PDA

View Full Version : Steering wheel losing it's luster?

stratwielder
04-16-2010, 10:40 PM
Anyone have a good solution to fix our steering wheel from fading and cracking? Any preferred leather cleaners or anything?

Thanks in advance.

civvitim
04-16-2010, 11:07 PM
Mine is torn!!!! I wanna take it off along with my shift nob and take it to a leather guy and have him re-do/re-stitch it with fresh leather.....

SI in GA
04-17-2010, 12:30 AM
I know they make this Leather Steering Wheel Cover's called Wheelskins and I have seen a replacement cover for the original wheel comes with the red string and a needle wish I know where I seen it at. Hope someone elso can chime in.

Manny Kid 15
04-17-2010, 08:24 AM
I know they make this Leather Steering Wheel Cover's called Wheelskins and I have seen a replacement cover for the original wheel comes with the red string and a needle wish I know where I seen it at. Hope someone elso can chime in.

if no one wants to buy mine i think i am just going to go get it re-done with red suede so they match the seats

stratwielder
04-17-2010, 10:37 AM
I wouldn't mind having my steering wheel re-wrapped later down the road if there is that option. However, if there are simpler avenues to take I would prefer that to having someone re-do my wheel. Haha suede would be cool, but wouldn't constant usage make it look old quickly?

Manny Kid 15
04-17-2010, 10:46 AM
I wouldn't mind having my steering wheel re-wrapped later down the road if there is that option. However, if there are simpler avenues to take I would prefer that to having someone re-do my wheel. Haha suede would be cool, but wouldn't constant usage make it look old quickly?

i was planning on putting one of those steering wheel protection covers and only take that cover off for meets LOL

and that also helps it against sun fading

stratwielder
04-17-2010, 11:09 AM
hahahaha nice. you should get a flowery one for daily driving. :D

Manny Kid 15
04-17-2010, 11:12 AM
hahahaha nice. you should get a flowery one for daily driving. :D

I would but since i live in Watts, i think i would get shot...LMAO

powdbyrice
04-17-2010, 09:43 PM
i dunno about saving it from cracking and fading, but this did a nice job. makes the leather a little slick when you're done, but it does a nice job. a little oxyclean on the red stitching and then the zaino.

zaino.
Z-9 Leather Soft Spray Cleaner contains the finest blend of emulsifiers, mink oil and synthetic lanolin to safely clean all fine leather surfaces
http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=Z-9

Z-10 Leather in a Bottle™ Treatment and Conditioner contains a perfectly balanced, solvent-free blend of special oils and other natural conditioners
http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=Z-10

stratwielder
04-18-2010, 10:18 AM
oooh those look interesting. I might have to go pick me up soon. My steering wheel isn't cracking yet, but it's started to get rough around some areas.

Chromium4500
04-18-2010, 11:56 AM
I use Lexol leather cleaner and then Lexol leather conditioner. Before I had a car with a leather steering wheel I used it to clean and condition my leather jacket, shoes, gloves, etc.

The only catch is that with a steering wheel you really have to buff the conditioner in or you will end up with a slick surface.

RHDmeatwagon
04-18-2010, 02:38 PM
i was planning on putting one of those steering wheel protection covers and only take that cover off for meets LOL

and that also helps it against sun fading

That is exactly what i do. Its an inexpensive black stretchy one but it works. My bf makes fun of me but my steering wheel is still fressh.

Or you can always go with a wheelskin wheelcover. They look pretty decent and probably less then getting it wrapped. you would just have to find red chord
http://www.wheelskins.com/

Manny Kid 15
04-22-2010, 02:40 PM
yeah i actually might be selling my steering wheel but i am still going to be getting the wheel cover to protect my new one....maybe red suede