PDA

View Full Version : End link options

sirsol66
04-18-2010, 11:09 AM
In the process of installing my rsx 19mm rear sway, all of the stupid hex's on the stock end links stripped out. This was partially expected with it being a Michigan car though, so I took a nut splitter to all of the nuts and got the entire sway bar assembly off.

Now however, I need new end links. I wanted to get some input on types/brands that everyone uses, as well as cost/place of purchase.

Most of my local auto places sell them for around $40 and some change, which is ridiculous since new OEM ones are only $38.

I was considering the corsport adjustable ones, but they were getting a lot of bad reviews on FG/FA5's, so I might stay away. Any other options in this price range? I know hotchkis has them for $100, but I don't track the car every weekend and don't need the added strength if I'm just running an oem rear sway. Thanks! :mcool:

MugenReplica
04-18-2010, 11:13 AM
Shoot a PM to OneGlory. He makes his own and several members here use them for AutoX or Road racing. They are plenty strong enough to go through any abuse you can throw at them.

sirsol66
04-18-2010, 11:15 AM
I'll PM him, but I'm not really concerned with the strength of these things. As I said, I auto cross maybe 3 or 4 times a year and don't really beat up my car most of the time, it's just my DD to and from work. Thus, cost is more important than strength. Do you know how much he is selling these for? I might just pick up some new oem's, but I absolutely HATE the hex design.

RedSiBaron
04-18-2010, 11:53 AM
most aftermarket endlinks for the ep3 are going to make noise and its noisy on the street...i havnt seen oneglory's current design, but i am assuming they are still not closed joints like on the oem ones and i've built several of my own links with different joints in attempts to find ones that dont make noise and they all did.

i bought the hotchkis ones and they were better but got louder over time.

oneglory will have to chime in and let us know how noisy they are (you might not care, but i do)

sirsol66
04-18-2010, 12:04 PM
I would care about noise, which is why I'm mainly interested in oem or oem style ones.

RedSiBaron
04-18-2010, 12:33 PM
i cannot remember off the top of my head but there is a company that makes aftermarket oem style ones...in all honesty they could just be oem with colorful boots on them, i dont know

rd02SiR
04-19-2010, 11:54 AM
I've gone through 2 sets of Corsport V2 and a set of Blox. They all made noise within a month or less of DD. I got a set of MOOG and they are 10000X better. They are non-adjustable, OEM style, but made of steel not plastic.

sirsol66
04-19-2010, 04:59 PM
Thanks for the info! Do you know a good place to buy these "moog" ones?

As a side note, I'm insanely jealous of your ep! I had 9 milano hondas before the ep3 and its my first non-milano honda :mcry:

Cheep3
04-19-2010, 06:08 PM
A side - side note question: Why or what is it that makes the aftermarket links make noise? Is it the adjustable connector between the 2 ends, or the actual end bolts moving in the holes? I just don't get it, but I've heard it over and over...

kai-wun
04-19-2010, 06:48 PM

I would like to know as well ^_^

As a side note, I'm insanely jealous of your ep! I had 9 milano hondas before the ep3 and its my first non-milano honda :mcry:

I almost bought an MR ep ^_^

sLiCk
04-19-2010, 07:18 PM
I'm running moog. Stronger than oem and comes with grease fittings. Very affordable as well.

Cheep3
04-19-2010, 07:29 PM
I'm running moog. Stronger than oem and comes with grease fittings. Very affordable as well.

Where did you get them - and do they sell the shorter RSX ones as well?? :shady:

sLiCk
04-19-2010, 07:31 PM
The local car parts store in my area sells them. You can also get them here http://www.rockauto.com/

RedSiBaron
04-19-2010, 09:22 PM
A side - side note question: Why or what is it that makes the aftermarket links make noise? Is it the adjustable connector between the 2 ends, or the actual end bolts moving in the holes? I just don't get it, but I've heard it over and over...

its the fact that the "joints" are not closed, they always have a dust boot and the socket is packed with grease, etc. but they dont have a sealed joint like the oem ones, thus they dry up or are more likely to contact metal on metal making them more noisey...PLUS on top of this people do not know how to properly adjust the links so that they are constantly pre loaded and make noise...when using adjustable endlinks its important to place the car on the ground and then adjust the length of the links so that the connecting rod between the swaybar and the suspension is at an unloaded "right" angle...to this day i have not encountered a link that will work properly front and rear...even my hotchkis were too short (i dont remember if it was front or rear, but one was too short to actually adjust properly)

I should mention that any adjustable endlink for the 02-05 ep3 or 02-06 rsx should be the same as any 02-07 wrx adjustable endlink...

reference hotchkis' website for this info

rd02SiR
04-20-2010, 04:59 AM

Why thanks you kind sir. Love the MR, but it's hard to take care of

Where did you get them - and do they sell the shorter RSX ones as well?? :shady:

I got them at my local parts store. Cost about the same as OEM $40-45. They are stronger than OEM and come with a lifetime warranty.

its the fact that the "joints" are not closed, they always have a dust boot and the socket is packed with grease, etc. but they dont have a sealed joint like the oem ones, thus they dry up or are more likely to contact metal on metal making them more noisey...PLUS on top of this people do not know how to properly adjust the links so that they are constantly pre loaded and make noise...when using adjustable endlinks its important to place the car on the ground and then adjust the length of the links so that the connecting rod between the swaybar and the suspension is at an unloaded "right" angle...to this day i have not encountered a link that will work properly front and rear...even my hotchkis were too short (i dont remember if it was front or rear, but one was too short to actually adjust properly)

I should mention that any adjustable endlink for the 02-05 ep3 or 02-06 rsx should be the same as any 02-07 wrx adjustable endlink...

reference hotchkis' website for this info

Yup, thats what caused all of mine to go bad. The boot is either shitty or not present, nothing to protect the joints. As soon as one little piece of dirt/sand gets in there, it's done. It's gonna wear it out and eventually cause rattling due to the worn out joint...speaking of happy 420!! haha.

