PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever install their own alarm?

ssvr6
12-02-2002, 08:26 PM
I'm really tempted to try this myself just to save on the labor. (Since I'd like a higher end unit.)

Any recommendations for brands/models and how hard is the install?

Steve

chunky
12-02-2002, 08:31 PM
the install can be tricky. it all depends on how patient you are. There are a SHITLOAD of wires to run, and you would have to have a factory wiring guide to make life easier.

also, the more sensors and shit you add on to the system, the trickier it gets.

ssvr6
12-02-2002, 08:57 PM
Any brand recommendations?

Steve

chunky
12-02-2002, 09:12 PM
any of the DEI brands - viper or clifford.

if you want all the tricks, you can't beat an alpine alarm. you name it, they've got it. a pager module, motion detector, programmable voice alerts, window motor control, sunroof control, remote start, and the list goes on and on and on.

golferjn
12-02-2002, 11:55 PM
getting the helm electrical troubleshooting manual for our car will help a lot. #61S5T00EL especially if you want to install an alarm yourself.

i-WERKS
12-03-2002, 12:00 PM
I got the Clifford Concept 400. It has a dual zone proximity sensor, shock sensor, and sensor for the hood, doors and trunk.
There are a lot of accessories for this alarm.
There's a Cliffnet wizard that connects your alarm to a computer so you can set all your warning and trigger zones and even set any wav file as your siren. There's add ons like window down by remote, tilt sensors and back up sirens.

jaydub
12-03-2002, 03:52 PM
I had a clifford on my 99 Civic and I really liked it a lot. I plan to install my own this time as well, but not until I get the manuals and a weekend where I know I won't need the car if I screw up. :D

ssvr6
12-03-2002, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by jaydub
I plan to install my own this time as well, but not until I get the manuals and a weekend where I know I won't need the car if I screw up. :D

It's like you read my mind and posted my thoughts.

:D

Steve

jaydub
12-03-2002, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by ssvr6

It's like you read my mind and posted my thoughts.

Steve But wait, it's not "screwing up," It's "learning experiences!"

BTW, I got your PM, and I'll have something for your site by the end of the week, and I'd be glad to help on the 'other' thing you mentioned. I'll be in touch.

hayseed
12-05-2002, 09:29 AM
I installed the factory alarm kit. Couldn't have been easier. Directions were clear, wired to existing harness, a true plug-in job. Arms passively or manually. Valet mode. Manual arm uses existing key fob. Audible or silent arm. No motion or shock sensor. Mode changes by insert-remove-insert at ignition switch. :D

golferjn
12-05-2002, 09:36 AM
yup, factory is just plug and play

Silvershadow
12-06-2002, 03:36 AM
If Crutchfield makes a harness for our EPs,then with the Honda Electrical Manual it'll b plug 'n play except for a little wire connecting.

golferjn
12-06-2002, 11:44 AM
i agree with you, man. but crutchfield doesn't make a harness for our cars yet. it would've been so much easier if they had one.

natesi
12-07-2002, 01:12 PM
Avoid the Clifford RSIII "responder". I have it and it BLOWS.

Range sucks ass (they advertise 1/4 mile, but it's not even 1/4 of that).
What's the point of a pager alarm if the range sucks total ass?
Get one remote ONLY--repalcements are $100
Bad design--buttons constantly going off while keys are in pockests
Shitty ass battery life--replace battery about every month.

Sorry for all the swearing, but I spent a butt load of money on this and I'm really diappointed. I should have got the Compustar with 1.25 mile range for an extra $200.

Silvershadow
12-08-2002, 02:51 AM
Check d Honda alarm.I don't know if you need a seperate Honda hook-up harness.Alarm is around $120.D remote l@@ks just like d present remote except a extra button 4 d trunk.Alarm made 4 Honda from I think Omron.I'm wondering if it has d anti-grabbing codes like d better alarms.No siren.has glass sensor.

ssvr6
12-08-2002, 07:20 AM
I have the stock "alarm" is there an upgrade or another unit that I can add to what I have? One from Honda?

Steve

Silvershadow
12-09-2002, 01:33 AM
D question is still whether d Honda has d anti-code grabbing feature.If not d upgrades would be useless.There 's all kinds of non-Honda upgrades 1 can add.