PDA

View Full Version : Kill Switch?

himsweet66six
04-04-2010, 10:39 PM
hey guys before the site took a shit there was a good post with a diy kill switch. does anyone have a link to it or a link to someplace that has a good write up on how to do it?

02nhbpep3
04-05-2010, 03:13 PM
Are you talking about a battery cutoff switch?

himsweet66six
04-05-2010, 10:22 PM
no it was a fuel cut off switch. like a hidden switch that needs to be on in order to have the car start. there was a good thread on here and now i cant find it!

03silverEP
04-05-2010, 10:33 PM
Well there are many options

1) Install a switch on the sensor for the clutch pedal. Use the second sensor, 'clutch fully depressed'. If this sensor doesn't 'close' the circuit, the ECU will not start the car. This switch is located under the dash. Both lower drivers side dash panels have to come off (snaps). Then remove the yellow connector from the clutch pedal. Cut one wire and splice a switch into the gap.

2) Install a switch on the fuel pump ground. Remove rear seat bottom, fuel pump cover, and locate the ground.

3) There are battery cutoffs, but that's high->amperage. So it'll be under the hood and you'll have to take a key/plug with you.

MadLorEP3
04-06-2010, 12:50 AM
Well there are many options

1) Install a switch on the sensor for the clutch pedal. Use the second sensor, 'clutch fully depressed'. If this sensor doesn't 'close' the circuit, the ECU will not start the car. This switch is located under the dash. Both lower drivers side dash panels have to come off (snaps). Then remove the yellow connector from the clutch pedal. Cut one wire and splice a switch into the gap.

2) Install a switch on the fuel pump ground. Remove rear seat bottom, fuel pump cover, and locate the ground.

3) There are battery cutoffs, but that's high->amperage. So it'll be under the hood and you'll have to take a key/plug with you.

cool info

Ill be doing 1 n 2

ginger
04-06-2010, 04:57 AM
i wrote the diy. i didnt save it nor do i have the link for it. i can re-write it if you would like. its very easy

ginger
04-06-2010, 05:13 AM
tools.

12mm socket. extension. ratchet.
knife.
philips.
flat head.
wire cutters/strippers.
dremel or drill with cutting tool, or bit.

materials.

electrical tape.
12gauge wire.
toggle switch.

steps.

1. push on back seat about 4 inches left of dead center. there is a 12mm bolt, remove it.
2. pull up on front of seat till it pops off.
3. remove gas tank cover. i think it a phillips.
4. remove driver side kick panel.
5. remove side panel. open screw cover about an inch behind gas lever. there is a phillips screw. pull up and in on bottom of side cover.
6. drill or cut hole the same size as toggle switch into side panel... do this centered between seat frame rail bolt locations. about 1" from floor.
7. install toggle and connect 2 wires to it, about 5 foot each.
8. run wires under back panel and under carpet, and under metal sub frame thingy...
9. start car, cut black and green (i believe) wire car should die in about 8 seconds, if it does not and your fuel gauge goes to e. its the wrong black wire. splice back together and try other black wire.
10. stripper and splice one of 2 wires from toggle to each end of freshly cut wire. tape. and test.
11. put car back together and test again.

himsweet66six
04-06-2010, 08:22 AM
the one i am thinking of used a relay.

03silverEP
04-09-2010, 01:54 AM
If you put the switch on the 'hot/positive' side you'd need a relay. Many 12v switches are for low amperage, and would blowout/melt under load. EX-> using an S2000 starter button w/o a relay.

Ground switches disable a circuit and don't carry any voltage, so no relay is required. (yes, no? EpHatchers, what do you think? I'm no electrician)

himsweet66six
04-09-2010, 08:35 AM
well you know more than i. bump for answers.

william
04-09-2010, 08:41 AM
i'm not at my home computer right now, but when i get a chance i will repost the link to a great DIY kill switch page.

himsweet66six
04-11-2010, 12:40 PM
yea please do. i remember it was on here. i beleive it was someone that posted a link to another website, but it had a great writeup

superchargedk20
04-11-2010, 02:58 PM
Theres a diy kill switch on youtube

RedSiBaron
04-11-2010, 03:40 PM
chad can chime in and tell you how to properly do it

ginger
04-13-2010, 09:29 AM
on ground side you do not need a relay. on hot wires you need a relay...

himsweet66six
04-14-2010, 01:17 AM
so if i just cut the fuel pumps ground wire in half and the wire it to switch ill be all set?

would there be a down side to doing it this way?

ginger
04-14-2010, 06:08 AM
mine has ran for 20,000 miles just like that, no problems ever