I think if you cover the joint with a baloon/condom or something, that might help keep dirt out for a while.

skoundrelusa
04-20-2010, 01:01 PM
hmm, might look into the MOOGs too now. But I hate the hex keys too...

RedSiBaron
04-20-2010, 02:08 PM
Why thanks you kind sir. Love the MR, but it's hard to take care of

I got them at my local parts store. Cost about the same as OEM $40-45. They are stronger than OEM and come with a lifetime warranty.

Yup, thats what caused all of mine to go bad. The boot is either shitty or not present, nothing to protect the joints. As soon as one little piece of dirt/sand gets in there, it's done. It's gonna wear it out and eventually cause rattling due to the worn out joint...speaking of happy 420!! haha.

I think if you cover the joint with a baloon/condom or something, that might help keep dirt out for a while.

gotta get some mad wicked jdm condoms for that yo

03ep3
04-26-2010, 04:06 PM
Switched from Corsport to MOOG over a year ago and haven't had a problem since.

Lucid Moments
04-26-2010, 07:01 PM
I never had any problem with my OEM ones. I switched to the Hotchkiss endlinks when I went with the Hotchkiss comp sway bar set because they came with the bars. But then I do track my car regularly. Doesn't really get many miles on it except at the track for that matter so....

black05ep
04-26-2010, 07:16 PM
im about to put rsx endlinks on my car because theyre shorter but ill have a set of ep ones when i swap them. not stripped either. not yet anyway. still in good condition

RedSiBaron
04-26-2010, 07:49 PM
im about to put rsx endlinks on my car because theyre shorter but ill have a set of ep ones when i swap them. not stripped either. not yet anyway. still in good condition

be careful, you need to make sure they are the correct length or you will preload the sway bar...how much are you lowered and how much shorter are the rsx links?

black05ep
04-27-2010, 01:45 PM
im lowered on progress springs. 1.8f 1.5r . the rsx sway has pushed my ep endlinks really far forward where it looks to be stretching the bushing. thats y i was going to switch to the rsx. i think its like .5 inch shorter than the ep one.

RedSiBaron
04-27-2010, 02:20 PM
hmm, see i am on progress springs with the type r rear sway and my stock links (when i had them on), didnt seem to have an issue with geometry...hmm

black05ep
04-27-2010, 04:16 PM
ill take a picture and show you. it seems weird.

RedSiBaron
04-27-2010, 04:22 PM
sounds good man thanks...picking the right endlinks has been a continuing exploration for me...

black05ep
04-27-2010, 04:30 PM
http://i574.photobucket.com/albums/ss185/black05ep/Mobile%20Uploads/0427101925.jpg
http://i574.photobucket.com/albums/ss185/black05ep/Mobile%20Uploads/0427101924a.jpg
http://i574.photobucket.com/albums/ss185/black05ep/Mobile%20Uploads/0427101924.jpg

these are the best pics i can get for now.. if u look the endlink is pushed forwaard like the sway is stressing it.

black05ep
04-27-2010, 04:33 PM
http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn20/jalf18/CIMG0185.jpg

this is the size differance from the rsx links

RedSiBaron
04-27-2010, 04:40 PM
is your sway on upside down?

black05ep
04-27-2010, 04:42 PM
i dont believe so.. someone post a pic of a sway.. im pretty sure we put it on right. it didnt look upside down. its possible

black05ep
04-27-2010, 04:43 PM
btw that pic is from the driver side

RedSiBaron
04-27-2010, 05:17 PM
i have a picture on my own sway, and it isnt very descriptive, but i am pretty sure that the sway angles down toward the link not up like yours, im fairly sure your sway is on upside down which would explain why your link is having an issue versus i was able to use my oem links on my type r sway

black05ep
04-27-2010, 07:05 PM
its weird cuz when i layed it behind the car it looked right . i just had another friend look at it to see and he said it looed right. ill try to take a pic tomorrow in the light fron directly behind for you.

RedSiBaron
04-27-2010, 07:14 PM
sounds good, well see if we can figure it out

black05ep
04-28-2010, 01:03 PM
http://i574.photobucket.com/albums/ss185/black05ep/Mobile%20Uploads/0428100935.jpg

took this this morning. is this a good pic?

RedSiBaron
04-28-2010, 01:20 PM
i need to see the ends where the end link is, but i will not one thing that i am noticing from your picture is that your mounting brackets for the sway bar have adjustment to raise and lower the mounting height...therefore if your links are angled up or down to the bar, then you can loosen and lower or raise the bar

black05ep
04-28-2010, 01:31 PM
thats funny i never thought about rasing or lowering it. ill take a couple more pics and post them tonite after school. adjusting it might do the trick. thanks

RedSiBaron
04-28-2010, 02:14 PM
yup, keep us updated :mbiggrin: