PDA

View Full Version : speaker wiring, finally re-did it

chunky
12-01-2002, 11:50 PM
So I finally got around to installing my eclipse headunit - 8501 or 8051 whatever it is. I'd been putting it off b/c it's a dead head, and I only have one amp right now that's powering my sub. I got tired of watching it collecting dust, and I decided to hi-jack my sub amp to power the interior speakers (i only have the front two installed - i hate the reflected sound that having rear speakers creates).

Anyhow, I bought the metra trim kit from circuit city, they had it in stock, it's the black one though. I was really disappointed with the kit, the fit is TERRIBLE, it's lose as hell, and barely stays in there. Theres a huge gap around the head unit, i could stick easily two quarters stacked together into the gap. Unfortunately, it's my only option. :P

I already had a scoshe wiring harness, so I attached it to the eclipse harness with no problems. I decided to use some round disconnect terminals so that I can separate the two harnesses easily if I ever need to do that. Then I taped the wires into a fat bundle to help cut down on any noise due to vibration as well as to keep things neat.

After the head unit was in, I ran the speaker wire to the doors. I was going to buy some fancy speaker wire online, woulda came out to be like 25-30 bucks for 12 gauge, but I dropped by the home depot and found some 12 gauge thickly insulated wire for 1/2 the price. And on top of that, there was some pre-cut wire, and since the guy was lazy, he gave me the pre-cut bundle for the cost of 50ft even though it was 95ft. I ran the wire pretty easily. It's actually VERY easy to get wire through the rubber hose between the door and the kick panel. I was concerned about the thickness of the wire, but there's plenty of room inside that hose.

So, all the rest of the install went smoothly, and then I got to listen to it all.

damn. the head unit made such a huge difference over my previous sony head unit. Maybe it's that I also have a separate amplifier powering the speakers instead of the headunit's internal amp, but it felt like I was hearing some of the tracks for the first time.

Lessons learned:

1) eclipse kicks major ass
2) if you can afford it, amp your interior speakers. your ears will thank you
3) wiring is cheap as hell at home depot
4) don't pull plastic panels in the cold, you break 2x as many tabs as when it's warm outside. :(

btw, i'll try to get some pics tomorrow.

Suk02Si
12-02-2002, 02:24 AM
I haven't dealt with the Metra kit myself, but seeing pics of other installs it seems to fit fine, nice n' snug. Maybe you got a bum kit?

chunky
12-02-2002, 07:40 AM
Originally posted by Suk02Si
I haven't dealt with the Metra kit myself, but seeing pics of other installs it seems to fit fine, nice n' snug. Maybe you got a bum kit?

maybe. I'm probably gonna end up taking pictures of it to send to them. I've used metra kits in the past and had no complaints, but this just sucks. =\

Jpax
12-02-2002, 10:35 AM
you might have gotten the civic 02 kit, there is a difference between the civic 02 kit and the civic SI 02 kit, the civic 02 kit dosnt fit, you have to mod the pannel it fits in for it to stay. there is a schocsie kit out thats silver and fits smooth....:D do a search for it.

chunky
12-02-2002, 08:20 PM
Originally posted by PaXiE
you might have gotten the civic 02 kit, there is a difference between the civic 02 kit and the civic SI 02 kit, the civic 02 kit dosnt fit, you have to mod the pannel it fits in for it to stay. there is a schocsie kit out thats silver and fits smooth....:D do a search for it.

I'm positive it's not the regular civic trim kit. I already bought that kit and wasn't too happy with the way it fit after modification. I was hoping this one would be better.

you have a part # on the scoshe?

jaydub
12-03-2002, 03:13 PM
I also bought the Metra kit, and you're right, the quality is crap. I was very very disappointed in it, and I really can't figure out why they'd even bother to make the kit in Black if all Si's have silver dashboards.

I actually did something more creative with mine, but I'm being a sneaky bastard and not telling anyone what I did. haha

Jpax
12-03-2002, 04:03 PM
http://ephatch.com/forum/attachment.php?s=&postid=56677

this dood painted his./\

i can't remember but its on this web site.

HEY WHO HAS THE PART # FOR THE SILVER SCHOCIE DASK KIT.?
and what is it?

chunky
12-03-2002, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by jaydub
I also bought the Metra kit, and you're right, the quality is crap. I was very very disappointed in it, and I really can't figure out why they'd even bother to make the kit in Black if all Si's have silver dashboards.

I actually did something more creative with mine, but I'm being a sneaky bastard and not telling anyone what I did. haha

BASTARD!!!!!#$!

you'll have a hard time topping the install in miamijdm's car. he got his installer to bondo the seams around the headunit so it looks like there's just a perfectly sized slot for the headunit, no seams! it's nifty.

i guess i can't complain too much though, the fit & finish is great, but at least the stuff that matters sounds great :D

jaydub
12-04-2002, 10:41 AM
Oh there's no question, his head unit install takes the cake, but I have to say I'm happy with mine. :)

http://www.dubfusion.com/misc/gunmetal_stereo_kit.jpg

The pic sucks, and that scratch was in the metra kit (yet another sign of the quality). I've got another one, just need to paint it.