PDA

View Full Version : Megan Coilovers ORRRR?????

iDom
04-16-2010, 05:35 PM
Ok I finally got my tax money back. I have been in need of new suspension for over a year now. I am currently looking into the Megan Coilovers BUT before I spend 800+ dollars on something, I would like to know what some other people think about them or if anyone else has personally had some experience with them.. OR, maybe a 'better' route to go with.

I originally wanted to get Koni Yellows and just some lowering springs but for the 4 shocks and springs that's close to 900.. So basically, what's the best thing to get for the money? Maybe a standard/mid/high range?

How are the Tokico shocks? For more than 50% cheaper, is the price/quality ratio worth it compared to the Koni's?

Also, I would like a setup that is 'better' than stock, but doesn't have to be "THE BEST"

MadLorEP3
04-16-2010, 06:37 PM
I would not get meagans
but somepeople like them

progress coilovers are great colovers for the price and they also have a great customer service
you can get them for less than $1000
these are great out of the box coilovers for the ep3 and the rsx
these are great for daily driving

what's your budget

if you got some more money
you can get
buddy club rsd's about $1500 I think
cost more but one of the best out of the box coilovers for the ep3 as well

iDom
04-16-2010, 06:41 PM
Yikes I don't have that many clams haha. I got like a 800ish budget. I'd like to not drop my whole bankroll for just that. I'd like to get an exhaust too, maybe. So Megan is no good?

civsirmt
04-16-2010, 07:58 PM
i like mine had them for two years. it all really depends on what u want to do with them.

MadLorEP3
04-16-2010, 08:39 PM
Yikes I don't have that many clams haha. I got like a 800ish budget. I'd like to not drop my whole bankroll for just that. I'd like to get an exhaust too, maybe. So Megan is no good?

some say its no good, some say its ok, I dont have personal experience with them but I've seen mixed reviews about them

you can get a brand new progress coilovers for $895
its pretty much fits our budget
check out the review about progress on clubrsx
alot of people vouch for megan

iDom
04-16-2010, 11:03 PM
Crap.. Well if everybody thinks the Megan is at least good, I think I'm going to go with that.. I just don't want to regret anything. I'd prefer an HFP suspension butttt.... They're all outta commission there..

I won't regret spending 800 on some Megan coilovers tho will I?

MadLorEP3
04-17-2010, 12:13 AM
Crap.. Well if everybody thinks the Megan is at least good, I think I'm going to go with that.. I just don't want to regret anything. I'd prefer an HFP suspension butttt.... They're all outta commission there..

I won't regret spending 800 on some Megan coilovers tho will I?

if you want to make sure that you will not regret anything go with progress
save up $95 and do it right the first time
I forgot to say that alot think its shit...Brand new Megans are about $850 so just save up for progress if you really dont want to have any regrets

BlownSi05
04-18-2010, 06:53 AM

If you have $800 already, why not put it away and save some more to get what you want instead of blowing the money? Suspension is not something to just get on a whim. You need to make sure you get what you want and do it right the first time. You also need a camber kit for the rear when you lower the car, and possibly for the front if the suspension you get does not have the upper camber plates already. Also, you will HAVE to get an alignment right after putting it in or you will eat up your tires very quickly. I would recommend you have the money for all of this in one shot to get it done the right way.

MadLorEP3
04-18-2010, 07:18 AM
If you have $800 already, why not put it away and save some more to get what you want instead of blowing the money? Suspension is not something to just get on a whim. You need to make sure you get what you want and do it right the first time. You also need a camber kit for the rear when you lower the car, and possibly for the front if the suspension you get does not have the upper camber plates already. Also, you will HAVE to get an alignment right after putting it in or you will eat up your tires very quickly. I would recommend you have the money for all of this in one shot to get it done the right way.

Amen to that

Si Death
04-19-2010, 11:06 AM
i was in your boat, i went with progress, will let u know how it goes :D

.colin
04-19-2010, 11:42 AM
try to pick up mugen ss in the classifieds - can be had for 550 - 750 ish. I have this set up and can't complain great for a DD and some spirited driving/autocrossing on the side. Or pick up my tein s-tech springs in the classifieds =)

iDom
04-19-2010, 11:06 PM
When I bought my car it had blown shocks all the way around and some cheap "adjustable sleeves" pieces of garbage.. Now, when I turn my wheel all the way to the left and all the way to the right, the springs pop and the car will pull in whichever direction I last sharply turned the wheel to..

I wasn't aware that I would also need to buy the camber kits.. I only intend to drop the car 1 - 1.5 inches, so with that being said.. Would I still need to purchase those?

