PDA

View Full Version : K24A2 Swap Comments

vbpracer
04-19-2010, 08:59 PM
First off thanks Skoundrelusa for saving the contents of the thread! This is also a good time to add a few things to the thread since I have had many questions regarding the same questions.

Here is a informative thread for anyone considering a tsx swap, and I hope it will be sticked. I went from a supercharged K20A3 to a stock 04 K24A2 engine. In doing so I had to search and read quite a few threads to find answers to my questions, hence the reason why I chose to create a summation of things I find nessecary to know.

The engine fits and no modification is necessary.

Things you will be using of the A3 are:

-Wireharness
-Throttle body
-Alternator
-Starter
-Tensioner
-Crank sensor
-Thermostat
-AC compressor ( no need to disconnect lines)

Parts you will be using of the k24 are:

-Waterpump
-Oil pump

The powersteering will be removed, since the ep has electronic powersteering.

Thats basically the list of big parts.

Other parts to use:

I used the k24 fuel rail, since the ep3 doesn't fit on the rbb manifold. However, I did use the black piece of plasting guiding the injector clips of off the k24, this way you can clip it onto the fuel rail

You will need the karcepts adapter www.karcepts.com, part number KIM01. You can then use two throttle body gaskets, I used permatex instead.

You will also need the crv bracket, replaces the existing bracket on the passengers side.

Note on the thermostat, when swapping thermostats, use the k24 metal piece, I'm sure you can use the a3 one, but I didn't feel like modifying it to make it fit.

I also had trouble fitting the throttle cable bracket, so right now its only secured by one bolt. This is because its in the way of the fuel line, since I used the k24 fuel rail. Possibly if you use the ep3 fuel rail you wont have this problem.

Since the rbb im postions the throttle body at an angle, your intake will most likely not fit. I used a injen sri 3", and have it positioned it securely using a different elbow.

I also had trouble with the throttle cables sitting to high up against the hood, causing the engine to idle at 2k rpm in my instance. I removed the insulation on the hood and it solved it.

You must remove the map sensor from the tb when using the rbb im, there is a place for it on the im itself. If you dont do this, the tb will not fit.

The stock exhaust manifold will clear the stock sway bar.

You can use your 5 speed transmission, along with the clutch and flywheel. Be sure to torque the flywheel to specs.

You will use your stock k20a3 belt, not sure of the part number. I didn't find an answer before the swap, but I had quite a few different ones laying around.

On the A3 harness, it will be obvious with sensors plug in where. The only ones you can confuse are 2 on the throttle body.

As most of you know, you cannot use the tsx ecu, or pnf ecu, you Must have kpro. In my instance, I kept my stock ecu, bought a pnd kpro'd ecu (02-04 rsx). Just in case I sell I dont have to mess with the immobilizer. Think in advance.

Other comments.

When removing the a3, I dropped it out of the bottom, with everything still attached, then swapped parts.

I had trouble taking my axles off, or intermediate shaft, so I secured them using coathangers, kind of ghetto, but it worked.

You will need a variety of hoses to cover all the vaccuum and coolent ports. Be sure to have a few extra with clamps.

Be sure to replace the oil filter if necessary before installing the engine, just makes if easier. I had to jam a long screwdriver through the filter, since it wouldn't turn.

Be sure to have a couple of jugs of coolent, a can of grease like lithium, a degreaser, and some permatex. I would also suggest to collect all metric bolts from you honda parts, in case you break or strip a bolt

Troubleshooting:

Since your draining all the radiator fluid, and air will be stuck in the lines, you must bleed the system. The way I did this is by letting the engine idle, while having the radiator cap off, preferably with while jacked up. Air will escape coolent will gush out, just make sure to add more. Also take a look at you ECT, mine was about 225F on startup, basically meaning air was still in the lines. When all air was removed it was under 200, if it makes you feel comfortable set cooling fan to come on at a lower temperature.

Another issue that I had was P0335 CRK sensor no signal, in my case, there was a bad connection between the crank sensor and the plug.

I also had trouble with the newer tsx stock basemap, which caused my VSS, AC and temperature gauge not to work. This is an easy fix. You must open kmanager and go to parameters-misc and select normal operation for multiplexer. Also make sure that "Use VTP as AC switch input" is deselected, to ensure that the compressor will work fine.

If you are coming from a cammed or I/H/E k20a3 you will definately feel the power. I even noticed a difference between the jrsc a3 and the tsx. Lots more torque and its pretty quick too. All in all well worth the money. It is a good platform to start with. Having had the jrsc for a few years, and now the k24a2, I will never go back to the A3, never say never though. Since then I have added the jrsc again and it makes a huge difference being tuned with good bolt ons.

I hope this thread is informative to anyone contemplating the tsx swap, for any questions on the swap pm me, and I will do my best to help you. Same goes for any jrsc related questions.

As for aftermarket exhaust and raceheaders, there are several different options. I have had the Jackson Racing raceheader and the Buddy Club raceheader, both fit. Since the k24 sits up higher there will be less clearance, and the header may rattle even when removing the cats heatshield. I suggest adding some esmm or some new motor mounts.

The stock swaybar will not fit, you have to use the em2 (03) I think its 15.9mm. The newer ones are a little thicker.

-Brad

vbpracer
04-19-2010, 09:16 PM
Answered question here Madlorglk

Permatex is a high temperature sealent, its the white stuff you see by the oil pan example. Whenever you add the karcepts adapter just add a little permatex to make a good seal, honestly no sense on wasting money on the gaskets, I actually ran without for years. You also dont need an k24 exhaust manifold gasket, just use the stock ep one.

Also it shouldn't be difficult removing the belt, use the tensioner pulley.

MadLorEP3
04-19-2010, 10:06 PM
Answered question here Madlorglk

Permatex is a high temperature sealent, its the white stuff you see by the oil pan example. Whenever you add the karcepts adapter just add a little permatex to make a good seal, honestly no sense on wasting money on the gaskets, I actually ran without for years. You also dont need an k24 exhaust manifold gasket, just use the stock ep one.

Also it shouldn't be difficult removing the belt, use the tensioner pulley.

thanks bro
I actually used the info you posted above, along with davis's and other hatchers info on making a list myself

There are some parts on my list that I have questions on so I will post it up in a bit. I was gonna start my own thread but theres just too many k24a2 into ep3 threads already, so if you dont mind I'll post my list here

The reason that I was considering replacing the gaskets to the aftermarkets ones lke p2r was because I read that they help with heat transfer or insulation
Im not really sure how it works but Ive read about people who have used the hondata intake mani gasket say that not only does it add hp but you can even kiss the intake mani after running the car cuz it still wont be hot

Just the seal itself without any gaskets dont seem like a good idea to me
Im probably not understanding all this completely but is the purpose of the gasket to seal and make sure no air leaks or does it also help with insulation?

MadLorEP3
04-19-2010, 10:12 PM
It would be nice if we can have one official k24a2 for noobs thread
where a list of parts needed would be provided ALL IN ONE PLACE
but if noobs still had questions then they can go ahead and ask

Im talkin about me of course...

Andrew
04-19-2010, 11:13 PM
thank god this is back! whoohoo!

ep-unit
04-20-2010, 01:34 AM
k24a2 FTW.....!!!

MadLorEP3
04-20-2010, 01:42 AM
So for the k24a1 you have to use the a3 water pump
but for the k24a2 you have to use the k24a2 water pump

si o no???

Also what did you mean when you said k24 metal piece
with regards to the thermostat housing???

MadLorEP3
04-20-2010, 01:59 AM
Can anyone that has done this swap kindly scan thru the my list just to clarify some of the questions that I have? Thanks

K24A2EP3 PARTS LIST (w/the cheapest price I’ve found so far)

1) KPRO: ($860)
PNF (EP3)
OR
PRB (02-04 rsx-s: Has reverse lock out for 6 speed)

2) Motormounts:
AVID motormounts: 75a passenger, 62a driver, 62a rear ($319)
OR
INNOVATIVE Billet motormounts: 75a passenger, 62a driver, 62a rear ($306)

INNOVATIVE Billet front mount 62a ($115) [Is this needed of should I keep it the front
stock????]

3) K24 Passenger Side Bracket:
OEM CRV Passenger Side Bracket (11910-PPA-000) $27.18
OR
P2R CRV Passenger Side Bracket ($59) [Is this worth the extra cheese???]

4) KARCEPTS RBC adapter KIM01 ($60)

5) GASKETS: (I’m using ep3 TB with karcepts adapter, rbb intake mani & type-s dcrh)
TB Gaskets (2)
OEM EP3 (2) (16176-PRB-A01 $2.90)
OR
P2R EP3 (2) ($15-$29) [Is this worth the extra cheese???]

Exhaust Manifold Gasket OEM EP3 (1) (18115-PRB-A01 $9.86)

6) SERPENTINE BELT
685K7 (7 rib, 68.5”) [Not sure where to get this???]
OR
OEM A3 Belt [Can’t find a picture or part number for this???]

7) EM2 15.9 mm (02-04 civic ex) Front Sway Bar (Front Spring Stabilizer)
2003 Em2 51300-S5D-A01 $44.37

8) RSX-S DCRH (Got it)

9) RSX-S Midpipe [Does it matter what year???]

10) FLUIDS:
Eneos Engine oil 5 qt + Hamp Oil Filter (Got it)
Honda Antifreeze/Coolant type II Radiator Fluid ($10.92)
Honda Manual Transmission Fluid (3 qt) (Green Label $4.99)

11) High Temp Liquid Gasket:
HONDABOND HT Silicone ($11.59-Got it)
OR
Permatex ($1.19)

vbpracer
04-20-2010, 08:39 AM
Yes using 'plastic' gaskets helps with heat transfer.I had the hondata img and it really made no difference for me. I used it in between the jrsc and the head. The goal is to reduce the intake temps. And again anything will help, but will you notice any difference? No.

The belt I would just go to the local autoparts store, and say you need a belt for an ep, they will give you the right size.

I would stick witht he oem crv bracket. Not sure what benefit the other has.

Dont forget you will also need new bushing to use for the sway.

Also I wouldn't go with a prb ecu, unless you have a six speed tranny. Pnd or pnf are cheapest wat to go.

As for fluids, that is more of a personal choice to me. And the hondabond is actually good, no need to get permatex then.

Midpipe, forget the sizes, but I think that the newer type s, 05 06, actually are a hair larger in diameter.

I did use the k24a2 waterpump after pulling it appart, but mainly because I didn't feel like taking the one of the a3. The metal piece, coolent housing, I used it from the k24a2 because of fitment, but used the ep3 thermostat.

MadLorEP3
04-20-2010, 12:45 PM
Yes using 'plastic' gaskets helps with heat transfer.I had the hondata img and it really made no difference for me. I used it in between the jrsc and the head. The goal is to reduce the intake temps. And again anything will help, but will you notice any difference? No.

The belt I would just go to the local autoparts store, and say you need a belt for an ep, they will give you the right size.

I would stick witht he oem crv bracket. Not sure what benefit the other has.

Dont forget you will also need new bushing to use for the sway.

Also I wouldn't go with a prb ecu, unless you have a six speed tranny. Pnd or pnf are cheapest wat to go.

As for fluids, that is more of a personal choice to me. And the hondabond is actually good, no need to get permatex then.

Midpipe, forget the sizes, but I think that the newer type s, 05 06, actually are a hair larger in diameter.

