PDA

View Full Version : Big Block Gurus, help needed! -Bearing issues.

dear adamantium
04-04-2010, 04:35 PM
Alright wanting to get this sorted out...

I have a k24a1 block, with tsx pistons and rods.

I assembled it the first time with brian crower (acl) rod and main bearings and the crank wouldnt spin all the way because the rods were hitting the bottom of the cylinder wall when the piston was about to hit tdc.

So, i rebuilt it with the oem main bearings, and they hit a bit less, but still hit, which is no good.

So, should i order oem bearings that are one size thicker according to the chart?
Im really at a loss here, ive never heard of this happening...

thanks guys

dear adamantium
04-05-2010, 09:18 AM
There is a picture of the rod hitting the block.

this is with OEM green bearings installed on the mains, ACL rod bearings on the rods.

VIZHUNZ02SI
04-05-2010, 09:35 AM
hate to tell you but some aftermarket rods require you to machine noches to clear the block when rotating.

dear adamantium
04-05-2010, 09:41 AM
TSX rods and Pistons, only thing aftermarket are the rod bearings... thats what really concerns me is having clearance problems with OEM stuff...

talonXracer
04-05-2010, 09:50 AM
The K24A1 block may need to be machined to clear anything but the skimpy a1 rods, my forged ultralights fit wioth no issues.

I NEVER use anything but OEM bearings

Simply swapping bearings out as the shell was too thick means they were incorrect to begin with, you CAN NOT simply install a set of generic sized bearings like ACL and expect an engine to last.

bchaney
04-06-2010, 07:56 PM
Wow I've never heard of this happening either. I'm about to put TSX rods in my a1 block too...

The OEM bearings that you checked it with - are those the ones you had from the a1 block?

dear adamantium
04-11-2010, 11:36 AM
Yes they are.

talonXracer
04-11-2010, 11:50 AM
Bearings will not correct that. The block sure looks like it will need to be machined to clear. I know this particular combo has been done before with success, there are several threads over on K20A.org with this particular combo try a search over their and then post up there.

What year TSX pistons and rods? There may be an issue there.

dear adamantium
04-12-2010, 09:57 AM
Yeah i have a rather extensive thread with pics on K20a. im not sure what year they are, i bought the whole motor off of Redline (the guy who had his ep stolen awhile back) I dont think its the bearings, everything fits snug ect, everything is assembled according to helms and facing the correct way, ect.

Talon, im leaning towards machine the block as well... do you know of any good threads/articles i can read up on, or should i just take the block to the machine shop and tell them i need it machined to clear larger rods?

talonXracer
04-12-2010, 11:15 AM
I would have a shop do it, sure it could be done by hand with a die grinder if it isnt much material, but one slip-up and alot of damage can be done.