I am looking into just buying the Progress Coilovers because I have heard nothing but good about them. I just don't exactly know what else I would need, all the random things that can be a 'hiccup'.

Fortunately I know someone who works at a dealership who has access to a lift and is certified to do alignments and all that happy jazz but the only problem is, is that it's the only car I have access to and the dealership is about an hour away from home.. So.. If I start this and it somehow can't be done that day.. I'm boned.. So with all this being said, I'm just really hesitant with the whole situation and indecisive. I appreciate all the comments and help but I just wanna make sure I can get this done correctly and make everything worthwhile.

MadLorEP3
04-19-2010, 11:58 PM
When I bought my car it had blown shocks all the way around and some cheap "adjustable sleeves" pieces of garbage.. Now, when I turn my wheel all the way to the left and all the way to the right, the springs pop and the car will pull in whichever direction I last sharply turned the wheel to..

I wasn't aware that I would also need to buy the camber kits.. I only intend to drop the car 1 - 1.5 inches, so with that being said.. Would I still need to purchase those?

I am looking into just buying the Progress Coilovers because I have heard nothing but good about them. I just don't exactly know what else I would need, all the random things that can be a 'hiccup'.

Fortunately I know someone who works at a dealership who has access to a lift and is certified to do alignments and all that happy jazz but the only problem is, is that it's the only car I have access to and the dealership is about an hour away from home.. So.. If I start this and it somehow can't be done that day.. I'm boned.. So with all this being said, I'm just really hesitant with the whole situation and indecisive. I appreciate all the comments and help but I just wanna make sure I can get this done correctly and make everything worthwhile.

Im glad your going with progress like you've read and what I've been trying to say
you wont be sorry
you only need to buy one piece
its the plastic adapter piece that both clubrsx and progress sells, honda sells it as well but I forgot the part number

Im not really sure if you would need a camber kit for a 1.5" drop
but either way, its not necessary right now but I could be wrong
but its still a good idea to get in the future,
so its a rear camber kit and front camber bolts

then an alignment and your good to go

iDom
04-20-2010, 07:43 AM
So since I only am planning on dropping it as much as I said, I don't need the rear camber kit and front camber bolts right now, but it would be a good idea to get them in the near future?

What exactly is the adapter piece that I will need?

Blah1219
04-21-2010, 01:56 PM
I have the megan coilovers, they are alright. You feel every groove in the road. But even if you drop it alittle bit, you will still have a huge camber in the rear. You just need to get the rear camber kit and it fixes that camber like nothing. Save yourself and get a camber kit while in the process or you will be paying up in price with new tires every couple of months. Been there done that.

slate13530
04-21-2010, 02:16 PM
If you only plan on going that low and then pick up the A-Spec suspension for the RSX.

All you will need to make them work is new tie-rod ends and shave off a little bit on the bottom of the rear strut to fit the EP rear LCA and you'll be good to go.

The A-Spec suspension is OEM quality and an upgrade.

If you plan on going with coilover's though then go with something of quality. A lot of people have rocked the Megan's and they are suppose to be good, but for racing I'm not so sure. The good thing about them is they are adjustable and have camber plates in the front (I think). However, if you want quality then you go with Progress, Buddy Club or a set of Tein's.

As stated above don't skimp on your suspension just because you want to lower the car a little bit. Do your homework and do it right the first time. You will save your self time and money along with unnecessary stress.

If you do get the Progress you won't go wrong and you will be happy!

hotwired_78
04-21-2010, 04:01 PM
if you had 800 to spend. that means your suspension budget is really around 600-650. If your buddy at the dealership is willing to spend 4 hours of shop and lift time to install everything and align it for you for free, then so be it. It will probably take him 4-5 hours. You will need a camber kit. If you're gonna spend 800 on megans, why not spend 890 or so on progress. Megan has a history of being the value minded product, whereas progress has been performance oriented. I would personally go with the suggested A-spec suspension, oem has its upsides and reduces alot of headaches down the road. Nothing like honda parts that are made for hondas, rather than people making their own stuff to fit a honda.

iDom
04-21-2010, 07:25 PM
I'm just going to go with progress. I just need to make sure I will have everything I need to do it right.. But, I don't know what all that is exactly.. Yet

I don't know what this adapter piece everyone is talking about is or what specifically it is.. On ClubRSX all it says is that you'll need to reuse your stock top hats.. And I guess that's misguided, they need to be the plastic ones.. So.. Idk I guess.. As stated before, I have no other car available so I can't make this a 2 day project or get the damn thing half way done just to find out I need to order something so I need to make sure I got everything, even if it means buying something I may already have.. I just gotta play it safe

iDom
04-23-2010, 05:45 PM
Anyone?