I did use the k24a2 waterpump after pulling it appart, but mainly because I didn't feel like taking the one of the a3. The metal piece, coolent housing, I used it from the k24a2 because of fitment, but used the ep3 thermostat.

thanks for the info bro
yeah I didnt include it in the list but I also have a bunch of upgrades that Im doing to the tranny and a tsx 6 spd is one of them, along with LSD,
and still not sure about a 4.3 FD??? stg II clutch &11.5lb flywheel

ok I will add the bushing for the sway

What I dont get is y I will be using a belt for the ep when my motor is k24
to be honest I dont even know what the belt attaches to
is one of them the crank pulley?

ok no permatex, had the hondabond for my bike, its still full

I know that 05-06 type s midpipe is larger but thats just an upgrade right
I mean the 02 type s midpipe that ihave should bolt up just fine to my type s dcrh

got it ep3 thermostat with k24 coolant housing, and either k24 or ep waterpump

thanks bud

vbpracer
04-20-2010, 12:59 PM
The k24 crank pulley and ep3 are the same I believe and yes the belt goes around around the cp, plus you dont have the powersteering pump and using the ep automatic tensioner. The backside, flush side, of the belt will always touch the smooth pulleys.

Yes the 02 midpipe should bolt right up.

MadLorEP3
04-20-2010, 01:32 PM
The k24 crank pulley and ep3 are the same I believe and yes the belt goes around around the cp, plus you dont have the powersteering pump and using the ep automatic tensioner. The backside, flush side, of the belt will always touch the smooth pulleys.

Yes the 02 midpipe should bolt right up.

cool thanks

Ive been looking at the part numbers for the em2 front sway
em2 refers to 01-05 civic coupe ex right?

01-02 civic ex coupe 51300-S5D-A01
03-05 civic ex coupe 51300-S5D-A02

I know that Im looking for the 15.9mm front sway but I wonder which one of these 2 it is? the bushings have different part numbers as well so Im assuming there are 2 diff sizes

vbpracer
04-20-2010, 02:49 PM
Its the earlier one, I can verify the part number tonight for you if necessary.

MadLorEP3
04-20-2010, 03:19 PM
Its the earlier one, I can verify the part number tonight for you if necessary.

ok so 01-02
this might be it since I know that

well club rsx lists the part 51300-S5D-A01
and describes it as being 25mm

that would be great if you can verify part number later

EP_EJAY
04-24-2010, 05:53 PM
very informative stuff right here!

btf144
09-07-2010, 08:42 PM
i just got an em2 sway bar off a 4 door civic, and it did NOT fit. i have a DCRH with a k24, if i want to install that sway bar, it will hit a few hoses up there, or cables im not sure what they are, maybe a/c lines.

btf144
09-08-2010, 11:14 PM
bump, i need to know which sway bar to buy from the dealer guys

RHCP0801
09-09-2010, 05:31 PM
em2's are not 4 doors, em2's are coupes and you need 01-03 sway bar....not 04-05

vbpracer
09-09-2010, 08:37 PM
You have to use the em2 (01-03) I think its 15.9mm. The newer ones are a little thicker.

btf144
09-11-2010, 09:21 PM
i thought it was the other way around. there is much confusion around regarding these sway bars. Some people say that the newer ones are 15.9mm, while the older ones were 24.5mm. anyways, sorry for the newbieness, but from where to where is this length measured? one of the em2 sway bars will not fit, it sits too high up the chassis and is in slight contact with a few stuff. would that one be the 24 or 15mm?

vbpracer
09-12-2010, 10:24 AM
Let me put it to you like this, I am using the 15mm Diameter one, its thinner, with a bcrh and k24a2, and it fits no problem. You do NOT want the thicker one.

btf144
09-12-2010, 04:50 PM
thanks a million. i was hoping it was the 24mm one that didn't fit. i think my car understeers as is.

vbpracer
09-12-2010, 09:05 PM
Yeah, to tell you the truth, I didn't run a sway for several months, then got around installing it, never even noticed it. I dont track my car however.

mp_02si
09-14-2010, 06:45 AM
I just ran into this same problem on my ep while running an obx rsx-s spec raceheader but no swap. The part number you need is 51300-S5D-A02. It is the 15.9mm bar I can attest to that. While I was at it I picked up energy suspension bushings to go with it. Anything you want to know about swaybars is in this link in the suspension section http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43253

ep3berg
09-16-2010, 07:15 PM
quick question what clutch and flywheel did all ya'll you use with your k24a2 swap

K20wagon
09-16-2010, 07:21 PM
Very good right up.

RHCP0801
09-16-2010, 09:09 PM
quick question what clutch and flywheel did all ya'll you use with your k24a2 swap

using stock

vbpracer
09-16-2010, 09:50 PM

I still have the stock clutch, now at 90K, held up pretty good one would say.

Very good right up.

Thanks man, I learned a lot on this site 'back in the day' trying to give back.

using stock

I hadnt had time to reply to your pm. I think you asked me about the map sensor? The sensor will be located on the rbb manifold itself. If you don't have the motor already, you will see, its very obvious. I dont think I have a pic without having the jrsc on there, sorry.

ep3berg
09-16-2010, 10:42 PM
thanks

RHCP0801
09-17-2010, 08:37 AM
I hadnt had time to reply to your pm. I think you asked me about the map sensor? The sensor will be located on the rbb manifold itself. If you don't have the motor already, you will see, its very obvious. I dont think I have a pic without having the jrsc on there, sorry.

yea man i found it, its all ready to be dropped in starting tomorrow morning!

K20wagon
09-17-2010, 09:45 AM
Thanks man, I learned a lot on this site 'back in the day' trying to give back.

I have learned alot to since I have been on here. I have been on here since 07 but had to create a new account cause forgot my other username and password.

RHCP0801
10-01-2010, 09:54 PM
i would also like to add if you are still using the ep3 trans on the k24a2 and your check engine light is on and the code is for the vehicle speed sensor. Go into your parameters and select misc, uncheck the 2 boxes under speed sensor, go into the gear comp tab and click select ratios, in the dropdown box select ep3 civic si than upload it...should work perfect as it did for me. Got this info from k20a.org as i was just about to buy a new sensor

SUSHI_NE1
10-05-2010, 11:15 AM
This is all great info!

04SiSpeed
10-26-2010, 07:32 AM
I love this thread, k24 in the hatch's ftw, for those that do want to do this swap and not look all over the internet for all the parts. k20tuned llc has entire packages that include a header, all the harnesses, kpro, brackets, cables, and motor for 4,000 and have Si motor swaps for 3850. Last time i checked...

AKEP
10-27-2010, 10:36 AM
i would also like to add if you are still using the ep3 trans on the k24a2 and your check engine light is on and the code is for the vehicle speed sensor. Go into your parameters and select misc, uncheck the 2 boxes under speed sensor, go into the gear comp tab and click select ratios, in the dropdown box select ep3 civic si than upload it...should work perfect as it did for me. Got this info from k20a.org as i was just about to buy a new sensor

hows your swap coming along?

japarossa
10-27-2010, 12:12 PM
Just starting the K24a2 (turbo) swap myself, thanks for the great write-up but I'm sure I'll have some questions....

RHCP0801
10-27-2010, 04:16 PM
hows your swap coming along?

been done for a while, loving every minute of it

AKEP
10-27-2010, 04:42 PM
whats your setup look like? stock?

RHCP0801
10-28-2010, 08:05 PM
yea you cant really tell at all unless you notice the angle of the tb, im getting a cai made right now for it...the intake on now is just temporary since i needed something on there

http://img34.imageshack.us/img34/8813/dscf0180z.jpg (http://img34.imageshack.us/i/dscf0180z.jpg/)

imthebro
12-11-2010, 09:00 PM
quick question guys.

How did you take the axles out ?
Disconnected the lower arm balljoint, then pulled them out ?

Is there an easier way ?

RHCP0801
12-11-2010, 10:55 PM
i left the ball joints alone, took out the two bolts that hold the strut in and just pushed it to the side

EP3_619
12-13-2010, 09:34 PM
Can I use a 2006 Civic Si Tranny with a Helical LSD on a k24a2 w/ a PRB 02-04 RSX-S Kpro'ed ECU?

AKEP
12-14-2010, 02:34 AM
I dont see why not, you'd have to just use the harness you have now anyways. that trans will bolt up.

vbpracer
12-14-2010, 12:10 PM
Can I use a 2006 Civic Si Tranny with a Helical LSD on a k24a2 w/ a PRB 02-04 RSX-S Kpro'ed ECU?

You have to use different shiftercables. There should be a thread about it in trans section.

You have a C63 amg? I have been looking at those, how do you like it?

lemonhead228
12-15-2010, 11:00 PM
i dont understand why my stock ecu will work since everthing is gonna be switch with the k20a3.

RHCP0801
12-15-2010, 11:31 PM
what?

vbpracer
12-16-2010, 08:23 AM
You mean Won't work?

lemonhead228
12-16-2010, 11:12 AM
typo. yea i mean wont work

RHCP0801
12-16-2010, 11:39 AM
you cant run a different engine off an ecu made for an entirely different car. I think people have gotten the car to start but it ran like shit and your risking damage to the motor by not having it tuned right

vbpracer
12-16-2010, 12:40 PM
There are many different reasons why you cannot use the pnf ecu, cam timing, compressions, harness etc. To use the k24a2, you HAVE to have kpro.

lemonhead228
12-16-2010, 08:31 PM
Oo thx for the response

lemonhead228
12-18-2010, 02:29 AM
would reflash work?

RHCP0801
12-18-2010, 01:17 PM
no, kpro only

EP3_619
12-20-2010, 03:56 AM
Thanks for the good info. Yes I do have the C63 AMG, but that's just a weekend car. The handling on the M3 is much better than the AMG but not a lot. The torque on the 6.3L V8 is F**kin awesome. I love it. I want to trade in my CLK550 for an M3 Convertible.. :) maybe after my Ep3 project is done.
You have to use different shiftercables. There should be a thread about it in trans section.

You have a C63 amg? I have been looking at those, how do you like it?

gtimportfanatic
12-30-2010, 10:01 PM
baller//

good info in this thread.. i will be doing a k24a4 with tsx pistons soon.. cant wait

MadLorEP3
12-31-2010, 12:14 AM
I have an 07 tsx motor
N I also got the karcepts adapter that was mentioned here
My problem is that on an 07 rbb there is no idler control port
But there is one on the karcepts adapter
So now I have no idle and I have to step on gas when I'm at a stop sign so car won't shut off
Also my aem v2 intake won't fit properly
Any suggestions for these 2 issues
Not sure if I'm making sense

gtimportfanatic
12-31-2010, 05:14 AM
why didnt u just reuse ur stock PRB? or purchase an RBC. the RBC is pretty cheap.. honda online parts stores sell em for 190 or so.

MadLorEP3
12-31-2010, 07:14 AM
I didnt realize that the RBB from an 07 is different from an 04 RBB...
And I didnt know that I could still use the ep intake mani (prb)
I will be looking for an rbc asap so I can reuse my aem v2 intake....

talonXracer
12-31-2010, 07:55 AM
There is a fairly easy fix for the lack of a IAC port in the mani. A 45 degree angle cut needs to be made in the Karcepts adaptor and a corresponding cut made in the mani's flange to create the port. This can be done with a dremel or a right angle grinder or a machine shop can do it for $$$

I have done it for several guys already with RRC mani's.

RHCP0801
12-31-2010, 09:51 AM
thats weird the v2 doesnt fit, does it hit the hood? might need a 45 degree elbow or something like that....oh and the rbc will reduce your tq, i would just look for an 04-05 rbb mani instead of the rbc

rbc also requires massive amounts of cutting to the rad support

LOVIN MY EP3
12-31-2010, 11:02 AM
Or you can do this... http://www.willbelayforfood.com/rsx/rsxmainsite/RBBDIY3.htm

MadLorEP3
12-31-2010, 04:21 PM
Damn just picked up an unmodifiedrbc.
I thought that there wud be no cutting of rad support if my rbc was not modified?
How much tq we talkin?

