PDA

View Full Version : What do you think? Ipod Holder

Squidward
04-15-2010, 06:02 PM
Greetings all,
I've been planning on altering the appearance of my silver center dash. I've seen the carbon fiber overlays but something about them rubs me the wrong way. On a whim, I snagged some black perforated vinyl from work and spent half an hour putting it on the bottom half of the offending panels. What do you think? I'm going to have to tear this off anyway as I didn't properly prep the surface for vinyl.

http://i972.photobucket.com/albums/ae203/FredrickTWashington/2004%20Civic%20Si%20ep3/dashproject09.jpg

The dots are 1/16th diameter circular holes in the black vinyl which let the original silver show through, but not to the extent originally intended by Honda.

beechstreet
04-15-2010, 06:12 PM
Looks good, but you need to spend more time practicing the clarinet

ttttrigg3r
04-15-2010, 06:12 PM
Not bad. Matches the seat. Wrong subforum though

Squidward
04-15-2010, 06:19 PM
Not bad. Matches the seat. Wrong subforum though
Yeah, I figured that out about ten minutes after I posted it. How do I move it or get it moved?

ttttrigg3r
04-15-2010, 06:34 PM
Leave a comment asking an admin to do it. I think that's the only way. Is your cover thingy a adhesive? it really fit the seats. Where do I get some?

Squidward
04-15-2010, 07:05 PM
O wise and just administrators, I humbly ask in your mercy that you move this thread to it's proper location and place only moderate shame on me for being an idiot. I promise to be more careful in the future. :pray: Please.

The vinyl is basically a thin, slightly stretchy plastic with pressure sensitive adhesive on the backside. A decent sign shop that does vinyl graphics should have some or at least be able to get you some. Ask if they have black perforated vinyl. White is a lot more common than the black, so make sure they are not offering you white that has been printed over with black. The black printing will most likely fail where it needs to stretch (around the base of the shifter boot and around the 4-way flasher). If they have the black they still might be a dick and make you buy 30 feet of the stuff.

If nothing pans out and you really want the stuff, PM me.

Passenger
04-15-2010, 07:19 PM
Shouldn't you put some pants on before going out in the open and doing stuff to your car, Squidward?

ttttrigg3r
04-15-2010, 07:24 PM
lol everyone is gonna rip on your username. I already painted my trim pieces but I messed up and there are some spots. I wonder what vinyl I can uses on flat black paint? recommendation?

goldEp
04-16-2010, 06:05 AM
looks good.. not to bad..

goldEp
04-16-2010, 06:06 AM
squidward... LOVE THE AVI...HAHAHA

Squidward
04-16-2010, 11:13 PM
Finished the top section tonight!

http://i972.photobucket.com/albums/ae203/FredrickTWashington/2004%20Civic%20Si%20ep3/S6300762.jpg

I've got photos and descriptions of every step (including HVAC bulb replacement) as part of my ep3 album on photobucket;

http://s972.photobucket.com/albums/ae203/FredrickTWashington/2004%20Civic%20Si%20ep3/

EP3CHRiS
04-18-2010, 02:24 PM
Looks awesome, ive been thinking about using a similar vinyl on my center dash. thinking of using this stuff.

http://www.metrodecals.com/store/html/Products/Carbon-Fiber-Vinyl-4/3M-DI-NOC-Carbon-121/3M-DI-NOC-Carbon-Fiber--113.html

Quick question, how long did this take you, removing the center dash and all???

Squidward
04-18-2010, 03:19 PM
Looks awesome, ive been thinking about using a similar vinyl on my center dash. thinking of using this stuff.

http://www.metrodecals.com/store/html/Products/Carbon-Fiber-Vinyl-4/3M-DI-NOC-Carbon-121/3M-DI-NOC-Carbon-Fiber--113.html

Quick question, how long did this take you, removing the center dash and all???

I checked out that link for the carbon fiber vinyl you posted. That stuff looks great! The video showing them installing the vinyl on a hood is very encouraging to the prospect of application to the ep3 dash. Keep in mind the people in the video are professionals and I myself have 15+ years experience applying these types of graphics. It's not as easy as they make it look. If you get it, also get some plain vinyl too and practice with the cheap stuff first.

It took around six or seven hours total. That was taking my time and photographing every step, changing the two HVAC control lamps and taking two tries to get the vinyl straight. A heads up; the most challenging part of applying the vinyl was around the vents.

EP3CHRiS
04-18-2010, 04:04 PM
I checked out that link for the carbon fiber vinyl you posted. That stuff looks great! The video showing them installing the vinyl on a hood is very encouraging to the prospect of application to the ep3 dash. Keep in mind the people in the video are professionals and I myself have 15+ years experience applying these types of graphics. It's not as easy as they make it look. If you get it, also get some plain vinyl too and practice with the cheap stuff first.

It took around six or seven hours total. That was taking my time and photographing every step, changing the two HVAC control lamps and taking two tries to get the vinyl straight. A heads up; the most challenging part of applying the vinyl was around the vents.

I just looked at your full build on this, and i am amazed on how good it looks! my center dash has a couple of scratches on it, so using the vinyl will cover it up. Thanks for the input, great job once again.