PDA

View Full Version : Wheel Spacers... How safe?

ep3steez
04-14-2010, 07:47 PM
Everyone has their own opinion, but does anyone have proven facts about the safety of wheel spacers? Some say it causes problems, but others say it's completely safe. Would hubcentric, 10mm spacers with built on extended studs be a problem? or even 5mm spacers that are said to fit without extended studs?
Thanks in advance
Please do not answer saying "just get wide rims/tires, use the search button or anything on how dumb hellaflush is".

BeaterEP
04-14-2010, 08:19 PM
Personal opinions aside, I'm pretty sure there were folks on here before the crash that were running the 10mm w/extensions that you're talking about.
Bump for someone with knowledge. :mbiggrin:

cronicEP
04-14-2010, 08:35 PM
my buddy ran 10mm spacer with extended lugs on his mr2 for a bit, he tracked the car a couple times and they never gave him problems. I'd say if you want spacers get hubcentric and drive like a grandma. I don't see why people hate spacers for, if you want that look for a DD then spacers are the way to go. But if your gonna track your shit than i'd say get the right wheels. I guess it depends on the situation, and the car's status.

vbpracer
04-14-2010, 09:53 PM
Im running 5mm spacers, with no extended studs, works fine.

hotwired_78
04-14-2010, 11:45 PM
Technically speaking, spacers with their own separate built in studs are safer. However 10mm spacers that use extended studs are safe as well. Anything over 10mm usually is standard to have their own studs. Don't run extended studs when using 10mm+ spacers. I would assume spacers with extended studs have been designed with a great safety factor in mind, but I don't run them so I wouldn't know. But what I said was just strictly from an engineering standpoint

ep_hatcher_510
04-15-2010, 12:16 AM
If you use spacers the proper way they were designed to be used, then they are perfectly safe. Just remember to get hub-centric ones from a known brand.

socmex7
04-15-2010, 07:34 AM
If you use spacers the proper way they were designed to be used, then they are perfectly safe. Just remember to get hub-centric ones from a known brand.

this. i'm the biggest advocate for just getting wheels that fit so that you don't have to use spacers, but if you install something right and they are hubcentric and have built in studs you can run them. the only issue becomes the negative wear and tear on your wheel bearings. just most people don't install them right and that makes them unsafe for you and for everyone else around you because when you use a spacer with stock studs, you loose that much "bite" that your lugnuts can get and so they do not torque down correctly. but that said, i would NEVER use them on the track. i just don't feel safe turing into a turn at 80mph+ and having an extra piece between my hub and my wheel.

ep3steez
04-15-2010, 10:08 AM

I was looking to get eibach pro wheel spacers. 15 mm with built on extended studs. That's if don't get 5mm ones.
http://dragonstailmotorsports.com/product_info.php?products_id=18579

the only issue becomes the negative wear and tear on your wheel bearings. just most people don't install them right and that makes them unsafe
So no matter what, any spacer will cause an increase in the wear on your bearings? And how can you install them wrong?

Is 5mm enough of a change to notice a wider stance? I feel as though 10 or 15 would be needed to give it that look.

ep_hatcher_510
04-15-2010, 11:04 AM
Wheel spacers do add some stress on the bearings, but is not something you will see right away. The stress is similar to using non OE low offset wheels. For a 5mm, 10mm or even 15mm i doubt it will do too much or if any more damage then normal wear and tear on the bearings.

People can install them wrong by using cheap non hub-centric spacers, not using ones with extended studs, and not using correct torque on the bolts and lugs, which is why i think there is so much negative views on wheel spacers. The eibach / H&R spacer/adapters shouldn't be a problem.

ep3steez
04-15-2010, 12:27 PM
Wheel spacers do add some stress on the bearings, but is not something you will see right away. The stress is similar to using non OE low offset wheels. For a 5mm, 10mm or even 15mm i doubt it will do too much or if any more damage then normal wear and tear on the bearings.

People can install them wrong by using cheap non hub-centric spacers, not using ones with extended studs, and not using correct torque on the bolts and lugs, which is why i think there is so much negative views on wheel spacers. The eibach / H&R spacer/adapters shouldn't be a problem.
Great thanks. do you think i'll need open end lug nuts?

ep_hatcher_510
04-15-2010, 12:55 PM
You should not need to. Usually those kits come with studs with the correct length. unless for some reason you want some super extended studs.

socmex7
04-15-2010, 02:32 PM
So no matter what, any spacer will cause an increase in the wear on your bearings? And how can you install them wrong?

yes.. it's just like low low offset wheels.. the hub isn't designed for that type of stress because it pushes where the weight is held out... it wears it our prematurely.. and exactly what ep_hatcher_510 said about installing them wrong..

ep3steez
04-16-2010, 10:35 AM
thanks for all the replys

Kerby
04-16-2010, 10:40 AM

price and where you bought. Tell me or get banned! :mangel:

cruzty
04-18-2010, 10:21 AM
My friend got to put some 5mm spacers on his DC5 because the offset of the Type R rims... when he put them on the lug nuts only went like 3 turns and that was it... he drove the car for about 3 weeks until one they cruising around he heard a weird noise coming from the front driver side wheel.... next thing that happened watch the pic
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-sf2p/v190/223/107/762419798/n762419798_373312_9357.jpg

He was with his 3yld daughter on the highway.... he never got problems with the rear ones but the front since it's a FF car apparently the lugs got loose. So IMO they are NOT SAFE!!!!!

P.S. The picture was taken by his daughter playing with his cellphone... he found out days later!!!! So you can see the car, the rim and the spacer.... plus all the devastation a 5mm spacer did!!!!

jri93
04-18-2010, 12:13 PM
does anyone know what the hub size is on a 05 ep??? i want to order some 10mm hub centric spacers.

ep_hatcher_510
04-18-2010, 02:26 PM
My friend got to put some 5mm spacers on his DC5 because the offset of the Type R rims... when he put them on the lug nuts only went like 3 turns and that was it... he drove the car for about 3 weeks until one they cruising around he heard a weird noise coming from the front driver side wheel.... next thing that happened watch the pic

He was with his 3yld daughter on the highway.... he never got problems with the rear ones but the front since it's a FF car apparently the lugs got loose. So IMO they are NOT SAFE!!!!!

P.S. The picture was taken by his daughter playing with his cellphone... he found out days later!!!! So you can see the car, the rim and the spacer.... plus all the devastation a 5mm spacer did!!!!

Sorry about your friends car, but obvisously when you get only 3 turns on your lugs is common sense not to use it or get longer studs.

cruzty
04-18-2010, 04:54 PM
Sorry about your friends car, but obvisously when you get only 3 turns on your lugs is common sense not to use it or get longer studs.

yeah.. but he learned that the hard way... he thought they were secure and by people saying that you don't need extended lugs on 5mm spacer made him said "oh well, I guess it's fine then" but it wasn't. Just wanted to share so this don't happen to anybody else... it was really scary but he change the rims and got the car together again.. :mbiggrin:

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/hs439.ash1/24230_339730334798_762419798_3353438_5359816_n.jpg

02TWSI
10-05-2010, 01:33 AM
I'm gonna go ahead and bump this...I am looking at some wheels but they are +40 offset (ugh) on a 15x7.5 wheel. I was thinking of running a 10mm spacer to flush it out. Where can I find a good brand to buy and what is the hub bore of the 4x100 EPs?

thanks