MadLorEP3
12-31-2010, 04:23 PM
Yeah I think the v2 wud fit wid a 45 deg elbow

MadLorEP3
12-31-2010, 04:33 PM
That's a Badass DIY, tnx
Is that the same one that Talon mentioned

RHCP0801
12-31-2010, 04:53 PM
people say the tq loss is noticeable, look on k20a.org and there is a lot of info about it. Your probably gonna lose about 10ft/lbs of tq and maybe gain 1 or 2 hp. I was gonna change to an rbc until i read that so im sticking with the rbb

here is some pics of the rbc not on the k24 and you can see the cuts, the k24a2 sits higher and the intake mani design is different so your gonna have to do more

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a7/showoff3civic/car/Picture1818.jpg&imgrefurl=http://forums.clubep3.com/showthread.php%3Ft%3D564540&usg=__GZRMHdpE2Fjv_fPKX_yH1dD4EKw=&h=481&w=640&sz=288&hl=en&start=0&zoom=1&tbnid=trJx35l7EeZO8M:&tbnh=125&tbnw=156&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dk24a2%2Brbc%2Bmani%2Brad%2Bsupport%2B trimming%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN%26biw%3D1366% 26bih%3D634%26tbs%3Disch:1&um=1&itbs=1&iact=hc&vpx=298&vpy=314&dur=843&hovh=195&hovw=259&tx=99&ty=103&ei=vm8eTYHgIoa0lQea_aDNCw&oei=pW8eTbSGHoGC8gbNrL30Bg&esq=3&page=1&ndsp=21&ved=1t:429,r:8,s:0

talonXracer
12-31-2010, 05:30 PM
You will gain far more than 1-2 whp up top, try adding a zero to those figures. but there will be losses down low, on a FWD car with tons of torque you will merely produce profit for the tire companies.... LOL

The RBC in a EP3 with a K24 doesnt require the "Trimming" that the shorter K20 requires.

But no matter which engine, it is NOT the major surgery as some would try to make it out to be.....

And yes that DIY is exactly what I described,

RHCP0801
12-31-2010, 06:28 PM
there is a lot of mis information going on about this, i never saw a dyno where the rbc gave 10+ hp over the rbb

edit, just saw a dyno posted where someone gained 19hp, from the prb mani with the rbc but did lose low to mid

The rrc manifold seems to be the best out of all of them but also the most expensive

http://www.superstreetonline.com/techarticles/sstp_1002_k_series_intake_manifold_shootout/k20a_type_r_engine.html

MadLorEP3
12-31-2010, 10:15 PM
tnx for all the info guys
swap is finally in and done
Unfortunately I drove her in the freeway to go home but stayed at around 65mph without programming my kpro
She is still set at my stock k20a3 with minor bolt ons setting
She ran like shit, felt weak, and idle felt very low (not sure if Im using the correct terms to describe it)
I just downloaded hondata program and I know she will drive better then

I ended using the rbc and did some shaving of the metal part sticking out close to the karcepts adapter
I was in a rush today so decided not to mod the rbb for now
I still have it though if I decide to do it later
aem v2 fits fine with the rbc...tnx for all the info

on Kmanager the only thing I could find was a k24a2 310 injectors...is this the best setting for stock 07 tsx with I/race Headers/E

RHCP0801
12-31-2010, 11:01 PM
yea thats what i used before i was tuned

jri93
12-31-2010, 11:10 PM
are you shitting me! you drove it with the stock k20a3 calibration!!?! i cant believe it even ran... hope you didint do any major damage.. also... i dont know why people dont use the prb intake mani... it mounts up with no modifications, you can use any stock ep3 intake you want and it provides good numbers.. i made 230hp and 205tq with bolt ons.

RHCP0801
12-31-2010, 11:14 PM
dont you have to mod the stock ep3 intake mani for a coolant port or something

jri93
12-31-2010, 11:19 PM
not the manifold. you can either buy the special gasket which takes care of the problem, or you just run a tap through the coolant port on the block to thread it, then screw in a fitting. sounds much more difficult than it is.

MadLorEP3
12-31-2010, 11:19 PM
i know stupid move
she ran in the freeway about 30 miles away
not sure what type of damage was done or how i would even know if damage was done...
I was just rushing to get home wife would have had my balls on a skillet if i didnt hurry my ass home

Andrew
01-01-2011, 12:00 AM
i know stupid move
she ran in the freeway about 30 miles away
not sure what type of damage was done or how i would even know if damage was done...
I was just rushing to get home wife would have had my balls on a skillet if i didnt hurry my ass home

damnnnn i'm your biggest fan right now i thought you were gonna sell the swap and be done with the ep3 but right on dude! ive seen your ep3 change over time this year and last year. im glad you own an ep3 and put your heart and own taste into it. real classic. much respect dude

MadLorEP3
01-01-2011, 02:40 AM
Tnx bud
Don't have the heart to sell heart this point.
Will just try to finish her build

MadLorEP3
01-01-2011, 02:43 AM
She's running a lot better now that I chose the own k24 setting on kpro.
Not completely satisfied with the gains but I will wait till I get a tune to see if I will be happy wid this swap. Probably need to surcharge her in the summer.

talonXracer
01-01-2011, 06:55 AM
The problem with using the A3's calibration is Kpro being engaged well before 4K, uber lean. Limited running should be ok,

And as far as dyno's showing the significant gains of the RBC over the RBB on the top end, there has to be thousands of them, every RBC swap produces a minimum of 15whp more on the top end. Throw in a set of cams and the RBB just needs to slither home with it's tail between it's legs.

But does this mean I recommend the RBC over all others? NOPE, I would opt for the PRC/PRB mani's. The PRC will show the 1-2 whp loss on the topend in comparison to the RBC, but will show significant gains in the midrange. The K24A2 is a midrange engine, the torque monster of the Kseries.

jri93
01-01-2011, 09:31 AM
But does this mean I recommend the RBC over all others? NOPE, I would opt for the PRC/PRB mani's.

thank you, finally someone gets it. lol

beatfiend
01-01-2011, 01:53 PM
noob question could the ecu from the the tsx be used instead of k pro?

MadLorEP3
01-01-2011, 02:03 PM
No sir u can't use tsx ecu

Tnx for the info...

Distance
01-02-2011, 01:34 AM
tnx for all the info guys
swap is finally in and done
Unfortunately I drove her in the freeway to go home but stayed at around 65mph without programming my kpro
She is still set at my stock k20a3 with minor bolt ons setting
She ran like shit, felt weak, and idle felt very low (not sure if Im using the correct terms to describe it)
I just downloaded hondata program and I know she will drive better then

I ended using the rbc and did some shaving of the metal part sticking out close to the karcepts adapter
I was in a rush today so decided not to mod the rbb for now
I still have it though if I decide to do it later
aem v2 fits fine with the rbc...tnx for all the info

on Kmanager the only thing I could find was a k24a2 310 injectors...is this the best setting for stock 07 tsx with I/race Headers/E

quoted just in case.

vbpracer
01-02-2011, 07:00 AM
I have a kal tuned for I/H/E, not very good, but it will run better than with the one from kmanager. Let me know if you need it.

MadLorEP3
01-02-2011, 07:21 PM
hook it up brotha
tnx for all your help as always
been hitting you up with questions since I first wanted to do this and now its finally done
just some fine tuning now
mmonteci@ucla.edu

RHCP0801
01-02-2011, 08:24 PM
i sent an email to jeff evans who tuned my car about this while intake mani situation and this is what he said, ill take his word over anyone on the forums

From the experience I had with several customers doing honda challenge road race series with k24a2 engines without doing cams, 50 VTC gear, etc, the stock intake manifold worked the best. The longer runner RBB manifold works better for the 25 degree VTC gear from what I have seen. This is with stock cams as well.

Thanks!

Jeff Evans
Evans Tuning

madlorglk i sent you an email with my kal with all the bolt ons

Slip_Angle
01-02-2011, 09:13 PM
^^ This is the conclusion I have also reached. I bought a PRC to replace the RBB but could not find any dyno's that showed hp or torque gains. The RBC makes more hp but gives up way too much torque.

For now, the RBB is the way to go for me..

MadLorEP3
01-02-2011, 11:04 PM
tnx bud.
I got the kal...will try it out over the weekend
Ill stick with RBC until I have time to mod my rbb and also get the fujita elbow for the injen cai

tnx again

RHCP0801
01-02-2011, 11:08 PM
no problem, let me know how it runs with it, vtec is set at 4000k or 3800 i believe

gtimportfanatic
01-03-2011, 05:39 AM
unless u lose 20ft lbs i dont think it matters much.. the only thing i get from this is.. if u have a 24a2.. keep ur rbb.. for the rest of us(a1, a4) we can opt for rbc's

talonXracer
01-03-2011, 06:51 AM
unless u lose 20ft lbs i dont think it matters much.. the only thing i get from this is.. if u have a 24a2.. keep ur rbb.. for the rest of us(a1, a4) we can opt for rbc's

Sure the RBB is decent as J Evans stated, but as soon as the VTC is swapped out for a proper one, the RBB falls on it's face on the K24A2. And as for the K24A1/A4 goes the RBB and PRB manis are optimum with simple bolt-ons.

I have seen a PRB mani with a plenum extension show gains over the ENTIRE rev-band on a 08' K24a2 w 45 degree VTC

Slip_Angle
01-03-2011, 10:04 AM
Sure the RBB is decent as J Evans stated, but as soon as the VTC is swapped out for a proper one, the RBB falls on it's face on the K24A2. And as for the K24A1/A4 goes the RBB and PRB manis are optimum with simple bolt-ons.

I have seen a PRB mani with a plenum extension show gains over the ENTIRE rev-band on a 08' K24a2 w 45 degree VTC

I'm always looking for more power! If you have some direct comparisons of RBB vs PRC with the PRC coming out on top by any significant amount then post a link. I'd love to make use of the PRC I have.

lemonhead228
01-17-2011, 07:34 PM
okay so when i do the swap i should choose the PRB over the RBB, but should i use a3 fuel rail with the 310 injectors or stick to the k24's fuel rail?

ep-unit
01-17-2011, 07:42 PM
okay so when i do the swap i should choose the PRB over the RBB, but should i use a3 fuel rail with the 310 injectors or stick to the k24's fuel rail?

u can use the a3 rail

RHCP0801
01-17-2011, 08:05 PM
no you should use the rbb mani since its already on there, use the rbc if you want to change the cams etc. Just use the k24 fuel rail and its injectors

ep3jd
01-17-2011, 09:43 PM
no you should use the rbb mani since its already on there, use the rbc if you want to change the cams etc. Just use the k24 fuel rail and its injectors

You're a whore

lemonhead228
01-18-2011, 11:04 AM
okay thanks for the response. i cant wait for the swap!

RHCP0801
01-18-2011, 09:34 PM
blow me

ep3jd
01-19-2011, 06:02 AM
Hear that leamonhead??? Adam has a crush on you :mwink:

lemonhead228
01-20-2011, 11:10 PM
sorry adam, i dont roll that way lol

ep3jd
01-21-2011, 10:05 AM
sorry adam, i dont roll that way lol

HAHAHAHAHA

sometimes I love ephatch

vbpracer
01-21-2011, 12:18 PM
Can you guys just pm eachother with sexual comments and not clutter the thread?

AKEP
01-29-2011, 06:14 AM
what mani should i run if im going boost then? im just going to do the 45/50* VTC too..

RHCP0801
01-29-2011, 01:45 PM
rrc mani is the best to get

lemonhead228
02-12-2011, 11:19 AM
How fast in a 1/4 mi would you expect to run WITHOUT bolt-ons.

And how much faster it would be wit I/rh/e?

And just say I have new street tires.

thakid
02-13-2011, 09:14 PM
Is there a avid or something of that sort crv motor mount or do you have to use the crv oem bracket? Also what about a skunk2 mani? Is that one best? I have no limit on spending. So i want to make sure i got the best of the best.

udontknowjack
02-13-2011, 09:28 PM
Is there a avid or something of that sort crv motor mount or do you have to use the crv oem bracket? Also what about a skunk2 mani? Is that one best? I have no limit on spending. So i want to make sure i got the best of the best.

rrc mani is the best to get

idk

thakid
02-13-2011, 09:36 PM
Yeah but i think he means best stock manifold. I believe the skunk2 is better. Reason i was asking.

