PDA

View Full Version : No more Type-R?

Strife
04-24-2010, 08:43 AM
TOKYO, Japan, April 19, 2010 – Honda Motor Co., Ltd. announced it will discontinue production of the 4-door Civic Type R at the end of August, 2010. A purist’s sports car featuring precisely tuned vehicle dynamics, the Civic Type R creates a unity between car and driver for exceptional driving pleasure. The first-generation model launched in 1997 and was produced at Suzuka Factory. The second-generation model following in 2001, was produced at Honda of the U.K. Manufacturing Ltd.* For the current, third-generation Civic Type R that was released in 2007, the production has returned to Suzuka Factory.

Type R models are specially tuned to take full advantage of the potential of the base model and provide a racing car-like driving feel. First offered on the NSX in 1992, the Type R range was added to the Integra in 1995 and to the Civic in 1997.

talonXracer
04-24-2010, 08:52 AM
if you read that carefully, they state it is only the 4dr typeR that will be discontinued, and rightfully so.

RedSiBaron
04-24-2010, 09:35 AM
exactly ^^^ the 4 door, next year they already announced they will be selling a special euro 3 door in japan, and then if you remember the civic is getting a redesign and we should be seeing a new one in 2012 :mwink:

so do you know what this tells me? they are retooling the facility for the type r in suzuka...thats why they are stopping production of the 4 durr :mwink: they are working on the next one

showoff3civic
04-24-2010, 12:34 PM
the type-r sedan is the fastest produced type-r to date, and the EURO hatch has a solid rear beam suspension design. WTF Honda!

&REY
04-24-2010, 12:48 PM
the type-r sedan is the fastest produced type-r to date, and the EURO hatch has a solid rear beam suspension design. WTF Honda!

x2

starwars_ep3
04-24-2010, 01:05 PM
i read an article and i thought honda was discontinuing the type r brand forever. so let me get this straight, it's only the current type rs which they are discontinuing (4 door sedan and coupe and the euro), right?

talonXracer
04-24-2010, 02:10 PM
i read an article and i thought honda was discontinuing the type r brand forever. so let me get this straight, it's only the current type rs which they are discontinuing (4 door sedan and coupe and the euro), right?

Nope, just the 4door

RedSiBaron
04-24-2010, 02:11 PM
the euro hatch has a torsion bar rear beam suspension, even weirder...

again i remind you though, euro hatch produced in the uk, they currently ship them to japan for the people who want them, they are stopping production of the 4 dr in japan to switch to production of the next car and in the mean time sell a hopped up euro hatch...best as i can figure

ive not heard anything from the industry or honda that they are discontinuing the type r and they are only stopping production of the current 4 dr and they are still producing the euro hatch

mr-alternative
04-24-2010, 02:14 PM
Euro Type-R is discontinued by this year. Honda sells the last produced 400+ cars in whole europe and thats it.

Why Honda discontinued the Type-R?

By 2011 a new emission law gets started and Honda couldnt give the Type-R any modifications to fullfill these laws.

RedSiBaron
04-24-2010, 03:07 PM
Euro Type-R is discontinued by this year. Honda sells the last produced 400+ cars in whole europe and thats it.

Why Honda discontinued the Type-R?

By 2011 a new emission law gets started and Honda couldnt give the Type-R any modifications to fullfill these laws.

that might be in europe, though i have to ask where you heard this because i follow world automotive news very closely and have not heard this

20CiviC02Si
04-24-2010, 08:42 PM
All i can say is that if i ever see a Type R hybrid i am giving up on any honda model produced from 2005 and up.

DrZfInEsT
04-25-2010, 06:28 AM
Wtf is going on with Honda lately.

