PDA

View Full Version : Sub in spare tire compartment

03civichatch
04-25-2010, 12:11 PM
Ok guys so i just sold my sub's because i was sick of that massive box in my entire hatch.

My plans

i will be putting 1 10'' or 12'' sub in the spare tire compartment and making a floor around it with some type of mesh grill over the sub to protect it.

i was wondering if anyone on here has already done this and if so what they did and what product they used.

Chad
04-25-2010, 12:24 PM
http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?44046-Revival-of-my-install-thread

03civichatch
04-25-2010, 09:21 PM
wow man you did an immaculate job! i'll keep some updates on here of how it's going when i make my attempt

kev12345
04-26-2010, 01:42 PM
this is how mine looks now. i redid the floor black. blends better with the rest of the carpeting. i like to keep it as inconspicuous to thieves as possible. each side of the floor is lockable too.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3497/4555894850_23505ab5ac.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3433/4555262529_0e46054b23.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4061/4555895818_e6ca91c119.jpg

03civichatch
04-27-2010, 07:34 AM
ya that looks so clean man! i'm gonna be getting started in a week or so i have to help my friend make a custom trunk and rear deck for his altima

Chad
04-27-2010, 07:39 AM
Note that the spare was retained ;) That's handy for those of us who are family folk AND commute a fair distance in BFE.

kmbkk
05-29-2010, 09:20 AM
I'll be doing this in the not too distant future. I've done it in other cars, so hopefully it won't be too difficult. BTW does anyone know how much airspace is in the spare tire wheel well?

EpThreeD
05-29-2010, 05:59 PM
probably not much. You wont be winning any sound competitions but no one knows you have it and it looks so clean. How muxh rattle is there?

kmbkk
05-29-2010, 07:16 PM
I don't need a lot of volume, just about 1.5 ft3 sealed. Actually hatches are good for sound wave propagation, depending on how you mount the sub. For me, though, I'll be going more for sq rather than spl. I've been down that road and want something different.

MOOGEN
06-03-2010, 01:00 AM
I dk about you guys but I recently got rid of my sub system cause I couldn't take the pounding anymore. Does it mean I'm getting too old? I think all I need to do is upgrade my panel speakers and be done with it lols.

talonXracer
06-03-2010, 06:52 AM
No need to get rid of the sub, just get one that is more appropriately sized. I have ridden in the cars of youngsters and they have to have this sub that fills the entire backend and causes the windows to bulge out under stress when they crank up the volume, causing shaken baby syndrome in adults etc LOL. I have a great little 10" sealed sub that works great to add the extra depth needed to enjoy the tunes and not cause the eyeballs to jitter when the bass hits.

Chad
06-03-2010, 09:04 AM
I dk about you guys but I recently got rid of my sub system cause I couldn't take the pounding anymore. Does it mean I'm getting too old? I think all I need to do is upgrade my panel speakers and be done with it lols.

Nope, I think you need to learn how to tune :msmooch:

When a sub is properly done it simply extends how low the rest of the system can play and does so seamlessly, if it's too boomy it's too loud and likely crossed too low to blend correctly.

Once a subwoofer owner matures and tunes a rig you won't know the sub is there till you turn it off.

MOOGEN
06-03-2010, 11:58 AM
I don't have a problem with tuning. Trust me, I've had setups that kicked harder and never gave me any headaches before haaha. Aahhh those were the days!

MOOGEN
06-03-2010, 12:02 PM
No need to get rid of the sub, just get one that is more appropriately sized. I have ridden in the cars of youngsters and they have to have this sub that fills the entire backend and causes the windows to bulge out under stress when they crank up the volume, causing shaken baby syndrome in adults etc LOL. I have a great little 10" sealed sub that works great to add the extra depth needed to enjoy the tunes and not cause the eyeballs to jitter when the bass hits.

I had a single 12 in a sealed fg box that just added a hint of bass. Sounded really good just got old I guess. I think I need to go a different route with sub setups.

Chad
06-03-2010, 12:07 PM
Listener fatigue is often associated with phase anomalies. Said things can happen with different driver distances and no time alignment or choosing the wrong filter type/slope. Putting a wider band tweet in our sail panel is an absolute blessing when done right but without proper tuning with alignment or slope changes it can be a nightmare. Remember the stock woofer in the Honda system plays all the way out and the tweet is actually crossed HIGHER than we can hear at 6dB/oct. this . this brings the tweet down to the sensitivity of the woofer at about 10K and gives it a 6dB/oct constant slope in response. Really common with OEM stuff. you are not sensitive to phase at these frequencies the OEM system crosses. But at 2.5-3K where after market components cross and where most people cross active rigs.. you can bet your ass you are sensitive there. Ma-Nature programmed us that way so we could survive.

introvert
06-03-2010, 12:45 PM
I ended up going for a stock look but replaced my spare tire with a second amp and a cap.

Replacement mounting board, held down by the stock bolt for the spare tire:
http://lh5.ggpht.com/_Gfq8nP0P1Qc/S9tb1sib5xI/AAAAAAAAAQ4/BQ-Z5TCIGFs/s512/IMG_0020%5B1%5D.JPG

Placed a false floor with a hinge:
http://lh4.ggpht.com/_Gfq8nP0P1Qc/S9tb2Kzg7ZI/AAAAAAAAAQ8/uS1laCaVuPQ/s512/IMG_0021%5B1%5D.JPG

I ended up putting the factory carpet over the false floor so it looked nice and stock. I have a 12" in a sealed enclosure.

Chad
06-03-2010, 04:00 PM
held down by the stock bolt for the spare tire:

HA! Nice! I had to do a little magic with said bolt config to save my spare and fit the box.

MOOGEN
06-03-2010, 06:02 PM
Listener fatigue is often associated with phase anomalies. Said things can happen with different driver distances and no time alignment or choosing the wrong filter type/slope. Putting a wider band tweet in our sail panel is an absolute blessing when done right but without proper tuning with alignment or slope changes it can be a nightmare. Remember the stock woofer in the Honda system plays all the way out and the tweet is actually crossed HIGHER than we can hear at 6dB/oct. this . this brings the tweet down to the sensitivity of the woofer at about 10K and gives it a 6dB/oct constant slope in response. Really common with OEM stuff. you are not sensitive to phase at these frequencies the OEM system crosses. But at 2.5-3K where after market components cross and where most
people cross active rigs.. you can bet your ass you are sensitive there. Ma-Nature programmed us that way so we could survive.

Damn doc what are you recconing?