RHCP0801
02-13-2011, 09:50 PM
rrc is the best stock manifold and its better than the skunk2, like i said before

thakid
02-13-2011, 10:03 PM
rrc is the best stock manifold and its better than the skunk2, like i said before

Cool. Reason i was asking. I wasnt positive. Thanks.

lemonhead228
02-14-2011, 02:41 AM

Anybody?

thakid
02-15-2011, 05:03 AM
Is there a aftermarket motor mount you can use instead of the oem crv bracket? Which are recommended? Hasport or Avid? This is a DD and money isnt an issue.

RHCP0801
02-15-2011, 07:02 PM
the crv part is just a bracket, why would want something to use instead?

get avid mounts

thakid
02-16-2011, 12:22 AM
Yeah I was just asking if I have to use the bracket. Or do avid mounts work. But seems like you must use the crv bracket.

japarossa
02-16-2011, 01:32 AM
There is an aluminum bracket made by P2R that you can use instead of the oem CRV bracket, I just didn't think it was worth the extra cash.

thakid
02-16-2011, 02:18 AM
Nice. Im going to be getting the p2r bracket. 69.99 isnt anything. Thank you. I just didnt want to have my avid mounts and then a oem bracket.

http://powerrevracing.com/shop/product.php?id_product=44

thakid
02-16-2011, 02:31 AM
Since im going with the rrc intake manifold. Do i use the kim01 karcepts adaptor or do i use the kim06?

japarossa
02-16-2011, 03:21 AM
kim06 from what the website says

thakid
02-16-2011, 04:13 AM
Alright im going to wait for someone to chim in with a for sure answer. Just to be on the safe side.

How much of the rad support must be cut if i choose to use the rrc manifold?

udontknowjack
02-16-2011, 09:10 AM
Which engine oil r u guys putting in ur k24a2?

Heitzke
02-16-2011, 09:27 AM
Alright im going to wait for someone to chim in with a for sure answer. Just to be on the safe side.

How much of the rad support must be cut if i choose to use the rrc manifold?

Seems pretty clear to me to use the KIM06. Exterior shape and size seems to be very close to the same. Still depends on who you ask. I did a K24A2 + RBC swap and didn't cut the support at all, I just took a rubber mallet to it and bent it under/back a tiny bit. Just get the motor in and check how the clearance is.

Twisted-X
02-16-2011, 10:00 AM

Nice. I was looking at the RRC and the Euro TSX manfolds and they look almost same.

RRC
http://www.karcepts.com/shop/img/p/56-215-thickbox.jpg

Euro TSX
http://image.hondatuningmagazine.com/f/31255701+w750+st0/htup_0601_03_o+acura_tsx_k24a2_engine+euro_intake_ manifold.jpg

udontknowjack
02-16-2011, 10:39 AM
The shop (blacktrax) that's gonna do my swap said use RRC IM on k24a2 will lose too much mid range torque... They said use oem tsx IM n get it bore would be a better option for my use (road race, autox)

Any thoughts on this?

RHCP0801
02-16-2011, 10:48 AM
they are right, rrc and rbc should only be used if your gonna be boosting or building the motor with cams. If your staying stock use the rbb from the tsx that is already on there

lemonhead228
02-16-2011, 12:23 PM

Do anybody know this?

thakid
02-16-2011, 12:48 PM
What cams would be the best for all motor?

RHCP0801
02-16-2011, 02:45 PM
thats a very broad question, price range? daily driver? how much power you want? etc.....

thakid
02-16-2011, 02:47 PM
Daily driver. No price range. And as much power as I can make this all motor.

udontknowjack
02-16-2011, 05:35 PM
they are right, rrc and rbc should only be used if your gonna be boosting or building the motor with cams. If your staying stock use the rbb from the tsx that is already on there

Thanks..!

RHCP0801
02-16-2011, 08:42 PM
Daily driver. No price range. And as much power as I can make this all motor.

no price range? go for ips cams, prayoonto cams, or drag cartel. For all of those cams your gonna need springs and retainers with seats, hybrid racing tensioner and i would also add the new si upper chain guide, circuit hero lower chain guide and a k20a2 oil pump, your looking at a lot of money since all of those cams especially the ips and drag cartel cams alone go for around $2000 if not more new

udontknowjack
02-16-2011, 09:37 PM
no price range? go for ips cams, prayoonto cams, or drag cartel. For all of those cams your gonna need springs and retainers with seats, hybrid racing tensioner and i would also add the new si upper chain guide, circuit hero lower chain guide and a k20a2 oil pump, your looking at a lot of money since all of those cams especially the ips and drag cartel cams alone go for around $2000 if not more new

cant wait to see him get those $2000+ cam plus other upgrade that needed.....its gonna be hot...!!

thakid
02-17-2011, 01:09 AM
I got about 20k to drop into the ep. So I'm making this baby right. And what you guys think about the obx header? I'm getting the ssr but I want to hear input on the obx. Also this is a daily driver and I'm looking to make 300 hp at the minimal. Getting hasport mounts. Should I use the street or race mounts? Thanks

Can you shoot me a couple links to everything you named? Thanks.

j0000stin
02-17-2011, 01:28 AM
I got about 20k to drop into the ep. So I'm making this baby right. And what you guys think about the obx header? I'm getting the ssr but I want to hear input on the obx. Also this is a daily driver and I'm looking to make 300 hp at the minimal. Getting hasport mounts. Should I use the street or race mounts? Thanks

you got 20 grand to drop on the ep and you ask about the obx header?

*facepalm

give me your ep and 4 grand and you'll already be boosted and have a 300 whp car, plus you can always raise the boost for more power buahaha

MBaG
02-17-2011, 02:22 AM

Sell the ep and buy an evo or wrx/sti!

thakid
02-17-2011, 03:16 AM
I'm keeping the ep. And I'm just asking about the obx header. I said I'm buying the ssr. Facepalm your self. Read!

RHCP0801
02-17-2011, 07:02 PM
boost it

thakid
02-17-2011, 11:33 PM
I really want to keep it all motor. But I might boost it. What turbo should I buy? I like the sideturn turbo mount or whatever its called. Thanks

RHCP0801
02-18-2011, 09:38 AM
full race kit

smykhaisouk
02-18-2011, 12:59 PM
sideturn turbo!

thakid
02-18-2011, 01:33 PM
I was looking over the kit. Is there a ep3 specific one or just the rsx? I had the greddy turbo at one time and that was pretty much plug and play with ease. Is the full race the same? Or does it involve a lot of modding to make it fit?

udontknowjack
02-20-2011, 04:45 PM
how harsh are the avid motors mount?

thakid
02-21-2011, 11:44 PM
When you say harsh. You talking about unpleasantness and how much vibration? I read avid is more harsh then hasport. Hasprt are amazing mounts. Avid I haven't heard of anyone having a problem with them but they do vibratge more. Id personally go hasport.

sbRR
02-22-2011, 01:35 AM
When you say harsh. You talking about unpleasantness and how much vibration? I read avid is more harsh then hasport. Hasprt are amazing mounts. Avid I haven't heard of anyone having a problem with them but they do vibratge more. Hasport makes more then one style stiffness. Avid makes just one.

Avid has 3 different durometers(stiffness) for motor mounts.

thakid
02-22-2011, 02:25 AM
Avid has 3 different durometers(stiffness) for motor mounts.

My bad your right. 60a 70a 90a. How much horsepower can 60a mounts hold? What stiffness is stock mounts?

AKEP
02-22-2011, 07:47 AM
about to start the swap today...wish me luck!

udontknowjack
02-22-2011, 08:44 AM
about to start the swap today...wish me luck!

Luck...!! Keep us posted..!

Deadphishy
02-22-2011, 01:28 PM
My bad your right. 60a 70a 90a. How much horsepower can 60a mounts hold? What stiffness is stock mounts?

I'm sure 60a can hold as much power as you can make. it's just how much you want your motor to move vs. cabin vibration.

dink32788
02-22-2011, 03:25 PM
i looked through here and didnt see anything about what intake to use. From what i understand the ep3 specific ones wont work (i have a AEM v2) People that have done this swap... what intake did u use or will the v2 work? i know the rbb has the weird angle coming out so idk

thakid
02-22-2011, 03:28 PM
I'm sure 60a can hold as much power as you can make. it's just how much you want your motor to move vs. cabin vibration.

That doesn't make sense to me. Haha. I'm looking to be pushing 400hp. But I think the hasport street mounts should work.

dink32788
02-22-2011, 03:38 PM
i said eff it and got the hasport 88A track mounts :). idc about vibrations or anything like that

thakid
02-22-2011, 05:15 PM
Let us know how they are.

K24a2 all motor. Looking to make 300hp. Which transmission.
Rsx-s vs ep3 vs ep3 tsx 6th gear.

RHCP0801
02-22-2011, 06:16 PM
stick with the ep3 tranny

thakid
02-22-2011, 06:50 PM
Should I add the tsx 6th gear? Its a daily driver.

RHCP0801
02-22-2011, 07:06 PM
so is mine, i dont have a 6th gear

thakid
02-22-2011, 09:01 PM
Alright cool. Just asking. Why shouldn't I use the type s tranny?

AKEP
02-22-2011, 09:03 PM
PRB mani and EP3 TB on a K24A2 head will not work with AN fittings, the throttle body is too close to the head.

all that hard work for nothing.

also, theres a sensor in the front by the starter, im guessing is ECT or something, its plug is different than an RBB-2's similar sensor. the connections aren't even close.pics later.

udontknowjack
02-23-2011, 08:04 AM
PRB mani and EP3 TB on a K24A2 head will not work with AN fittings, the throttle body is too close to the head.

all that hard work for nothing.

also, theres a sensor in the front by the starter, im guessing is ECT or something, its plug is different than an RBB-2's similar sensor. the connections aren't even close.pics later.

thats suck.....big time..!!

dink32788
02-23-2011, 08:39 PM

i have the type s tranny on my a3 and obviously keeping it when i put the k24a2 in. But its a huge difference in the gearing from the 5 speed. if u have the extra i'd spring and get the 6 speed if ur staying all motor

AKEP
02-23-2011, 10:52 PM

cause you can add a tsx 6th to the 5 spd. i like the gearing

RHCP0801
02-23-2011, 11:13 PM
if you have the tranny open, mine as well slip in an lsd :meek:

udontknowjack
02-24-2011, 07:51 AM
do i need karcepts bracket if i want to go with skunk2 70mm throttle body? k24a2/rbb intake manifold

and the shop thats doing my swap didnt mention anything about injectors....so i guess they are swapping the a3's on it....pro/con ?

RHCP0801
02-24-2011, 10:39 AM
not sure about the skunk2 tb but are you getting the intake mani port matched to 70mm also? if you arent than the skunk2 tb is a waste of money and wont do anything powerwise. Use the stock tsx injectors

udontknowjack
02-24-2011, 10:51 AM
not sure about the skunk2 tb but are you getting the intake mani port matched to 70mm also? if you arent than the skunk2 tb is a waste of money and wont do anything powerwise. Use the stock tsx injectors

Yes I'm getting the im bore...

japarossa
02-24-2011, 11:35 AM
do i need karcepts bracket if i want to go with skunk2 70mm throttle body? k24a2/rbb intake manifold
and the shop thats doing my swap didnt mention anything about injectors....so i guess they are swapping the a3's on it....pro/con ?

