PDA

View Full Version : Installing VTC Oil Control Valve

CDM 98 ITR
04-14-2010, 09:51 AM
Hey guys,

Has anyone installed the VTC Oil Control Valve? This is a remedy for Code P1259. The VTEC Solenoid has already been replaced, and as per the service manual, the Oil Control Valve Assy (Honda Part # 1094994) is the only other possible cause for the CEL. Engine oil is new, and topped up.

Just wanted to inquire about the installation. What is involved?

Thanks!

talonXracer
04-14-2010, 10:27 AM
One bolt and one connector. It's mount is inset into the timing chain cover and bolts to the head.

BUT at no point does P1259 involve the VTC. Did you follow EVERY troubleshooting step in the Helm's manual?

CDM 98 ITR
04-14-2010, 10:58 AM
To be honest, I'm going off memory right now. When 1259 came up, I remember reading there were two systems that controlled iVTEC (VTEC solenoid + VTC Oil Control Solenoid Valve). The VTEC solenoid was replaced recently, and remedied the issue. Now 1259 is happening again, so the only other culprit in the system is the VTC Oil Control Solenoid Valve. It would seem that failure of these two parts would both cause the i-VTEC system to malfunction and put the ECU into limp mode, hence throwing 1259 (VTEC system malfunction).

Or, am I retarded and just making this too confusing for my own good? Electrical is the bane of my existence.

Coles notes:

- Throwing code 1259
- Oil level is to spec
- VTEC solenoid is new and functioning

Possible cause/solution?

Thanks!

talonXracer
04-14-2010, 11:26 AM
AGAIN, P1259 does not involve the VTC in any shape or form.

The Helm's manual troubleshooting steps involve the VTEC solenoid and at no point does the VTC solenoid enter into it.

I would really suggest you download or better yet purchase a Helm's manual so that you dont waste alot of time and money chasing false assumptions.

Just because the spool valve(also called VTEC solenoid) has been replaced does not mean it couldnt also have gone bad. BUT the majority of times this code raises it's head, the fault ends up being debris on the filter for the spool valve or a bad connection at the connector. The troubleshooting steps take up over 4 pages.

CDM 98 ITR
04-14-2010, 11:45 AM
Understood.

I do have the electronic copy of the service manual and will consult further.

Thanks for your help.