PDA

View Full Version : throttle position sensor issues

DA-GUZ
04-09-2010, 04:20 PM
I have a 2002 si and it surges under low throttle and rpms engine light goes on and off seems to run better when on . can anybody tell me how to set or calibrate my tps?

talonXracer
04-09-2010, 04:39 PM
As long as you have not touched the TPS, it doesnt need adjusting. It is more than likely a IAC that needs to be cleaned. BUT first, check to see what codes may be saved, then rest the ECU, check the oil and go for a drive, if the engine still runs crappy look at cleaning the IAC. Do a search and the procedures are stickied.

DA-GUZ
04-09-2010, 04:49 PM
As long as you have not touched the TPS, it doesnt need adjusting. It is more than likely a IAC that needs to be cleaned. BUT first, check to see what codes may be saved, then rest the ECU, check the oil and go for a drive, if the engine still runs crappy look at cleaning the IAC. Do a search and the procedures are stickied.

i gues i should have mentioned it is a blox tps and im pretty sure it has been messed with i just got the car two days ago

DA-GUZ
04-13-2010, 04:42 AM
i cleaned the iac and no change i have noticed that it doesnt happen when engine is cold but as soon as it warms up it surges under steady throttle . does not do it under accel. or at higher speed seems to be happening under 3 k rpms it is really getting annoying cause it has no codes also it idles very low like 400-500 rpms any help will be great

talonXracer
04-13-2010, 05:17 AM
I do believe the procedures for setting the TPS have been posted over on K20A.org and could have been posted here as well. Honda does not have a procedure for this in the manual as they are considered disposable, ie if they go bad the entire TB is replaced.

SyckSiR
05-30-2010, 05:09 PM
To reset you tps and throttle cable do this. Remove the throttle body completely, remove the boot, the two hoses underneath, throttle and cruise cables, the clips from the 4 sensors (evap, map, tps and iacv). Remove the two bolts and two nuts holding the tb to the manifold. Its also a lot easier if you remove the cable holder from the side as well. (plus its easier if you have a buddy to help as well). plug the socket for the tps back into the sensor and loosen the bolts holding it slightly, enough that you can move the sensor, too loose just makes adjustment harder. Keep the engine off, but turn your key on, so that the lights on the dash illuminate and such. take a volt meter or multimeter and touch the red handled prong to the middle wire on the tps connector, it should be red. touch the black prong to any grounding location (a bolt or whathave you). Adjust the tps sensor so that the volt meter reads .45Volts. Tighten the screws and make sure that it stays at .45 volts when tight. (You may need to make it .46 - .48 when its loose so that it doesn't drop below .45. Now install the throttle body.

To set the throttle cable in the right spot attach it to the spindle and pull the cable over the stop, moving the black rubber/plastic piece to the underside of the cable stop. Adjust the lower nut so that there is no space between the nut and the stop. Remove the cable and attach, with the adjusted nut under the stop and the main throttle cable clamping down on the top of the stop.

I'll be doing a pic diy in the next few days.