Yes you will need the karcepts adapter to put the skunk2 or ep3 throttle body on. The Ep injectors are way to small for the k24a2, they are only 270cc and the k24a2 stock are 310cc. Let me know if you need some I have tsx injectors for sale.

udontknowjack
02-24-2011, 12:41 PM
Yes you will need the karcepts adapter to put the skunk2 or ep3 throttle body on. The Ep injectors are way to small for the k24a2, they are only 270cc and the k24a2 stock are 310cc. Let me know if you need some I have tsx injectors for sale.

ahh...great....i wonder why the shop didnt say anything about getting a bigger injectors....how much r u selling yours....shoot me a pm please.?

dink32788
02-27-2011, 07:49 PM
picked up my motor friday. shit is cleannnnnn. got it for 1500 with a 6 month warranty and only 45k from a big company. such a sick deal for a k24a2 :)

udontknowjack
02-27-2011, 07:58 PM
picked up my motor friday. shit is cleannnnnn. got it for 1500 with a 6 month warranty and only 45k from a big company. such a sick deal for a k24a2 :)

doubt thats hardly a deal...just avg price for the miles and engine...

RHCP0801
02-27-2011, 08:32 PM
yea thats average

AKEP
02-27-2011, 09:00 PM
better than 2k+

RHCP0801
02-27-2011, 09:10 PM
who spent that much?

AKEP
02-27-2011, 10:01 PM
a guy with 2 thumbs, not this guy!

so im connecting all the wires, and my fucking harness just looks fucked up. it doesnt fit anywhere on top of the trans. im gunna have to do a wire tuck. it looks horrendous

bolaep3
03-03-2011, 12:55 PM
I'm going to do this swap in a year or less. What I havent found info on is what kind of mods I'll need to make for my current I/H/E that I have on my k20a3 to fit the k24a2?

I plan on dropping in the k24a2 with a k20z3 lsd, kpro, and a new clutch. Final project will take a Rotrex S/C

udontknowjack
03-03-2011, 01:11 PM
I'm going to do this swap in a year or less. What I havent found info on is what kind of mods I'll need to make for my current I/H/E that I have on my k20a3 to fit the k24a2?

I plan on dropping in the k24a2 with a k20z3 lsd, kpro, and a new clutch. Final project will take a Rotrex S/C

I'm stopping by blacktrax later... I had injen cai, dcrh, skunk2 exhaust... The shop is just gonna swap from a3 to the k24a2... Stay tine for some pictures

bolaep3
03-03-2011, 01:28 PM
I'm stopping by blacktrax later... I had injen cai, dcrh, skunk2 exhaust... The shop is just gonna swap from a3 to the k24a2... Stay tine for some pictures

So your saying that I wont need to adapt anything even though the k24a2 head sits higher then the a3 does? I have aem cai, dcrh, and greddy evo2 exhaust on my a3 right now. Those will bolt on straight to the k24a2 without mods?

AKEP
03-03-2011, 02:35 PM
yes. its only 19mm higher, or less than 2cm or less than 1 inch. worst case scenario is your race header wont clear the sway, so u buy an em1 sway or take yours off. no bigg.

bolaep3
03-03-2011, 02:37 PM
yes. its only 19mm higher, or less than 2cm or less than 1 inch. worst case scenario is your race header wont clear the sway, so u buy an em1 sway or take yours off. no bigg.

sweet thx for the info man.

udontknowjack
03-03-2011, 05:21 PM

mine clear fsb....little close under the car where the cat used to be....will load pictures after i get home from blacktrax

udontknowjack
03-03-2011, 05:22 PM
So your saying that I wont need to adapt anything even though the k24a2 head sits higher then the a3 does? I have aem cai, dcrh, and greddy evo2 exhaust on my a3 right now. Those will bolt on straight to the k24a2 without mods?

they basically have to cut and fab something up for the CAI....but the DCRH fit without touching anything right now....wot and driving is might be a different story tho...

RHCP0801
03-03-2011, 05:44 PM
a cold air intake wont fit with the stock rbb manifold, only certain short rams do. You have to custom make a cold air if you keep the rbb which is good idea unless your boosting or doing cams down the road in which in that case you should get the rrc mani

my header also cleared the front sway bar, only thing is it hit the body but an exhaust shop fixed that quick

udontknowjack
03-03-2011, 05:55 PM
a cold air intake wont fit with the stock rbb manifold, only certain short rams do. You have to custom make a cold air if you keep the rbb which is good idea unless your boosting or doing cams down the road in which in that case you should get the rrc mani

my header also cleared the front sway bar, only thing is it hit the body but an exhaust shop fixed that quick

I'm not clear on the CAI part... Is it good to make my injen cai to fit with RBB im?

Gonna need to make a trip to the exhaust shop anyways... Need to make my EP a few db quieter for national tour next month

RHCP0801
03-03-2011, 05:58 PM
if you didnt locate your battery, you have to get a 135 degree coupler, modify that and a few other things to get a cai to fit. Im in the process of doing that right now with an rsx type s injen cai

udontknowjack
03-03-2011, 06:23 PM
if you didnt locate your battery, you have to get a 135 degree coupler, modify that and a few other things to get a cai to fit. Im in the process of doing that right now with an rsx type s injen cai

Hmm... Is it ok to load my pics on the swap here or should I make a thread? The shop cut and weld my a3 injen cai back to make it fit... Battery still at the same location...

RHCP0801
03-03-2011, 06:28 PM
yea go ahead and post pics, i didnt start it yet so maybe whatever you have will be easier to do

udontknowjack
03-03-2011, 07:09 PM
yea go ahead and post pics, i didnt start it yet so maybe whatever you have will be easier to do

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u314/udontknowjack/k24a2%20swap/Picture028.jpg
http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u314/udontknowjack/k24a2%20swap/Picture029.jpg
http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u314/udontknowjack/k24a2%20swap/Picture022.jpg
http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u314/udontknowjack/k24a2%20swap/Picture021.jpg
http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u314/udontknowjack/k24a2%20swap/Picture024.jpg

udontknowjack
03-03-2011, 07:14 PM
DCRH and skunk2 exhaust clearance

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u314/udontknowjack/k24a2%20swap/Picture019.jpg
http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u314/udontknowjack/k24a2%20swap/Picture020.jpg

RHCP0801
03-03-2011, 07:20 PM
you have the odyssey battery so you can do that setup, this is what i have to do

this is lovin my ep3's intake on his k24 with the 135 coupler

as you can see its a very tight fit

http://img833.imageshack.us/img833/7408/18845614899315432391682.jpg (http://img833.imageshack.us/i/18845614899315432391682.jpg/)

udontknowjack
03-03-2011, 07:38 PM
you have the odyssey battery so you can do that setup, this is what i have to do

this is lovin my ep3's intake on his k24 with the 135 coupler

as you can see its a very tight fit

ic...so is a good thing to make the cai to fit with the RBB intake manifold right?

RHCP0801
03-03-2011, 07:41 PM
yea, if you plan on staying NA and not doing internals its the best, otherwise rrc is the best

AKEP
03-04-2011, 03:25 AM
oh yeah, i should have also mentioned that its all the same fit if you use the PRB/C manifold. i keep forgetting you guys are also talking about with the RBB.

Just for refference i ended up tapping the coolant port for 3/8-18 NPT and sticking a 3/8-18 NPT-10AN reducer and a 10AN 90 degree barbed fitting and it didn't fit under the PRB manifold, so i got a 3/8-18 NPT 90* barbed fitting. clears all day.

The reason I chose an NPT fitting over AN fitting is because NPT seals with the threads, as they are tapered. AN fittings seal at the flares. There is no flare inside the coolant port.

udontknowjack
03-04-2011, 10:50 PM
got my ep back today....198.1 / 175.6 is all she got ....

dink32788
03-07-2011, 01:05 PM

Is that tuned or just using the kpro preset?

RHCP0801
03-07-2011, 01:14 PM

thats pretty low, what exhaust setup you have? im guessing since your from cali you cant have a raceheader with no cat and straight piping

dink32788
03-07-2011, 01:17 PM
thats pretty low, what exhaust setup you have? im guessing since your from cali you cant have a raceheader with no cat and straight piping

Lol thats why i asked. But in previous posts he showed pictures and they said skunk 2 exhaust and dcrh. so idk... that pretty low numbers tho

udontknowjack
03-07-2011, 02:29 PM
No kitten... Ep3 dcrh... I know the number are low compare to other... No sure... It is tuned too.. Oh well not really going after number.... The car torque steer like a mofo now... Just about what I want for autox....... It's a rush now compare to before...

bolaep3
03-07-2011, 07:34 PM
No kitten... Ep3 dcrh... I know the number are low compare to other... No sure... It is tuned too.. Oh well not really going after number.... The car torque steer like a mofo now... Just about what I want for autox....... It's a rush now compare to before...

Yeah I bet it feels great with all that extra torque sense our EP3 chassis are one of the heavyest :mcry:

are those numbers whp or bhp?

Do you have a kpro? you said your using the rbb intake right?? Why didnt you choose to go with a rrc with the adapter instead?

RHCP0801
03-07-2011, 08:05 PM
of course he has kpro, how can he get tuned without it?

rrc is only good for boost or a built motor, on an NA stock internal motor it will lower the hp/tq, rbb is best for his application

ep3jd
03-07-2011, 09:41 PM
of course he has kpro, how can he get tuned without it?

Ur a n00b. I don't have "kpro" and make 9,000,000WHP sooo FUCK YOU

udontknowjack
03-07-2011, 10:11 PM
Yeah I bet it feels great with all that extra torque sense our EP3 chassis are one of the heavyest :mcry:

are those numbers whp or bhp?

Do you have a kpro? you said your using the rbb intake right?? Why didnt you choose to go with a rrc with the adapter instead?

i read and been told rrc is only good if you boost..... im very happy with the power now...its all i gonna need for autox...

yes kpro and almost always whp when u talk about number....

japarossa
03-08-2011, 09:22 AM
I removed the thermostat from my k20a3 and tried to bolt it onto the k24a2 Thermostat housing and the bolts don't even come close to lining up. Do I need to remove the other part of the Thermostat housing attatched to the water pump and put it on the k24?

RHCP0801
03-08-2011, 09:30 AM
thermostat was the most confusing part for me, i dont remember what i used because i switched them back and forth so many times lol. I think you have to use the k20a3 thermostat housing and the a3 thermostat itself

ep3jd
03-08-2011, 09:31 AM
Yeah dude you guys were hung up on that shit for like 45 minutes. Lol

japarossa
03-08-2011, 09:42 AM
thermostat was the most confusing part for me, i dont remember what i used because i switched them back and forth so many times lol. I think you have to use the k20a3 thermostat housing and the a3 thermostat itself
I'm going to give it a try tonight, that's the only way I could see it working I just wasn't sure if the bolt holes on the a3 housing were going to line up with the holes on the k24 water pump.

RHCP0801
03-08-2011, 09:48 AM
yea they line up i believe

AKEP
03-08-2011, 01:22 PM
i used the entire thermostat from ep3

udontknowjack
03-08-2011, 01:31 PM
i used the entire thermostat from ep3

i brought a new one...

japarossa
03-08-2011, 01:33 PM
i used the entire thermostat from ep3 Everything including the housing bolted to the water pump? Did you swap over the steel pipe for the heater line that is attatched to the thermostat housing? Or just use the a3? Why do we have to swap over the thermostat anyways?

EDU
03-08-2011, 02:54 PM
noob question: can i reuse the A3 transmission? or wich one should i use?

japarossa
03-08-2011, 02:55 PM
noob question: can i reuse the A3 transmission? or wich one should i use?
Yes you can use the a3 transmission

AKEP
03-08-2011, 03:24 PM
just the housing with the valve. i left the hoses and lines alone

EDU
03-08-2011, 04:06 PM
thanks for the reply, i found 1 locally for $2400 with 15K miles.
what you guys think about that price?

udontknowjack
03-08-2011, 04:16 PM
thanks for the reply, i found 1 locally for $2400 with 15k miles.
What you guys think about that price?

$2400 ?? whoa...!

vbpracer
03-08-2011, 04:48 PM
Pretty pricy, its low mileage though. I bought mine, 2 years ago, with 40K for 1500.

