hyu
04-12-2010, 08:04 AM
I'm assuming you guys
wash
clay
polish
wash/wipe
wax?

What products do you use for which and why? I'm trying to assemble a entry-level little detailing kit for myself to use on my car

ep_hatcher_510
04-12-2010, 01:10 PM
Meguiar's gold class car wash
Clay magic clay bar (blue bar) or Mothers Clay
Klasse All in One
Klasse HG Sealent
Meguiar's ultimate quik detailer
Whole bunch of GOOD microfiber towels

There are many polishes out there, depending on the condition of your paint you may need one or more different types.

The ones i picked out is because some of them can be found locally, they are very easy to use and long lasting. Although they are only good for paint that is already in good condition.

raiyo
04-12-2010, 02:07 PM
Have too much time at work so I posted what I use on the car. Maybe I should start posting those detailing pictures I do on my friend's car.

-Car Soap (Got from Costco) - Needed a car soap and not dish soap

-Bug and Tar Sponge - Usually soak in hot water before I use it. Great to remove those dead body on the bumper and mirrors.

-Natural Sea Sponge - My sponge of choice. Mainly because I got quite a few for free when I use to work at a paint store. :mangel:

-Dual Bucket with Grit Guard - I use to use only 1 bucket with a grit guard on the bottom, but change to a dual bucket system. Does it work better? I don't know, but its peace of mind I guess.

-Tarminator - I apply this to any surface that I cannot clean well after a wash (bug, road debris, or DIRTY wheels). I don't put pressure when washing.

-Pinnacle Ultra Poly Clay Bar - I use this one on cars that haven't been clayed in awhile

-Meguiars Claybar (white claybar, less aggressive) kit - Use this when body is on good condition and spot clean

-Meguiars Quik Detailer - For spot cleaning of bird crap or to use with claybar

-Porter Cable 7424XP - A must if you don't have all the time in the world and really want to work the polish. Use with orange, white, gray, and red pads.

-Pinnacle XMT Swirl Remover #1 to #3 - Depending on condition of car, I use different levels

-Klasse All in One - I usually use this for my car and it removes most of the swirls made from washing the car (I usually just do this by hand, could use machine for better results)

-Klasse Sealant - You can never have enough protection, I usually place this under the wax.

-Meguiars Wax (Forgot which type) - Always go over your hard work with a layer of wax.

-Wheel Wax - Much better than body paint wax. Goes on and removes easily. It gives a really nice shine and cleaning the wheel is much easier.

-Microfiber Towels (from Costco) - I use these from drying the car, applying and removing some application (glass cleaner, interior dressing, rainx). Not the best, but its cheap and it works. Its soft and doesn't create swirls that I can see. I also have some better quality towels (don't know which brand, but its very soft and plush) I use to remove polish/sealant/wax.

-Invisible Glass - I use this instead of Windex as Windex dries out rubber and its safe on tinted windows.

-RainX - I use this on the side and rear window. I do not use this on the windshield as it makes my wiper chatter.

-Lysol Disinfectant Wipes - Have to disinfect before putting a layer of dressing for the interior.

-303 Aerospace Protectant - I use these on my leatherette seats and steering wheel as it doesn't leave any type of residue.

-Meguiars Natural Shine - I use this on my dash and door. I use this cause I bought it before I bought 303 aerospace. Meguiars natural shine does leave a very small amount of residue.

-DP High Performance Glass Restorer - Wax for windows.

hyu
04-12-2010, 05:21 PM
What do you recommend in my situation? Also Im trying to get the swirls out of my clear coat... What do I do since my paint is already weak?

My car is littered with clear chipping off.. Prior owner did not take care of paint and I guess did a crappy paint job
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v252/hosing/chip.jpg

Heres the worst one on my hood...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v252/hosing/chip2.jpg

raiyo
04-12-2010, 05:59 PM
I experienced clear coat chipping once. Sooner or later, it will the clear coat around the chipping area will start to peel more. What I did was put multiple coats of wax on that area (apply 24 hrs before reapplying another layer) to protect it.

As for the swirls, its too hard to judge by the pic. Any polish would help and work. If doing by hand, you'll have quite alot of fun with sore arms the next day. :meek:

hyu
04-12-2010, 10:38 PM
Well I just got a quote from a close friend of mine that does autobody and paint.. 600 dollars for ppg and 3 coats of clear.(think thats enough clear or should I ask for me?) Instead of detailing it anymore I'm just gonna have him do the whole car and possible the spoiler and the trunk as well (carbonfiber)

Yeah using just your arms suck. I spent about 3 hours polishing only one side of the stupid car -.-

DRP967
04-12-2010, 11:08 PM
Meguiar's gold class car wash
Clay magic clay bar (blue bar) or Mothers Clay
Klasse All in One
Klasse HG Sealent
Meguiar's ultimate quik detailer
Whole bunch of GOOD microfiber towels

There are many polishes out there, depending on the condition of your paint you may need one or more different types.

The ones i picked out is because some of them can be found locally, they are very easy to use and long lasting. Although they are only good for paint that is already in good condition.

I use the same exact stuff.

PubliusEP3
04-12-2010, 11:48 PM
I currently use Turtle Wax Ice paste, I really like it. Provides awesome shine, and lasts a long time.

Project Yellow
04-13-2010, 09:26 AM
For the headliner and seats, I use diluted woolite, it works good for me... I haven't had nice paint so I don't do anything fancy with the outside besides clean up the wheels and headlights, and I use whatever I can find usually!

RHDmeatwagon
04-13-2010, 08:18 PM
Hmmm.
Poorboys Superslick Car wash Or chemical Guys citrus clear for paint cleanser.
Meguiar's professional mild clay
Lusso Oro revitalizing creme
two bucket system with grit guard And lake country blue cross cut sponge
Mothers waffle weave towel to dry
Lusso Oro Wax
Either 540 or 600 g microfibers for removing wax etc.

As far as swirls go I use Meguiars 105 with yellow Lake country CCS pad on a PC 7424 and 205 on an orange pad. And poor boys black hole or white diamond glaze on a white pad. Look up some videos on youtube there are some pretty good ones to help you out if your just starting.

I just did my friends ek. Im not dont quite yet its pretty rough. Ill try and get some pics though