PDA

View Full Version : front end clunk

rd02SiR
04-08-2010, 03:32 PM
ok, so i got my megan coilovers and a driver side wheel bearing done at the shop the other day. Everything went well, untill this afternoon.

My driverside now makes a clunk when i go over bumps or pot holes. i tightened the top strut nuts and my lugs. Tried the subframe bolts but those are tight.

Anyone know the possible cause?

RedSiBaron
04-08-2010, 04:44 PM
did you check your sway bar endlinks? thats a common cause for the clunk when they aren't tight

rd02SiR
04-08-2010, 08:33 PM
ya i have a feeling it could be the endlinks, i'm actually hoping it is cuz thats a pretty easy fix.

Andrew
04-09-2010, 02:11 AM
could it be not a well greased pillowball mount area?? might??

rd02SiR
04-09-2010, 05:02 AM
could be...would i have to fully disassemble everything? or is there a way i can do it while still installed on the car?

Drew1d
04-09-2010, 08:34 AM
It could be anything.
1. Count the threads on the perch, and raise the car. Does it still make the noise going over bumps? (return the car to it's height if no, otherwise realign and keep at new height)
2. Is there a place making contact with something? Shiny metal?
3. Are the dampers leaking oil?
4. try and rock the wheel, is the wheel bearing good?
5. I find, Endlinks tend to rattle not clunk. And it's more constant, not just bumps, but it's worth checking out I suppose.
6. Are the ball joint boots ripped?
7. When the front of the car is jacked up, do both wheels spin free?

ok, so i got my megan coilovers and a driver side wheel bearing done at the shop the other day. Everything went well, untill this afternoon.

My driverside now makes a clunk when i go over bumps or pot holes. i tightened the top strut nuts and my lugs. Tried the subframe bolts but those are tight.

Drew1d
04-09-2010, 08:38 AM
could be...would i have to fully disassemble everything? or is there a way i can do it while still installed on the car?
No. if the coilovers were assembled wrong, bumpstops too long, not greased bearing, etc, you'd have to remove the strut from the car and take it apart and re-assemble, reinstall and get the car re-aligned.

Blindeye_03
04-10-2010, 06:23 AM
My front end clunk had to do with either the compliance bushings, or the ball joints since I had to replace those to get the rsx suspension in my car. I guess it could have also been the top mount bearings but I doubt that.

I thought I had a steering rack noise, but after I did all that there is no more noise :).

bildo
04-11-2010, 01:14 PM

If you don't mind me asking, where are the subframe bolts? i need to tighten it because my car makes snapping noises when i turn. Much appreciated if you can point me to the right direction.

rd02SiR
04-11-2010, 02:46 PM
yeah under the fron corners of the car. beside the front tow hooks, big bolts.

So i solved the problem. A real stupid easy over looked fix. The nut at the top of the strut hat. The one that is directly under the dampning adjusting knob. was finger tight, tightend down and solved problem.

But i'm still getting spring binding. I greased the top and bottom of the springs and asmuch of those plastic "seats" on the top and bottom of the springs.