RedSiBaron
04-25-2010, 11:22 AM
Wtf is going on with Honda lately.

they are trying to build their brand image and market share instead of trying to compete in a flooded sport compact market...the automotive industry is hurting right, so everyone is doing what they do best to maintain profits and market share...honda is good at building affordable, well built, long lasting cars...why build anything higher performance oriented than the civic si when people are looking at MPGs...thats whats going on with honda...

if you are asking about their design, i got nothing for you there, go back in time 5 years and ask them what they were thinking, thats how long it takes to develop cars...

mr-alternative
04-25-2010, 11:58 AM
officially by Honda no one says sth. about the sale on the last Type-R. Some Honda dealer posted this on their website:

http://honda-mueller-online.de/Newsdetails.8+M57fe65a794b.0.html

RedSiBaron
04-25-2010, 12:19 PM
i dont know what you are saying or what it says on the site sorry...

mr-alternative
04-25-2010, 12:28 PM
on this honda dealer site stands, that Honda discontinues the Civic Type-R and Honda just sells the last 444 produced cars.

RedSiBaron
04-25-2010, 01:00 PM
on this honda dealer site stands, that Honda discontinues the Civic Type-R and Honda just sells the last 444 produced cars.

id think that would mean they are discontinuing the current car...i dont think by any means they are discontinuing selling type rs in the future, we are coming up on a vehicle model change over within the year and then we will see about a next type r or not...

mr-alternative
04-25-2010, 01:19 PM
id think that would mean they are discontinuing the current car...i dont think by any means they are discontinuing selling type rs in the future, we are coming up on a vehicle model change over within the year and then we will see about a next type r or not...

When i have a look to the hybrid trend which Honda has now in europe (cr-z this year, jazz coming up next year or so) it seems to be they maybe are ending the Type-R series.

But lets wait a while and we'll see if it was the last type-r or not..

But on the one or other side: i like the "egg type-r"

Blah1219
04-25-2010, 04:28 PM
So what's next?? instead of a K20a, it should be a Type R K26a!! I wonder if they are going to discontinue the k series...

LLH
04-25-2010, 04:52 PM
they just needs to make a engine thats type r worthy, and that 1.5 hybrid thing isent IMO.. There was some ruomrs of a CRZ with that engine and some el motors with more grunt but i dont belive that that happens.

as for the FN2, theres a facelift coming afaik, so the 444 mentioned on that page posted by mr-alternative might be the last of the fn2 that looks like the current car. not any major changes for sure, just like the ep3 i 2003-2004 :)

RedSiBaron
04-25-2010, 05:09 PM
So what's next?? instead of a K20a, it should be a Type R K26a!! I wonder if they are going to discontinue the k series...

they use the k series across almost the entire line of hondas and acuras, they wont discontinue the k series. The civic si has been wildly successful in the us and the euro type r has been very successful in japan. when they release the new civic in 2012 i would expect another performance civic in the us, IE another Si and probably another type r...both rocking a k series...in coming years i would expect to see more performance hybrids coming our way as well. there has even been rumors of a type r CRZ which they will add a bigger electric motor and hop up the 1.5l slightly to produce around 200hp. sure its not the same thing as the k series type r motor, but times are changing and you will have to expect the idea of what performance is in lower end cars like hondas. You want high output traditional engine cars you will have to start looking at cars that are expensive play toys like lotus' and up to higher performance supercars...sorry...

again i will remind you that when the hondas of the late 80s came out and the first SIs came out that was just like the idea of the performance hybrids. a 1.3l or 1.5l with 56-91 hp with between 40-80mpg...it seemed crazy then, but it caught on...

things change with the times, thats reality, but i do not think honda will discontinue type rs all together, its the high performance designation of honda. the definition of the high performance honda may change from what you know it as though...

I think they're trying hard to get away from the tuner image. Our cars have major flaws, most of the recent cars are ugly to begin with, let alone slow. The only real production tease for a CRX replacement is a hybrid. Scrapped the slow ass S2K, and NSX (Slow in comparison to their theoretical market of Corvettes). It's all plain to me. They're trying to be a "Green" brand.

by the way, hondas always been a "green" brand, they are one of the few that are ACTUALLY green...the company sees it as a social responsibility

the idea of the crz being a performance hybrid is just like the first crx hf...it was a sporty MPG getter... i think people forget this...stock CRXs were always dirt slow, people just think of them as something different because of the tuner community.

