatcher_510
04-04-2010, 12:22 PM
I'd suggest ditching the ArmourAll line. Go with what was mentioned above with the Poorboys or 303 Aerospace brands. You will not find these in stores, you'll have to order them from the net from a place such as autogeek.net They are well worth the money though. I hate that greasy shiny look myself too, the 303 stuff gives a decent matte finish.

One thing I suggest too as all these are are protectants, is to use a APC (such as Meguiars APC or APC+) mixed at about 10:1 (10 parts water 1 part APC) to clean all your trim first, then apply the protectant. Especially after using something that is as greasy as AA is. This way you have a nice fresh clean surface for your new stuff to bond to.

And yes get some cheap microfiber for the interior. But whatever you do do the CD test with them first before using on paint (And wash them too!) The CD test is this, rub the towel across a CD with a little pressure, if it scratches the CD it'll scratch your paint. It will still be a good towel for interior, wheels, and under the hood, but not the body! And once you use the towel for a specific area us it only from there on out for that area (wheels, interior, engine).

actually for the 303, if there is a marine/boating store in your area they usually carry it, that is where i been getting mines at. Going to those detailing sites are nothing but bad, cause you WILL end up buying more and more stuff. lol

dirtyMETHOD
04-04-2010, 12:23 PM
I might have to grab some of this 303 stuff. there are 3 marine shops within a mile of my house.

ttttrigg3r
04-04-2010, 01:23 PM
Loooking at meguiars stuff. There so many This is the link i'm looking at.
http://www.meguiarsdirect.com/products/interior_care/interior_gold_class
What should i buy?

RickEP3
04-04-2010, 02:18 PM
I use the gold class protectant wipes. I will advise you that when you first use them on the dash it will look uneven but in a couple of days it looks fine.

LLH
04-04-2010, 02:55 PM
chemical guys green clean FTW.. interior, door jabms, underneat the gas lid or in the enginebay, it dosent care, it removes the dirt, period..

http://www.chemicalguys.com/Green_All_Purpose_Cleaner_Degreaser_p/cld_103.htm

ep_hatcher_510
04-04-2010, 05:53 PM
Loooking at meguiars stuff. There so many This is the link i'm looking at.
http://www.meguiarsdirect.com/products/interior_care/interior_gold_class
What should i buy?

I have used thier natural shine protectant before with good results, gives the plastics that new out of the factory look and is not greasy when dry. Is also sold in many autoparts stores too, and not expensive.

Twisted-X
04-04-2010, 06:21 PM
When I apply protectants or clean the inside windows I always use an old (clean) t-shirt or something that is smooth with a small weave. Paper towels almost always leave little paper pieces behind. I've learned to avoid towels or old (clean) socks because the little balls of cotton come off on your interior.

ttttrigg3r
04-04-2010, 08:18 PM
I don't know what's going on with my windows but there are visible discolored streaks and it looks like it's from the inside. I've tried to get them out but no matter how many times i wipe it with water it won't come out.

Twisted-X
04-04-2010, 09:44 PM
Do you have window tint?

RHDmeatwagon
04-05-2010, 06:25 AM
Btw if anyone is near the pittsburgh area i work at a detail supply store. Its really worth the drive we have almost everything you can imagine. Including poorboys and 303. We have a website too. www.autoality.com

and ya if you have inexpensive tint it will fade and streak with certain cleaners like that.

ttttrigg3r
04-06-2010, 05:20 PM
no only have tint in the back and rear sides i think. This is the front windshield. The streaks piss me off and I can't get them out. Pretty sure they're on the inside too. Looks rainbowish kinda.

salvatore
04-07-2010, 09:45 PM
303 aerospace is the best crap i have used for the interior love it.

Blackexcoupe
04-18-2010, 11:13 AM
When I clean the interior I use a damp MF towel to wipe off the dust and then 303 aerospace protectant with a different MF towel to protect the plastics.

no only have tint in the back and rear sides i think. This is the front windshield. The streaks piss me off and I can't get them out. Pretty sure they're on the inside too. Looks rainbowish kinda.When I clean the windows I use 2 clean microfiber towels with Stoners Invisible Glass aerosol. I spray the window and use 1 towel to clean the glass and a seperate towel to buff it dry. Make sure you don't confuse the 2 towels because one will be damp and the other will be dry.

Occasionally Clay barring the glass wouldn't be a bad idea either.

sifrk32
04-27-2010, 12:43 PM
I get streaks on my windows too, I think it's because of the rubber protectors on either side of the windows. I got it out by generously adding windex and scrubbing with a microfiber towels.

As for the interior, Meguiar's is OK. It does not leave a shine like ArmorAll does. ArmorAll does leave streaks but it should eventually dry even.
For ArmorAll I use there wipes. Generously wipe down the interior and then go over it again LIGHTLY with a microfiber towel to smooth it all out.