PDA

View Full Version : Fender Rolling DIY??

Cheep3
04-10-2010, 12:25 PM
I'm curious about fender rolling and can't find a DIY. My new Toyo RIR (225/45/16) fronts will be here Mon. and the shop warned me that they run about 1/2 inch wider per tire than Falken 615's or Kumhos XS's. They also told me that they may not be able to put them on the car due to liability issues, but will mount them if I bring just the wheels in. Anyway, I'm thinking I may need to do a partial front fender roll. My question is - what do you do with the fender liner? Obviously it needs to come off to work on the lip but does it go back on? Or get the outside edge trimmed? How do you keep it on if trimmed? Please help so I don't ruin any tires. Thanks!

Cheep3
04-10-2010, 03:34 PM
Bump - Is anyone runnin' rolled fenders?? :juggle:

username011
04-10-2010, 03:56 PM
I'm curious on how to do this too.

socmex7
04-11-2010, 12:12 AM
not too hard, you just need the right tools.. you can use a metal bat against your tire instead of a roller tool but it's a headache.. trust.. here's a good description..
http://www.bmwdiy.info/fender-rolling/index.html

sLiCk
04-11-2010, 12:30 PM
The front fenders have next to nothing to roll. Chances are you'll need to look elsewhere to make the tire clear if it's rubbing. Alignment, ride height, wheel offset etc?

Cheep3
04-11-2010, 12:45 PM
not too hard, you just need the right tools.. you can use a metal bat against your tire instead of a roller tool but it's a headache.. trust.. here's a good description..
http://www.bmwdiy.info/fender-rolling/index.html

Thanks! I'm pretty much ok on the actual rolling part, It's what to do with the fender liner that has me confused. Do people trim it or take it out all the way?

civsirmt
04-11-2010, 12:55 PM
Thanks! I'm pretty much ok on the actual rolling part, It's what to do with the fender liner that has me confused. Do people trim it or take it out all the way?

most people remove the front liners. dont trim them if u can help it they are expensive so just take them off, i wish i would have taken mine off to start with.

Cheep3
04-11-2010, 01:05 PM
most people remove the front liners. dont trim them if u can help it they are expensive so just take them off, i wish i would have taken mine off to start with.

So are you running without the liners? Any leakage / water problems?

CHASEEE
05-02-2010, 07:20 PM
Rolled my rear fenders this afternoon.

Bought a Wagner heat gun and rubber mallet from Lowes. $30 total.
Jacked the car up. Took the wheels off.
Heated up the obvious fender piece that needed bent, and whacked at it with the mallet.
Repeat as needed.
Took my time and the fenders look and feel great. No paint chipped or peeled off.

2004ep3hatch
05-02-2010, 07:37 PM
I just grinded them instead of rolling.

Cheep3
05-02-2010, 08:25 PM
Rolled my rear fenders this afternoon.

Bought a Wagner heat gun and rubber mallet from Lowes. $30 total.
Jacked the car up. Took the wheels off.
Heated up the obvious fender piece that needed bent, and whacked at it with the mallet.
Repeat as needed.
Took my time and the fenders look and feel great. No paint chipped or peeled off.
What size wheel/tire did you roll for??

I just grinded them instead of rolling.

Thanks for the tip(s). My 225-45-16's fit the front without any rolling but I'm still on 205-55-16's on the rear. Still debating if I need more tire in the rear...

CHASEEE
05-02-2010, 08:53 PM
[QUOTE=Cheep3;748644]What size wheel/tire did you roll for??

17x7 wheels.
40 offset.
215/45/17 tires.

I have about a finger gap all around. I wanted to ensure that nothing would touch.

rd02SiR
05-03-2010, 05:59 AM
get/rent the eastwood fender roller

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqiTfYyaI1A

me personally, i think i'm gonna shave the inside of the rear fender to get rid of that lip instead of rolling it. In my mind, if you roll it, shit can get stuck in the fold and eventually rust out. If you shave it off and coat it with a rubber undercoating then it'll be better in the long run. Reason why i'm leaning to the shaving is becasue i've got some body work done on my passenger rear fender, and you can feel the "bondo" or what ever they use, on the lip. So i'm affraid of cracking the body work.

Only question is, if I shave it, will the fender become too flimsy?