PDA

View Full Version : Lowered car - some concerns

ZoomBoy
04-16-2010, 06:13 PM
So I had my car dropped to basically a finger gap today on the front and back on raceland coilovers. The installation went ok except the shop was concerned about alignment issues and the tie rod.

Basically after everything was said and done I had a chat with the owner. We all know the suspension geometry on the EP is retarded, he mentioned the tie rod is at his "safe limit" for how many threads are available. He mentioned that there are 2 bolts on some plate, and the alignment machine suggested he install a 12mm OEM bolt instead of the stock 16mm (I think that was the size). He called Honda and they had no idea what he was talking about.

He told me that safety shouldn't be an issue, that was my #1 priority but if they have longer tie rods or some sort of aftermarket part that can fix the issue I should look into it.

Anyone else experience this I'm assuming lots have.

ZoomBoy
04-17-2010, 11:55 AM
Anyone had this issue?

dmon
04-17-2010, 11:09 PM
I got no clue what your talking about, but i threw on BC N+ coilovers, dropped 3" all around, and i used the stock tie rod& nut and did not have any problem

ep3_civic_si
04-18-2010, 12:50 AM
only thing i can think of about your tie rod issue is that it's extended all the way to compensate for the lack of camber adjustment. He added the smaller bolt to act as a crash bolt just like the camber bolts you buy from an aftermarket company. He used that smaller bolt to get more camber to fit the tie rods threads back in so you can still safely run the suspension. Oh yeah forgot to mention he was probably trying to adjust your toe to get it to run safely that's why he extended out the rods.

ZoomBoy
04-18-2010, 04:32 PM
Yes that's exactly what he did. Currently my toe is at -7' on the front for both. Not sure how low my car is, but again there is probably a 1 finger gap between the tire and fender, maybe a bit more. Running the stock 17" tire size.