RedSiBaron
04-25-2010, 05:21 PM
dont get me wrong, you make good points too, i was just tweaking those points...haha :mbiggrin:

RedSiBaron
04-25-2010, 05:32 PM
why would they need to do that...thats lots of money in R&D that doesnt give them much return. let other companies play that game of one uping each other every year. plus honda doesnt have the money to do that right now. they did have that nsx in the works that they caned as a production car and is just using it as a race car.

OH and a reminder, word is theres nothing out there that says they canned the OSM concept which was a roadster concept. word is its a hybrid performance roadster or an s2k replacement...so they should have a lightweight roadster coming out at some point

I want to add to my CRZ comments, they are already selling extremely well in japan...

RedSiBaron
04-25-2010, 05:51 PM
i am expecting the crz to be a lot of fun to drive...im first on the list to test drive one when they get the demo from honda in at the dealer down the street from me :mbiggrin:

i am not very worried about the kswap for it...since its basically a fit 1.5 motor and hasport already has a k series swap for the fit, i would expect that kit or a variation of it to work for the crz...i figure if i pick up a crz at some point ill rock the hybrid setup until either the battery needs to be replaced, the electric motor, or engine, and then ill do a k-swap into it...heh

talonXracer
04-25-2010, 06:01 PM
With the newest mpg, emissions, and safety regulations the sporty vehicles like the typeR will be relegated to history and other markets. It is inevitable that new vehicles will be commuter vehicles.

RedSiBaron
04-25-2010, 06:05 PM
With the newest mpg, emissions, and safety regulations the sporty vehicles like the typeR will be relegated to history and other markets. It is inevitable that new vehicles will be commuter vehicles.

pretty much...i dont think we'll ever see more than 200-220 out of a honda 4cylinder...

the one nice innovation we have in the future for the sake of commuter fuel efficient cars, is MORE ALUMINUM!!! companies across the board are moving towards aluminum spaceframe vehicles (yes the NSX already was, and some cars are already all aluminum). They are also looking at cheaper composite construction. So we can atleast expect lighter cars in coming years.

J Mo
04-25-2010, 07:30 PM
i'd say Honda start bringing in clean diesels here now -- ohhh, that i-CTDi engine, and mmm torque :mbiggrin:

and they should get diesel hybrids in here -- now that will kill gas-elec hybrids

but then again... can you imagine a diesel powered Type-R :mrolleyes:

RedSiBaron
04-25-2010, 07:39 PM
i'd say Honda start bringing in clean diesels here now -- ohhh, that i-CTDi engine, and mmm torque :mbiggrin:

and they should get diesel hybrids in here -- now that will kill gas-elec hybrids

but then again... can you imagine a diesel powered Type-R :mrolleyes:

i would rock the shit out of a diesel hybrid, i dont know why they dont do it here, it would be a pretty awesome car...

i dont give a shit, do a turbo diesel honda 4 cylinder and throw on their hybrid system for the extra torque and range and then performance tune the chassis, throw it in a honda hatch...id rock the shit outta that

talonXracer
04-25-2010, 07:43 PM
I would to! But a diesel hybrid makes far too much common sense for it to be a reality. It would probably out sell most any other hybrid hands down.

talonXracer
04-25-2010, 07:49 PM
They are also looking at cheaper composite construction. So we can atleast expect lighter cars in coming years.

I have made several composite chassis for ATV's using aircraft ply, foam, kevlar, aluminum, Cf, and epoxy. They were far lighter and stronger than any steel chassis could be.

Car's are just begging for a similar composite chassis!

RedSiBaron
04-25-2010, 08:13 PM
I would to! But a diesel hybrid makes far too much common sense for it to be a reality. It would probably out sell most any other hybrid hands down.

exactly...my first concept in school was for a dodge bio-diesel hybrid truck with the hydraulic regenerative braking they are using on semis as well as the camless engine technology...it was pretty awesome, all current real technology that gives you everything you want need...the guy from chrysler didnt like it because it made too much sense basically...

I have made several composite chassis for ATV's using aircraft ply, foam, kevlar, aluminum, Cf, and epoxy. They were far lighter and stronger than any steel chassis could be.

