PDA

View Full Version : my check engine light= throttle positioning sensor*

2004_swaySI
04-08-2010, 09:42 PM
couldn't find any other thread to post this in.. so here goes. word is this sensor sometimes doesn't last too long i had mine come on at around 60k miles. had code read for free at honda dealer and as it turns out to be they don't sell the individual sensor *according* to them I'm required to replace the whole throttle body. immediately i smelled bullshit!!! so after some research i came across this

https://www.k20tuned.com/xcart/product.php?productid=411&cat=34&page=1

I'm sure someone else here has had issue with the tp-sensor. so my question is how did you come about your repair? and would you have use the same sensor in the link posted....

talonXracer
04-09-2010, 05:56 AM
Honda DOES NOT sell the TPS by itself, Honda only sells the entire TB. Several companies are selling replacement TPS 'sensors.

JCEM
04-09-2010, 06:54 AM
Holy moneygrab, Honda!

2004_swaySI
04-15-2010, 09:37 PM
o yea i knew the only sold the throttle body. but at the dealer they had also said nobody sells the actual sensor. i found two online. though i still haven't bought one because i wouldn't want to compromise spending money on crap.
like i said so far i have found two online. *same sensor/ totally different prices*

prices vary from 89 to 150<<< what gives?

siep3
04-16-2010, 12:11 AM
how does the car react with the bad TPS? bad idle, etc?

2004_swaySI
04-20-2010, 08:33 AM
Yessir. idles a bit weird. not too noticeable but still annoying. i have my inspection due in may, any ideas on good aftermarket brands?

talonXracer
04-20-2010, 08:46 AM
The aftermarket TPS's are assembled with lighter duty components internally.

I would opt for the Omni-Power TPS

What exactly was the CEL code? It is in the form of Pxxxx

2004_swaySI
04-21-2010, 08:44 AM
not too sure. good looking out though talon, omni-power it is!

jimmyjames
04-21-2010, 09:35 AM
You should be able to find a used TB for around $100 anyway; why not just replace the whole assembly and you're good to go? If you could wait a couple of weeks, I can even have one for sale (may be without cruise control though)

Also, the user on here named "Matt" was going to replace his temporarily with a CRV one while his was sent to maxbore. Not sure if he did but it looked like the CRV TB should work, the orientation on the components were just a little weird/backwards if I remember correctly.

talonXracer
04-21-2010, 12:15 PM
The CRV TB will require modification of the harness to work properly, just like the base RSX the output of the TPS is backwards.

civicSIracer
06-10-2010, 12:32 PM
for other members fucking around with this tps crap heres my 2 cents. my tps went out about 10k ago. i got a blox tps and installed it and adjusted it to spec. ran good for a few months and then it seemed as tho it would misfire under half throttle around 2500-4000 rpm. after saving up for it i finally got a new honda throttle body and gasket from ther dealer. problem solved. dont fuck around with mickey mouse crap sensors. by the tb from honda!!

talonXracer
06-10-2010, 01:53 PM
There will be a new TPS on the market here shortly, I was asked to test this new severe duty precision TPS. I will try it on this maxbore TB and then the new Hybrid TB when it comes out here soon.

nolimit59
08-08-2010, 05:54 AM
any updates on the sever duty TPS?