PDA

View Full Version : Problem with rear sway bar

epcivicboy08
04-12-2010, 03:19 PM
Hey guys,

So here's my problem:

About a year ago, I purchased a type r rear sway. When I went to install it, as I was tightening the screws that hold the part with the bushing in it (sorry, can't recall the exact name) the screw broke, leaving a good chunk inside the hole. I was left with no other option then to drill the remaining part of the screw to clear the hole, however in the process, I managed to mess up the threads in the hole itself.

Now, I've tried all sorts of screws to see if it holds the part, but with time, the screw just manages to slip out and cause the right side of the sway bar to sort of hang. So I've been driving my car without a sway. Which I guess wouldn't be a big deal but since I bought the part, I might as well use it.

I've also tried using these thread inserts in there with new screws, but the same thing happens. Over time the screw just manages to pull out the thread and once again I'm at square one. At this point I'm all out of ideas and I'm thinking of going to a muffler/machine shop to see what they suggest they can do so I can get my sway back on without any problems.

Anyways, I thought I'd post this up and see if anyone has any suggestions or perhaps someone has been through something similar. I will try and get a pic up so you can get an idea of what I'm talking about.

Thanks!

beechstreet
04-12-2010, 03:27 PM
buy a tap and die kit and tap it out to one size bigger. I picked up a pretty nice one at sears for $40 and the bits connect to a 3/8 ratchet wrench for easy turning of the bits.

sirsol66
04-12-2010, 04:20 PM
I know its a bit extreme but can you drill ALL the way through and just put a nut on the other side? There's probably a million better ways of doing this, but I imagine if the other side is open you could potentially drill through it and just get a long grade 8 or 10 bolt.

epcivicboy08
04-12-2010, 06:17 PM
buy a tap and die kit and tap it out to one size bigger. I picked up a pretty nice one at sears for $40 and the bits connect to a 3/8 ratchet wrench for easy turning of the bits.

We tried using the one my dad has, but either we did it wrong or we needed something stronger to be able to turn the tap once it was inside the hole.

epcivicboy08
04-12-2010, 06:18 PM
I know its a bit extreme but can you drill ALL the way through and just put a nut on the other side? There's probably a million better ways of doing this, but I imagine if the other side is open you could potentially drill through it and just get a long grade 8 or 10 bolt.

We thought of this as well, but I think we gave up because we ran into some space issues behind the subframe.

If I can't find any other solution I think I might have to come back to this one.

shanewdude
04-13-2010, 04:09 AM
Be careful not to break the tap off in the hole! Using cutting fluid, or even a bit of clean oil will help prevent the tap from breaking off. Also, check for the recommended tap/drill size. You may have drilled the hole too large for the tap you are trying to use, hence you can't cut the threads deep enough. You might need a larger diameter bolt, too.