Car's are just begging for a similar composite chassis!

pretty much all of my thesis is based around an aluminum space frame vehicle with composite panels that turn it into a semi-monocoque spaceframe, plus im using some other technologies kicking around...basically its a vehicle with current useable tech that no one is using because of the auto industry being so up its ass supporting outdated tech like steel stamping :mrolleyes:...in June when i finish it ill be posting the whole deal up...dont want to say much more than this haha

CHASEEE
04-25-2010, 08:41 PM
It does seem that Honda is setting themselves up for a different direction. It's easy to take it as a bad thing, but for me it's just too early to tell.

J Mo
04-25-2010, 09:09 PM

my apologies to suddenly shift the thread's focus from the typeR to diesel powered cars

but then again, makes far too much common sense to be a reality? i dont think i quite get this one, but as far as im concerned, i'd take a raw clean diesel engine over a gas-electric hybrid

.. i think gas-electric hybrids are just scams made by the oil companies to try and prevent clean diesel from reaching consumers

BUT ANYWAY, back on topic i suppose -- CRZ-R sounds smexy to me, and so does a Fit Type-R :mbiggrin:

RedSiBaron
04-25-2010, 09:33 PM
my apologies to suddenly shift the thread's focus from the typeR to diesel powered cars

but then again, makes far too much common sense to be a reality? i dont think i quite get this one, but as far as im concerned, i'd take a raw clean diesel engine over a gas-electric hybrid

.. i think gas-electric hybrids are just scams made by the oil companies to try and prevent clean diesel from reaching consumers

BUT ANYWAY, back on topic i suppose -- CRZ-R sounds smexy to me, and so does a Fit Type-R :mbiggrin:

hybrids arent scams, they are the middle ground to ease people into the idea that electric cars arent strange, then when companies release electric cars that actually function on a day to day basis, people wont be scared of them

J Mo
04-25-2010, 09:37 PM
hybrids arent scams, they are the middle ground to ease people into the idea that electric cars arent strange, then when companies release electric cars that actually function on a day to day basis, people wont be scared of them

well said -- i never thought of them that way, and in a sense your post enlightens me quite a bit

hmm, with that being said, i wonder how its going to be with an all electric Type-R?

RedSiBaron
04-25-2010, 10:01 PM
well said -- i never thought of them that way, and in a sense your post enlightens me quite a bit

hmm, with that being said, i wonder how its going to be with an all electric Type-R?

the technology for ion lithium or some of the other battery technologies need to get to the point where you can still get a 200mile range, plus quick charging, plus light weights, before you will see an electric type r...not to mention affordability, right now good automotive electrical systems are still fairly expensive. we'll see, i think electric cars are the shit, as long as they can quick charge, and the vehicle gets at least a 200mile range...

its not like they cant deliver huge performance...the biggest issue is the charging, but theres a lot being done for that...we'll see, i wouldnt be surprised if in 30-50 years we had that

RedSiBaron
04-26-2010, 10:20 AM
fifth gear's review of the CR-Z, take it or leave it, this is a tleast an opinion on it!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vn_8uJ60GvY&feature=player_embedded#!

enjoy

J Mo
04-26-2010, 10:52 AM
the technology for ion lithium or some of the other battery technologies need to get to the point where you can still get a 200mile range, plus quick charging, plus light weights, before you will see an electric type r...not to mention affordability, right now good automotive electrical systems are still fairly expensive. we'll see, i think electric cars are the shit, as long as they can quick charge, and the vehicle gets at least a 200mile range...

its not like they cant deliver huge performance...the biggest issue is the charging, but theres a lot being done for that...we'll see, i wouldnt be surprised if in 30-50 years we had that

well, we have the cars made by Tesla Motors to look up to in this case

RedSiBaron
04-26-2010, 10:56 AM
well, we have the cars made by Tesla Motors to look up to in this case

this is true, but that car was just a first attempt, its biggest issue is it is too heavy, and the charge time on it is still an issue...

tesla is having financial problems right now which is causing problems for them to improve upon their first sportscar...