RHCP0801
03-08-2011, 06:13 PM
that is pretty pricey but the mileage is low. The tsx thermostat points the rad hose in a different direction where it wont hook up to the radiator so you have to use the ep3 one for everything to line up

EDU
03-08-2011, 06:21 PM
ok. thank you guys

dink32788
03-09-2011, 09:17 PM
still waiting for my mounts, but the swap starts April 1st. Pretty excited tho. Can't wait to actually feel torque out of my ep3 lol.

bolaep3
03-11-2011, 07:10 PM
still waiting for my mounts, but the swap starts April 1st. Pretty excited tho. Can't wait to actually feel torque out of my ep3 lol.

Man I wish I could be where your at right now: Engine bought and just waiting for mounts. I'll be there in a year though just wait lol.

Oh and I saw your post that you bought it for 1500. Thats not a bad price at all. hmotors sells it for 1700 not including shipping so in my opinion that was a good deal.

dink32788
03-11-2011, 10:31 PM
Man I wish I could be where your at right now: Engine bought and just waiting for mounts. I'll be there in a year though just wait lol.

Oh and I saw your post that you bought it for 1500. Thats not a bad price at all. hmotors sells it for 1700 not including shipping so in my opinion that was a good deal.

Its frustrating tho cause the mounts were the first thing i fuckin ordered man. its been almost 7 weeks. they originally said 2 weeks cause they dont stock the 88A hasports anymore. i call every week and every week they say next week. i have the VC powder coated, got the kevlar plug cover and powerchamber all ready to go she she is gonna be looking pretty good too :). My garage time is the weekend of April 1st. My buddy has a garage with a lift so that'll make it alottttt easier so hopefully my mounts come in soon! lol

udontknowjack
03-11-2011, 10:57 PM
Its frustrating tho cause the mounts were the first thing i fuckin ordered man. its been almost 7 weeks. they originally said 2 weeks cause they dont stock the 88A hasports anymore. i call every week and every week they say next week. i have the VC powder coated, got the kevlar plug cover and powerchamber all ready to go she she is gonna be looking pretty good too :). My garage time is the weekend of April 1st. My buddy has a garage with a lift so that'll make it alottttt easier so hopefully my mounts come in soon! lol

you can always get avid mounts....got mine within 3 days

dink32788
03-13-2011, 02:37 PM
you can always get avid mounts....got mine within 3 days

i will if it comes down to a few days until go go go time lol

rolldogK20
03-13-2011, 05:11 PM
Ok guys i have a cut RBC on my A3. I just got a k24a4 where can i find a how to to drill and tap the water port or block off ?

bolaep3
03-14-2011, 03:22 PM
Ok guys i have a cut RBC on my A3. I just got a k24a4 where can i find a how to to drill and tap the water port or block off ?

Check this thread

http://www.k20a.org/forum/showthread.php?t=21188

AKEP
03-14-2011, 03:30 PM

9/16 drill bit
3/8 NPT tap
90* 3/8 NPT fitting with (idk what size) barbed fitting.

if you go with an adapter and a 90 fitting, you will hate yourself if you ever have to revert to prc/prb mani. it wont fit.

dink32788
03-16-2011, 06:15 PM
well i ordered innovative mounts originally from clubrsx and they said it was gonna take awhile so i cancelled. well i thought i was gonna cancel. well i look today and they took the $$ out for them even tho i already got my hasports... they said its not there fault or problem and they already shipped so if anyone is looking to buy or trade for mounts i have brand new 76A innovatives that will eventually be in the classifieds. let me know. but i got my hasports 2 days ago so everything is now in my hands. April 1st is the big dayyyyyyy

dink32788
03-20-2011, 08:52 PM
quick question guys... would it be a good idea or any kind of gains if i picked up a set of k20A cams instead of the 04 tsx cams?

EDIT:
Nevermind... found a thread on h-t that answered my question

civicsiep3
03-25-2011, 07:31 PM
is there a way to retain power steering when doing this swap? and how much loss do u notice the lack of power steering?

RHCP0801
03-25-2011, 09:21 PM
you never touch the steering during swap, new engine has no affects on the steering

j0000stin
03-25-2011, 11:58 PM
anyone know what cat/stock header combo would fit on an k24a2 swap

j0000stin
03-26-2011, 07:00 PM
anyone?

RHCP0801
03-26-2011, 09:48 PM
ep3 exhaust and cat will fit, just need to get it modified a bit so it doesnt hit against the car

j0000stin
03-27-2011, 11:53 AM
ep3 exhaust and cat will fit, just need to get it modified a bit so it doesnt hit against the car

so the stock header will clear? I ask because i got the k24a2 header with it. i just dont know if it'll clear

RHCP0801
03-27-2011, 12:09 PM
if people swapped their motors and use the k20a3 shorty headers than yes a stock manifold will work

j0000stin
03-27-2011, 12:50 PM
if people swapped their motors and use the k20a3 shorty headers than yes a stock manifold will work

dope. just a little concerned because when i did the k24a1 swap years ago i got the obx rh and the bolts didnt line up and was sondering if i would have an issue with this. guess not

ep3jd
03-28-2011, 04:55 AM
The exhaust manifolds bolts didn't line up???

j0000stin
03-28-2011, 08:12 PM
The exhaust manifolds bolts didn't line up???

Naw. It was the ver.1 I had to get it modified to fit. Its on 1gr8ep3's car now

dink32788
04-03-2011, 06:08 PM
Got it all in. started up first go. No CEL's other then 2ndary o2 sensor. Was super pumped. pulls hardddddd, love it! Just gotta bleed the coolant a little better i think. was kind of over heating a lil

japarossa
04-27-2011, 11:42 AM
For anyone who has done a k24a2 swap what did you do to make the EP harness work/fit? I have tried to get mine to fit and I can't see how it can be done without adding length to some of the wires. I can get it all hooked up but alot of the wires are pulled pretty tight and looks like shit running over the top of the water port on the drivers side of the head. Just looking for some input before I start chopping up my EP harness to make a custom one. Ephatch really needs a wiring section. Any pics of how you ran the harness would be appreciated. Thanks.

RHCP0801
04-27-2011, 12:43 PM
i didnt need to do anything, every sensor is in the same exact location so you shouldnt need to extend any part of the harness

Are you sure you have routed correctly and its not caught on anything, everything on my swap plugged in perfect with no problems

japarossa
04-27-2011, 01:09 PM
I run into problems right away, if I put it on top of the water outlet my wires to the transmission are to short or very tight. If I put it under then the wires going to the coils and vtec solenoid are to short. The connections are in the same place but the ep doesnt have the water ports on the side of the head and thats what is getting in the way. Even the wires going to the TB, fuel injectors and the plug that plugs into the other harness under the intake manifold are giving me problems. I am also using the RBB TSX manifold so that does make the connections a bit different than on the ep. Like I said I can get it on and all the wires hooked up but alot of the wires are tight to tight. If anyone has a pic of the drives side of your motor with the harness please post up a pic so I can see how you ran it.

RHCP0801
04-27-2011, 02:22 PM
i had the rbb manifold on too when i first did the swap and had 0 problems, here are some pics that i hope are helpful back when the swap was first finished

http://img708.imageshack.us/img708/4180/16301354135111654468300.jpg (http://img708.imageshack.us/i/16301354135111654468300.jpg/)

http://img600.imageshack.us/img600/5544/dscf0181e.jpg (http://img600.imageshack.us/i/dscf0181e.jpg/)

http://img851.imageshack.us/img851/7241/dscf0185h1.jpg (http://img851.imageshack.us/i/dscf0185h1.jpg/)

if you want anymore let me know

i11 b3havior
04-27-2011, 04:19 PM
I agree with rhcp it fit almost perfect thou my tech regrets not doing a wire tuck now :-\ I wish I can post pics from my phone right now !

japarossa
04-27-2011, 09:28 PM
Thanks for the pics, I ended up running it pretty much the same with a few small changes like using the MAP sensor in the TB not the manifold. Almost done just need to relocate the battery, swap the fuel pump and wire up the ID injector clips.

02TWSI
05-17-2011, 11:06 PM
I have a couple of questions, don't hate me! Just trying to put together a definitive excel spreadsheet for my own future reference.

Which gasket do I use from hondata for the IM to TB adapter?

What is the point of this?
http://hasport.com/store/index.php/accessories/intake/kinad.html

"Note on the thermostat, when swapping thermostats, use the k24 metal piece, I'm sure you can use the a3 one, but I didn't feel like modifying it to make it fit."

Are people using the A3 thermostat?

Pretty much if anyone has a list of essentials that are needed for the swap other than the obvious kpro, crv bracket, and patience?

lemonhead228
06-06-2011, 02:02 PM
When swapping the k24a1, is it the exact same as the k24a2?

mitchlikesbikes
06-06-2011, 02:06 PM
When swapping the k24a1, is it the exact same as the k24a2?

basically. the k24a1 is actually easier i think because the intake mani isn't all tweaked out like the a2 one is. either that or it's just easier to swap the k20a2 mani onto the k24a1 than it is to swap it onto the k24a2.

the intake mani and the passenger side bracket are really the only changes from the A3 unless you're doing a race header, in which case you might have problems with it hitting the sway bar

usedep3
06-21-2011, 07:49 PM
having trouble pinpointing the answer. hope you guys can help.

with a k24a2, does the RBC need to be uncut or cut/modified?

Slip_Angle
06-21-2011, 08:15 PM
having trouble pinpointing the answer. hope you guys can help.

with a k24a2, does the RBC need to be uncut or cut/modified?

The stock RBC is what you want. IE: Not modified.

usedep3
06-22-2011, 05:10 AM
The stock RBC is what you want. IE: Not modified.

darn. can anyone else confirm before i trade/sell this thing?

usedep3
06-22-2011, 09:11 AM
darn. can anyone else confirm before i trade/sell this thing?

le bump

RHCP0801
06-22-2011, 09:14 AM
yea you want a stock one

i11 b3havior
06-22-2011, 09:21 AM
uncut it bolts right up

usedep3
06-22-2011, 07:37 PM
thanks guys for the help. slowly getting to where i need to be

Mikebuen
06-27-2011, 01:07 PM
Damn I want this swap for the NA power but seems like a lot of stuff needs to be added. First the motor then tracking down a 6 speed tranny ( I thought ours had the same gearing as a type S?), then a crv motor mount, Kpro on top of the cost already, another sway bar, plus miscellanies parts. Why not sc it for that type of money with a good tune and call it a day with less than half the work required?

MBaG
06-27-2011, 06:47 PM
Damn I want this swap for the NA power but seems like a lot of stuff needs to be added. First the motor then tracking down a 6 speed tranny ( I thought ours had the same gearing as a type S?), then a crv motor mount, Kpro on top of the cost already, another sway bar, plus miscellanies parts. Why not sc it for that type of money with a good tune and call it a day with less than half the work required?

More potential w/ a k24a2? If you want to go big, then go big.

RHCP0801
06-27-2011, 07:32 PM

you dont need a 6 speed tranny, an sc with a good tune wont get almost 200 ft lbs of tq on a stock a3, even the hp wont get as high as 230 on the race kit

usedep3
06-27-2011, 08:53 PM
k24a2 w/ a uncut, unmodified rbc, rdx oem injectors, karcepts adapter ep3 throttle body. can i run the stock usdm ep3 fuel rail? i've been reading that it won't fit. what are you guys using?

Slip_Angle
06-27-2011, 09:27 PM
k24a2 w/ a uncut, unmodified rbc, rdx oem injectors, karcepts adapter ep3 throttle body. can i run the stock usdm ep3 fuel rail? i've been reading that it won't fit. what are you guys using?

Yes the stock fuel rail works, it just needs to be bent slightly. I did it with no issues.

http://i54.tinypic.com/24mfa13.jpg

mitchlikesbikes
06-27-2011, 10:32 PM

it's also not just good for NA power. if you get bored you can boost the things to 300hp and beyond easily. try doing that to an a3 haha.

