PDA

View Full Version : nooby question on suspension

03civichatch
04-06-2010, 08:05 AM
hey guys im buying the skunk2 sleeve coilover kit and was wondering if i need anything else? camber kit? anything? please let me know what ya think

Drew1d
04-06-2010, 10:37 AM
Those springs are very different rates than stock. Much too stiff in the front and will cause crazy understeer. When I had them, every bump I went over was harsh.
If you need it that stiff because you want the car super low and not bottoming out, (which they'd probably be fine for) you'll have to see whether or not the wheels on it will rub. (That will determine what else you may need.) To make it handle correctly, or like stock, I'd probably look at a different set.

Good luck.

03civichatch
04-06-2010, 01:15 PM
thanks for the info. i'm trying to do a budget drop and do not want to go with that ebay coilover kit everyone is talking about. I knew these were gonna ride stiff but i've been expecting that

dmon
04-06-2010, 03:58 PM
dont buy it. I had it, and hated it.

03civichatch
04-07-2010, 07:26 AM
ok so then what route should i go?

any buddy have a good setup at a good price??

Drew1d
04-07-2010, 01:49 PM
Depends on what you want. For me, I tried a bunch of different springs, but went back to stock. The key is to match the springs to the grippyness of the tires. I run 205/50 r17 all season cooper. Not super grippy, but good for all those Highway miles I drive. So instead of making the front stiffer, I removed the front sway. I have bad potholes in my area, and I'd say it added grip to the front.

If you just want to adjust the handling, Start with a larger rear sway, that may give you an idea on how much under/over steer you want.

If it's for looks, and you know how much you want drop it, you'll have to get dampers that won't blow at the height. At least a rear camber kit to get rid of some of the toe. (toe is a range, and camber moves that range)

My original plan for my car was to drop sometimes (like for autox or the summer) and raise for winter. But since the car would require an alignment EVERY time you change the height, it's not practical.

So if you want a modest drop(like an 1"-1.5"), and to handle well, I'd buy springs (200-350) A rear camber kit (120) Dampers (400-1000) and RSX Type S rear Say (around 60-100 with bushings) This is of course assuming you do all the work yourself.

If you want the ability to try new things out, adjust the height and whatnot, then perhaps a coil-over kit. They should have matched dampers which is nice. But it costs. And you probably could go a lot lower.

02EP3SI
04-07-2010, 06:51 PM
please dont do sleeve coilovers.. Get the racelands if anything