J Mo
04-26-2010, 11:05 AM
this is true, but that car was just a first attempt, its biggest issue is it is too heavy, and the charge time on it is still an issue...

tesla is having financial problems right now which is causing problems for them to improve upon their first sportscar...

well lets hope for the best when their Model-S 4 door all electric sedan comes out -- perhaps that would appeal to a larger demographic than the roadster

fifth gear's review of the CR-Z, take it or leave it, this is a tleast an opinion on it!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vn_8uJ60GvY&feature=player_embedded#!

enjoy

i just finished watching this -- thanks for sharing!

i like the fact that the car seems really classy, to myself anyway -- manual gearbox? perhaps it would be the only thing that would sway my opinion towards hybrids, barring the original insight of course, so count me in!

in reference to a previous post (or is it a different thread?) regarding a K series swap into a CR-Z body, mmm, a CR-Z Si, CR-Z SiR, and --- eek, a CR-Z Type-R?

white_r
05-04-2010, 04:26 AM
what Mr.Ichisima of Spoon said that Honda might release the CR-Z type R in 3-4 years time or maybe sooner.

The current CR-Z has sold 10,000 units in its first month of sales in Japan, and obviously tuners like J's, Mugen, Spoon, HKS, HKS Kansai, 5Zigen and lots more have produced lots of aftermarket parts for the car.

Honda Japan bought MINI, Scirroco, and Lotus Elise during the production of the CR-Z. Their attempt is to make the car as rigid as a Type R and agile as a Lotus Elise. Which they did, and Mr. Ichisima praised the car even in its stock form.

RedSiBaron
05-04-2010, 07:45 AM
what Mr.Ichisima of Spoon said that Honda might release the CR-Z type R in 3-4 years time or maybe sooner.

The current CR-Z has sold 10,000 units in its first month of sales in Japan, and obviously tuners like J's, Mugen, Spoon, HKS, HKS Kansai, 5Zigen and lots more have produced lots of aftermarket parts for the car.

Honda Japan bought MINI, Scirroco, and Lotus Elise during the production of the CR-Z. Their attempt is to make the car as rigid as a Type R and agile as a Lotus Elise. Which they did, and Mr. Ichisima praised the car even in its stock form.

quoted for lots of truth

Draw7Seven
05-04-2010, 09:53 AM
I feel like my life wouldn't change one bit whether there were a Type-R or not. There, I said it.

socmex7
05-04-2010, 05:08 PM
I feel like my life wouldn't change one bit whether there were a Type-R or not. There, I said it.

QFT.. all that really matters for us is that they keep producing a "sport" civic from which we can still swap engines from.

but i am enjoying the dialogue in this thread. i also would rock the heel out of a diesel hybrid. hell, even a turbo diesel! my sister is looking for a new car and i want her to get the new TDI jetta. test drove it and it was nice! plus the 50 mpg's don;t hurt either!

ep3demon
05-04-2010, 11:55 PM
ep3 type r > euro hatch new type r

http://www.tuninglinx.com/html/top-gear-videos-13.html

white_r
05-05-2010, 03:24 AM
ep3 type r > euro hatch new type r

http://www.tuninglinx.com/html/top-gear-videos-13.html

Yep, due to the fact that Spoon FN2 type R beats the stock FD2R by only 37 seconds. Spoon EP3 Type R will perform much better than the Spoon FN2 Type R

Passenger
05-05-2010, 07:46 AM
I wont be missing anything if they drop the Type R either, like Draw7Seven said but the only thing that bothers me is that they've discontinued the RSX, NSX, S2000, (old news) anything that has really spirited the honda "scene" or "movement". I think the CRZ is cool and all but I just don't see the hype, maybe because with a car like the CRZ when you have no rsx or s2k to compare it to ~ it seems kinda cool. but that'd be like if Nissan dropped teh skyline, 370z and came out with a hybrid that you could make decent suspension upgrades and then praised it. Well uhh yeah I guess you could if you get rid of everything that makes decent power and already has a worthy suspension set up.
Im over the honda thing anyway.

