PDA

View Full Version : Brake Squeek - Help

introvert
04-22-2010, 09:59 AM
I replaced all four pads and the front rotors about 2 months ago. I seem to have a squeek that has been growing in volume and annoyance lately. The squeek only seems to be present when I am at a slow roll moving forward and goes away after I get to around 20 mph.

All of the pads were greased. I think the sound is coming from one of the rear wheels, but I haven't been able to have a listen to it from the outside. I'm tempted on just replacing the rear rotors, too.. But I don't think the rotors would cause a squeel.

Any ideas on how to troubleshoot, what took look at first?

Drew1d
04-22-2010, 01:33 PM
When on a small incline, does the car roll normally? (neutral, no brakes)
If no, Lift the rear of the car, support on stands. With the handbrake off, do both wheels spin freely? (frozen caliper piston/E-brake stuck)
If yes, check for dusting. Is there excessive dust? Douse with brakkleen. Did the squeek go away?
If no, check the wheel bearing for play and squeeking. Is the wheel bearing ok? If yes, check for rubbing somewhere.
If not rubbing, disassemble and re-grease.

Good luck.

introvert
04-23-2010, 10:18 AM
Going to check it out this weekend. Thanks for the pointers - much appreciated!

bmyers4321
04-23-2010, 11:58 AM
Did you accidentally bend a backing plate causing it to rub on the rotor. May want to check that first. If it is in fact in the rear(gigity), definitely a possibility that a pad is draging.