Mikebuen
06-27-2011, 11:43 PM
I hear you guys but I'm not looking for a weekend racer just better power out of my car. I love my Ep just hate the motor it came with. I'd be happy with more responsive acceleration while merging lanes. I just lost my motorcycle and feel like my car is dirt slow

usedep3
06-28-2011, 06:44 PM
what belt should you use with a k24a2 on the ep?

-oem usdm ep3
-oem usdm 06-08 tsx k24a2
-685k6 (not sure of brand)
-685k7 (not sure of brand)

RHCP0801
06-28-2011, 08:29 PM
ep3 one fits fine, im using it

usedep3
06-28-2011, 09:52 PM
ep3 one fits fine, im using it

gracias. that's the one i'll go with

Mikebuen
06-30-2011, 01:54 PM
For those of you with the K24A2 swap how's your gas mileage and are you using a 6 or 5 speed tranny? Thanks guys just trying to do Some homework before spending big money

RHCP0801
06-30-2011, 02:31 PM
im using the 5 speed tranny and i get like 24mpg

Slip_Angle
06-30-2011, 05:39 PM
It's been a long time since the swap but I seem to recall mileage didn't change much. The k24a2 was slightly better. 5 speed.

Mikebuen
06-30-2011, 09:42 PM
Thanks guys for the research input. I really want this motor instead of the K20crappyA3

lemonhead228
06-30-2011, 11:36 PM
Yea this is the swap Im saving up for. Is the k24a2 a good block to frank? If so which head is best for it? Just wondering.

If I go k24a2 wit all bolt ons, I might go sc down the road

AKEP
07-01-2011, 03:46 AM
why frank it? just get the right cams. head flows fine.

RHCP0801
07-01-2011, 07:28 AM
no need to frank a k24a2

AttarixEp
07-01-2011, 07:28 PM
K24a2, Type-s or aftermarket valve springs, Type-s oil pump, Type-s vtc solenoid and actuator. Cams are no need to change, depending on the build, that statement could be extremely false. But that set up will take a K24a2 to around 8600rpm safely while still making power.

ep3jd
07-01-2011, 09:05 PM
As long as its an 06+ a2

AttarixEp
07-02-2011, 04:29 PM
As long as its an 06+ a2

Even the older k24a2's will flow real well with internals and port matching.

Slip_Angle
07-02-2011, 09:18 PM
K24a2, Type-s or aftermarket valve springs, Type-s oil pump, Type-s vtc solenoid and actuator. Cams are no need to change, depending on the build, that statement could be extremely false. But that set up will take a K24a2 to around 8600rpm safely while still making power.

I'm not sure 8600 is considered safe. Those are extreme piston speeds at that RPM.

AttarixEp
07-03-2011, 11:54 AM
I'm not sure 8600 is considered safe. Those are extreme piston speeds at that RPM.

Wouldn't recommend driving for long at that rpm, but it will allow the k24a2 to rev like a k20 with no contact. That's the safe part, and if going stock, is a better route than a frank.

lemonhead228
07-04-2011, 12:16 AM
Ahh I see. I was just wondering that's why I ask.

DP420
07-04-2011, 10:49 AM
what mounts are suggested for the least vibration on the street....
really not gonna track maybe in the future....
suggestions?

mitchlikesbikes
07-04-2011, 10:59 AM
suggestions?

filled oem mounts or 65a would probably be the best.

DP420
07-04-2011, 11:35 AM
filled oem mounts or 65a would probably be the best.
where would i find these. im looking on clubrsx but all i see is 60 a to 75a ..
and the front motor mount alone... which is 60a or 75a

lemonhead228
07-05-2011, 01:23 AM

Bump

AttarixEp
07-05-2011, 06:49 PM
suggestions?

I'm running innovation steel 75a on the street. Only vibrations are when slowing down when im in low rpms.

usedep3
07-09-2011, 10:24 PM
Whats considered 'normal' operating ect temps?

RHCP0801
07-09-2011, 11:15 PM
160-170

Slip_Angle
07-10-2011, 02:43 PM
180-200F is normal. 160-170 is too low as the engine needs to be at 180+ for good combustion.

usedep3
07-10-2011, 11:04 PM
160-170

180-200F is normal. 160-170 is too low as the engine needs to be at 180+ for good combustion.

that's good to know. a friend told me something similar (170-190). my ect ranges from 183-188 on the hwy and 192 after i get off the highway and sit at a light. i thought the ECT was too hot and thought about upgrading the radiator.

sidenote: radiators in general are pretty awesome. i know it's what its supposed to do but it crazy to see how hot the radiator is on top and how cool it is on the bottom. lol

AKEP
07-11-2011, 04:48 AM
that's good to know. a friend told me something similar (170-190). my ect ranges from 183-188 on the hwy and 192 after i get off the highway and sit at a light. i thought the ECT was too hot and thought about upgrading the radiator.

sidenote: radiators in general are pretty awesome. i know it's what its supposed to do but it crazy to see how hot the radiator is on top and how cool it is on the bottom. lol

i wish that was true for exhaust..

usedep3
07-30-2011, 05:35 PM
what is everyone revving their stock k24a2's to? stock as in no internal mods to the block, ie oil pump, vtc, valve springs, retrainers, etc

RHCP0801
07-30-2011, 10:06 PM

usedep3
07-31-2011, 06:46 AM

damn really? wow! i thought the k24a2 had oil cavitation issues at high rpms.

RHCP0801
07-31-2011, 08:53 AM
nope, no problems

lemonhead228
09-19-2011, 11:16 AM
What intake cam has the best vtc? I read on somebody post but can find it. When I do the swap, I'm change these out first and keep the exhaust cams in.

I think it might be the 05 dc5s? Or the type r?

RHCP0801
09-19-2011, 03:26 PM
most people change over to the 06+ tsx cams with 25 degree vtc

lemonhead228
09-19-2011, 05:09 PM
What if I got the 06+? What's the degree for vtc mean?

RHCP0801
09-19-2011, 05:27 PM
than you don't need to change the cams

here are some links with info about the vtc gear

http://www.hondata.com/tuning_k24a2_tsx_engine.html

http://www.k20a.org/forum/showthread.php?t=61319

da9b16
09-22-2011, 10:49 AM
I have read this thread through its entirety and I still need some clarifications. Here is what I have:

TSX complete longblock with engine harness and all that....it was given to me for doing a swap. I think it was a good trade since he was broke.

I need to know if I can swap the intake manifold from the a3 to the a2. There is some information out there that says you cannot swap this over but there is also some info that you can?

If I cant use the a3 ntake manifold is the only option to buy the adapter for using the a3 throttle body? Or will a different Intake Manifold be more suitable? What is the best suited for the k24a2 or do you have to stay OEM on this one. Mine is an 05 raa motor if that helps?

Thanks for the input here. I am new to K series but NOT new to swapping engines in between chassis.

boricua4life
09-22-2011, 08:03 PM
you can use your a3 manifold.

RHCP0801
09-22-2011, 08:15 PM
if your going to fully build the motor and boost it, get the rrc manifold which costs a bit over $300 new. If your just doing bolt ons get the rbc manifold from the 06+ si. People are selling those all of the time for around $150. You can use the ep3 intake manifold on the motor. If you get the rrc or rbc you will need the karcepts adapter to bolt on the ep3 throttle body

AKEP
09-22-2011, 10:40 PM
you need that $90 adapter plate for the ep3 intake mani to work on the k24a2, because of that coolant port.

otherwise, you can spend about $20 on an NPT tap and a *90 npt-barb fitting to stick in the hole.

one way or another.

if you want to use a hondata IMG, you need to get the one that matches your intake manifold.

da9b16
09-23-2011, 06:43 AM
Thanks for the info..... VERY HELPFUL. I have done over 230 engine builds/ swaps (not including auto to manual swaps and trans swaps) I am not new to swapping between chassis at all. Just new to K series.

I just got a phone call last night from a friend who stumbled across a nearly complete k20(z?) swap from an 08 si civic and asked me if I wanted it!!! So the doors just flew open on posibilities. He said the head/ trans, rack and there is a block there but not sure if the block matches the head. He was cleaning out a storage facility for a friend and the guy told him to take it. He said "I know just who to call". I fix his computers for him 2-3 times a year for free.

RHCP0801
09-23-2011, 08:07 AM
08 civic si has a k20z3, good motor to swap in but I would also check it out to make sure everything is in good working order and the head matches the block

AKEP
09-23-2011, 11:13 AM
z3 head also has a coolant port on head, dunno what the head stamp would be tho. the coolant port is a good sign its either a k24a2 or k30z3 head.

da9b16
09-26-2011, 02:18 PM
Well I got a chance to go over the parts- They are 100% 08si- just the head is missing the cam caps/ rocker and the cams have a lot of scoring/ scars on them. They were very poorly handled and not in good shape so I passed on them. I did however finish a complete TSX k24a2 swap in a little less than 12hrs. I think my time there was pretty good considering I have never done a k swap. I kept his K24a2 for my ep3. So I need the timing chain, tensioner and so on for getting it ready for my car. I am ready to do this NOW..... hehehehe. Save for Kpro now.

ep3allstar
09-28-2011, 09:09 PM
Well I got a chance to go over the parts- They are 100% 08si- just the head is missing the cam caps/ rocker and the cams have a lot of scoring/ scars on them. They were very poorly handled and not in good shape so I passed on them. I did however finish a complete TSX k24a2 swap in a little less than 12hrs. I think my time there was pretty good considering I have never done a k swap. I kept his K24a2 for my ep3. So I need the timing chain, tensioner and so on for getting it ready for my car. I am ready to do this NOW..... hehehehe. Save for Kpro now.

huh so you did a swap and got a motor for it? man wish i get deals like this, i should have 16 maybe 17 motors lolz

da9b16
10-03-2011, 08:07 AM
huh so you did a swap and got a motor for it? man wish i get deals like this, i should have 16 maybe 17 motors lolz

Well he did not have any money to pay me. Normally I charge half of shop prices to install. I go a little above and beyond on my installs too. I also take trades depending on the swap and so forth. I have ended up with chasis before too. I just like doing swaps really. I am trying to decide on if I should keep this thing or sell it and get a k20a2 or a k24a1. I am seriously not ok with dropping a G on a freaking ecu. I cant believe that the K series ecu has not been cracked by anyone other than hondata. That price point is absolutely insane. Then to have to pay a shop to tune on top of that is insanity. I just cant justify 800-1000 for an ecu then another 200-500 for tune time at a shop.... LAME. So I may sell the k24a2 or trade it for a k20a2 with stock ecu or k24a1/4/8 just so I can get the torque and possibly have enough left for a kpro and do vtec killer.

klik
01-09-2012, 01:39 PM
Well he did not have any money to pay me. Normally I charge half of shop prices to install. I go a little above and beyond on my installs too. I also take trades depending on the swap and so forth. I have ended up with chasis before too. I just like doing swaps really. I am trying to decide on if I should keep this thing or sell it and get a k20a2 or a k24a1. I am seriously not ok with dropping a G on a freaking ecu. I cant believe that the K series ecu has not been cracked by anyone other than hondata. That price point is absolutely insane. Then to have to pay a shop to tune on top of that is insanity. I just cant justify 800-1000 for an ecu then another 200-500 for tune time at a shop.... LAME. So I may sell the k24a2 or trade it for a k20a2 with stock ecu or k24a1/4/8 just so I can get the torque and possibly have enough left for a kpro and do vtec killer.

kpro is amust my a3 is alive after i installed mine with the reflash and high octane tune. now im saving for k24a2.