RedSiBaron
05-05-2010, 08:01 AM
I wont be missing anything if they drop the Type R either, like Draw7Seven said but the only thing that bothers me is that they've discontinued the RSX, NSX, S2000, (old news) anything that has really spirited the honda "scene" or "movement". I think the CRZ is cool and all but I just don't see the hype, maybe because with a car like the CRZ when you have no rsx or s2k to compare it to ~ it seems kinda cool. but that'd be like if Nissan dropped teh skyline, 370z and came out with a hybrid that you could make decent suspension upgrades and then praised it. Well uhh yeah I guess you could if you get rid of everything that makes decent power and already has a worthy suspension set up.
Im over the honda thing anyway.

see i just like the way the CRZ looks and the design thinking that went into it, but then again i have a slightly different perspective than most people...i had given up on buying a new honda until i saw the crz...

what gets me is that we were supposed to have a tsx coupe...I know that for a solid fact, when they discontinued the rsx the plan was to replace it with a "tsx" coupe and it completely fell off the face of the earth...the nsx was obviously just a victim of the car-pocalypse, and the s2k should have something in the works to replace it, if not the OSM (which should be happening) then something else...

Passenger
05-05-2010, 10:16 AM
see i just like the way the CRZ looks and the design thinking that went into it, but then again i have a slightly different perspective than most people...i had given up on buying a new honda until i saw the crz...

what gets me is that we were supposed to have a tsx coupe...I know that for a solid fact, when they discontinued the rsx the plan was to replace it with a "tsx" coupe and it completely fell off the face of the earth...the nsx was obviously just a victim of the car-pocalypse, and the s2k should have something in the works to replace it, if not the OSM (which should be happening) then something else...
I can understand that, because aren't you in school for auto design or something? Lookin at it from that perspective that's understandable but I know nothing of what goes INTO a car except what the average person sees: A powerful engine or an engine with potential for power, comfort in daily driving, interior features and luxuries, a gripping suspension. From that point of view the cr-z is just another hybrid and when you're used to seeing track racing nsx/s2ks/rsx or someone drag racing one of those its just hard to say I like a car that's no where near the level that those are on. You can slap a spoon decal on the front windshield and paint the wheels blue all day long but that doesn't mean that it can take the place of all the deceased honda cars that could prove themselves for the most part.
The NSX I understand was slain when the economies went down but I don't really see that affecting any other car companies. Over the years Dodge has stepped it up with the SRT family (not praising or giving any recognition of achievements, just saying) ~ Nissan's Skyline was reborn ~ and toyota's are flying out the lots (mostly cause of the faulty pedals) I just don't really see where Honda is coming from by dismantling all of the cars that we've loved, bragged about occasionally and what probably got some of us into Hondas in the first place.

2k3hatchie
05-07-2010, 11:57 AM
Diesel Engines for the US market
Expansion of the Hydrogen program
Type R models for the US market (specifically civic and accord models)
A new rear drive Acura coupe (V6 or turbo I4, SH-awd option 30-35K starting price)
A Manual transmission in the TSX wagon
A new Honda roadster
Return of the Civic Hatchback
And lastly, not just for Honda but all manufacturers... stop making the next generation of cars BIGGER! If I wanted a bigger car than a civic i'd buy an accord, ugh...:mrolleyes:

All things I'd love to see..

username011
05-07-2010, 09:20 PM
The US will never get the Type-R, Honda loves its fuel friendly earth loving reputation too much. . Plus Americans wouldnt appreciate the Type-R anyway.

And I agree with Passenger and I think Honda is losing its rep and love from us performance enthusiasts and that is a real shame. . I know my next car will definetly be one of the previous gen Hondas or Acuras or just a completely different company( I really am liking the new 370Z. .) but it for sure wont be any of the new cars honda has been putting out. I dont want a hybrid or a huge Civic.

sleepy ep3
05-07-2010, 10:18 PM
The US will never get the Type-R, Honda loves its fuel friendly earth loving reputation too much. . Plus Americans wouldnt appreciate the Type-R anyway.

And I agree with Passenger and I think Honda is losing its rep and love from us performance enthusiasts and that is a real shame. . I know my next car will definetly be one of the previous gen Hondas or Acuras or just a completely different company( I really am liking the new 370Z. .) but it for sure wont be any of the new cars honda has been putting out. I dont want a hybrid or a huge Civic.
I think Americans would hop all over the type R if it was within the price reach of those who really wanted it. Make it less than 27K and you will sell TONS of them.