AKEP
01-10-2012, 10:52 AM
you might be able to get away with an a2 running a k24a2. it'll get you running at least (so i've heard)

klik
01-14-2012, 07:07 PM
you might be able to get away with an a2 running a k24a2. it'll get you running at least (so i've heard)

So what calibration do i use for the k24a2? i can used the k20a2 one? i wont do the swap after i smog the a3 in nov 2012 so i can pass lol. Ill complete the parts first and drop it, pocket is not deep so ill built it slowly.

mitchlikesbikes
01-14-2012, 07:09 PM
So what calibration do i use for the k24a2? i can used the k20a2 one? i wont do the swap after i smog the a3 in nov 2012 so i can pass lol. Ill complete the parts first and drop it, pocket is not deep so ill built it slowly.

if you have k pro then use the k24a2 calibration.

RHCP0801
01-14-2012, 10:27 PM
yea there is a calibration for a k24a2 in kpro

AKEP
01-16-2012, 11:12 AM
it's weird, that one doesn't work for me, even after i change settings to what i have it set to now. at least it works for you guys.

02CivicSI-VTEC
01-26-2012, 02:57 PM
it's weird, that one doesn't work for me, even after i change settings to what i have it set to now. at least it works for you guys.

At 1st it would even want to start my Frank until I disable some in the k24a2 kal. I for got what it was then after that was able to drive to thetuner safely

LP640
01-26-2012, 05:27 PM
Just finished my k24a2 swap, turns over but won't start. There's spark at the plugs but no fuel. I check the fuel line and its got fuel. Did I miss something in kpro that's not letting the injectors fire. Kpro shows about 34ms and 5% duty when cranking.

AKEP
01-26-2012, 05:58 PM
try pulling the efi connector off and turning the key on, should shoot some gas. that lets you know the pump is working and lines are ok for sure, after that i would make sure the injectors are grounded? or connected all the way?

LP640
01-27-2012, 08:50 AM
try pulling the efi connector off and turning the key on, should shoot some gas. that lets you know the pump is working and lines are ok for sure, after that i would make sure the injectors are grounded? or connected all the way?

Well I pulled the efi off and gas sprayed out under pressure, and I made sure the ground was ok on the valve cover. Just for the hell of it I tired the other kal under "other cars" the stock k24a2 but just the same thing, pulled the plugs and there dry.
Its hard to imagine all the injectors being bad but they have been sitting for months or years and were super hard to get out of the original manifold and fuel rail (I'm using stock IM and fuel rail) ...any ideas?

LP640
01-27-2012, 04:17 PM
got it figured out...all four injectors are all mechanically stuck closed.

mitchlikesbikes
01-27-2012, 04:22 PM
got it figured out...all four injectors are all mechanically stuck closed.

damn. good excuse for an upgrade i guess. that's pretty crazy though

AKEP
01-29-2012, 06:13 PM
if you got kpro you can put some rdx injectors for shiz n giggles. you'd need a tune to be safe anyways.

iDom
01-29-2012, 08:25 PM
I was doing an oil change this weekend, and I know some people had sway bar fitment issues.. So, I figured i'd take a photo or two of my current clearance and see what you guys think.. I read somewhere the k24 sits up about 3/4 inches higher than the a3 if i'm not mistaken? I didn't measure it, but there's definitely way more than 3/4's of an inch gap as it sits right now.. Oh yea, it's a EP3 specific JRRH

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7156/6784131733_d12829045d.jpg
Don'tcha just love them salted Ohio roads?
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7019/6784127051_c6015e74a4.jpg

mitchlikesbikes
01-29-2012, 08:28 PM
the clearance does vary from header to header, but it looks like yours should be okay.

iDom
01-29-2012, 08:42 PM
Ok, cool. Well that makes me feel a bit better.

LP640
02-04-2012, 06:09 PM
if you got kpro you can put some rdx injectors for shiz n giggles. you'd need a tune to be safe anyways.

Yep stuck some RDX injectors in and she fired up no problem. but now it over heats after 8-10mins. got the car all jacked up but not really getting anywhere with the burping. Does it take a long time? I kinda get worried when the temp gets 224-227 and shut it off and coolant goes everywhere. My k24a2 didn't come with the black metal pipe for the heater return line so i cut the a3 one a bit and used some rubber hose...cant think that would make much of a difference thou, other than that its all the same deal.

RHCP0801
02-04-2012, 10:55 PM
make sure the heat is blasting and rev it up and hold it there. Having one of these funnels helps a whole lot

http://www.amazon.com/Lisle-24610-Spill-Free-Funnel/dp/B001A4EAV0

usedep3
02-05-2012, 07:48 AM
^ this. make sure the heat is on blast so that the coolant can flow/burp into the heater core. holding the revs should help get the tstat to open up sooner too.

LP640
02-05-2012, 03:52 PM
How hot do you let the engine get before shutting it off? ...I'll try holding the revs higher see if it makes any difference.

RHCP0801
02-05-2012, 09:39 PM
engine temp should not go above 180-190

LP640
02-06-2012, 05:26 PM
Thanks for all the advice, holding the revs really made the difference. Was a able to take the car for a drive and the engines running pretty good on the base 04-05 kal. On the other hand the tranny sounds like i really f'd things up sticking the LSD in but i'll ask my questions about it in the transmission forum.

thakid
02-27-2012, 12:06 AM
Not sure if there is a list like this or if there are better sites for prices but this is the list i came up with. Edit or add to.

****INTAKE****
http://www.karcepts.com/shop/product.php?id_product=56
RRC Intake Manifold (Best IM For Any K-Series(Second Skunk2 & RBC IM)
http://www.karcepts.com/shop/product.php?id_product=54
Karcepts RRC Adaptor 70MM Kim06 (If You Use The RBC Manifold Use Kim01)(NEEDED)
http://www.karcepts.com/shop/product.php?id_product=40
Karcepts IACV Block Off Plate (Cleans Up TB & Helps Fitment)(K Series Run Fine With Out The IACV)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

****MOUNTS****
http://www.karcepts.com/shop/product.php?id_product=17
Hasport Motor Mounts (Best Motor Mounts For Any K-Series Swap)
http://www.showstoppersusa.com/produ...oducts_id=2039
Avid Motor Mounts (Best Motor Mounts)(2nd Innovative, 3rd OEM)
http://www.showstoppersusa.com/produ...roducts_id=370
Energy Suspension Motor Mount Inserts (NEEDED If You Dont Use AfterMarket Motor Mounts)
http://www.corsportusa.com/store/cat...oducts_id=5837
P2R K24 CRV Bracket (Lighter Than OEM CRV Bracket)(P2R Bracket Or CRV OEM Bracket Is NEEDED)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

****RANDOM****
http://www.karcepts.com/shop/product.php?id_product=70
Karcepts Intake Air Bypass Control Thermal Valve Delete
http://www.corsportusa.com/store/cat...oducts_id=1684
Buddy Club Racing Spec Header (Dcrh, ssr(best), obx)
http://www.clubrsx.com/cr/CC-CK-8037-2.html
Stage 2 Clutch & Type S Flywheel (You Have Better Options With Type S Flywheel)
http://www.karcepts.com/shop/product.php?id_product=29
Hondata IMG
Walbro 255 Fuel Pump

iDom
03-18-2012, 06:42 PM
The engine that I'm getting doesn't come with the k24a2 thermostat housing. What modifications with my k20a3 thermostat housing will I have to do to make it work?

I have the k20a3 fuel rail, and the TSX injectors with the RBC IM. It's a k24a2 block, and a k20z3 head. Nothing will need modified, right? (Yes, I have Karcepts)

lemonhead228
05-02-2012, 01:08 AM
Alright I'm bout to buy a 04 k24a2 short block that have darton sleeves and I'm getting a 05 k24a2 head to make it complete. I read up that its not safe to rev a k24 above 8500.. It shouldn't be a problem since I have the sleeves huh? I'm planning on getting a k20a2 oil pump for the higher revs also.. if I rev to 9 than that will be bad Ass.

Heads up, everything else is stock. Might knife edge the crank and 50 degree vtc.

AttarixEp
05-02-2012, 03:54 AM
K20 oil pump won't support 9000rpm. Most k24a2's will stop making power in the 8600rpm range anyways unless you have a head built to flow like mad.

lemonhead228
05-02-2012, 06:47 PM
so basically the sleeves are only good if i go boost... ummm maybe in the future

ryboto
05-31-2013, 07:53 AM
What's the opinion of this group as far as intake manifolds, throttle bodies, and VTC gearing for NA swaps?? I am currently using the RBB and EP3 throttle body, and a stock TSX VTC gear. I'll be swapping to the EP3's 50*VTC soon, and read the RBB doesn't really take advantage of the advanced timing....so then I got to thinking about going RBC(Though i'd hate to cut anything in the engine bay to make it fit...), and then people suggested a bigger TB to match the RBC.

differentK
05-31-2013, 08:05 AM
if your staying NA the RBC is a good add on. Either use the stock EP throttle body with the adapter or you could upgrade to a larger one- your call. if your a bit more budget minded a max bored TB with matching RBC would be a good route too. cutting to fit the RBC is really not that big a deal. the 50deg VTC will work wonders with your mid range torque though- and the RBC will improve your top end power. check out K20a.org for more engine related specs- they have done it all over there.

ryboto
05-31-2013, 08:15 AM
if your staying NA the RBC is a good add on. Either use the stock EP throttle body with the adapter or you could upgrade to a larger one- your call. if your a bit more budget minded a max bored TB with matching RBC would be a good route too. cutting to fit the RBC is really not that big a deal. the 50deg VTC will work wonders with your mid range torque though- and the RBC will improve your top end power. check out K20a.org for more engine related specs- they have done it all over there.

Yea, I'm looking at the RBC matched to a maxbore TB...In this case, would any k-series TB work? The cheapest one would probably be the best bet...
If I had had the foresight, I would have just bought the friggin 70mm karcepts adapter for the same price as the one I bought! ...now I'll have to have that matched, or do it myself if I go down this road...

klik
06-15-2013, 08:00 AM
anyone ever tried this TB? sound to good to be true for the price. Im thinking of trying them.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GODSPEED-RSX-DC5-CIVIC-SI-EP3-K20-K20A-70MM-CNC-INTAKE-THROTTLE-BODY-PERFORMANCE-/121056456007?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1c2f86ed47&vxp=mtr

gtecd20
07-09-2013, 10:12 AM
i have heard of them but not used them yet how is your swap progress going???

danito321
07-10-2013, 06:49 PM
i have the rbb mani and when i use my stock throttle body the cables are touching the hood. i heard of people trimming the hood protector stuff to get it to fit. is this correct? what else could i do if this does not solve my problem?

rowerperk
07-23-2013, 12:04 PM
I had the same problem, I just removed my insulation from the hood completely and its been like that for a year with no problems. The cruise control cable is bending a little more then the throttle cable, but it still works fine.

captaingamez
07-23-2013, 06:37 PM
yeah I just removed mine as well when I put the 24 in, but I didnt need to , it was just old.

vbpracer
08-13-2013, 10:01 PM
I had to remove the liner because the jrsc was rubbing with the k24a2. Happy to see this thread still going.

Ep3easternshore
01-23-2014, 12:33 PM
Can anybody explain me why we are swap alternotor,starter and compressor? Its look plug and play and k24 alternator have more volt and starter also look bigger ! Why we dont use them for more relability?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AttarixEp
01-23-2014, 12:54 PM
I used my ep3 alternator and starter with my swap. Never had an issue. Didn't keep ac though.

Ep3easternshore
01-23-2014, 01:38 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/01/24/aqutudab.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/01/24/y6era2up.jpg

captaingamez
02-01-2014, 02:53 PM
the starter will work with any car regardless. However, the newer starters with the internal solenoid are much better units.

Ep3easternshore
02-01-2014, 06:12 PM
Thank u for answer!how about ac condenser? I heard alternator wont work because differnt woltage or somethink

captaingamez
02-02-2014, 11:13 AM
That one I am not sure on.... I thought I read something about using an Accord alternator somewhere...