PDA

View Full Version : DIY: Coilovers

CHASEEE
04-26-2010, 09:27 AM
I thought we needed something like this so here it goes. These are Raceland Coilovers, but I'm sure any other brand will be extremely similar. Just FYI: this is my first DIY write-up for the forum.

I tried to take good pictures along the way, but it is easy to forget to grab the camera at times.

1. To begin, loosen the lug nuts. Jack the car up. Place jack stands in the proper places on both sides of the car. Take the wheel off.
http://i439.photobucket.com/albums/qq118/chaseerry/2.jpg

2. Before we forget lets loosen the two small bolts that hold a bracket to the strut. This bracket holds a brake hose and a wheel sensor cable. I’ve highlighted the bracket below.
Also, for the added room you can choose to remove the brake caliper at this point.
http://i439.photobucket.com/albums/qq118/chaseerry/as.png

3. Remove the cotter pin from the tie rod end and remove the nut. I forgot the size of the nut here.
http://i439.photobucket.com/albums/qq118/chaseerry/1.jpg

4. Next, remove the two large bolts that hold the strut to the knuckle. Once removed comes a tricky part in prying the tie rod end from the strut assembly.
I did this by using a hammer in the motion of the arrow in the picture. Luckily it popped out without harm. If you can’t get it that way then you will have to use “the fork” tool or a separator. I highly recommend replacing the tie rods while you are here, or having a pair on standby just in case you destroy the boot – which usually happens.
http://i439.photobucket.com/albums/qq118/chaseerry/new.png

5. After you have the tie rods separated from the strut assembly, loosen the three 14mm bolts under the hood.
http://i439.photobucket.com/albums/qq118/chaseerry/3.jpg

6. Once you loosen the top hat bolts the assembly may want to jump down. This is where a buddy will come in handy. It is best to have one person sitting down and holding the knuckle from losing the axle! Another person needs to wiggle the strut assembly out of there.
If you don’t have a friend to hold the knuckle in the axle then try and use some rope or twine to tie it up in the wheel well.
Also watch the axle boot! The strut assembly will jump down a tad, and before you know it the axle boot has a rip in it. You WILL be pissed. Happened to me last time at this point.

7. Now admire the old vs the new.
http://i439.photobucket.com/albums/qq118/chaseerry/5.jpg

8. Now you will remove the top hat from the old strut assembly. Do this by putting a 6mm allen wrench in the top of the hat with a wrench on the nut. I did not get a picture of this.
My springs did NOT shoot out or do anything crazy. If you want to be extra safe you can rent a spring compressor and use it at this point, but both times I’ve removed the suspension it was not needed.

9. You will reuse the top hat and bearings from the original struts. I went ahead and replaced my bearings with new since I knew the old were shot. For $13 a piece it is definitely worth it while you’ve got it out in front of you.
Below is a picture of the new bearing.
http://i439.photobucket.com/albums/qq118/chaseerry/7.jpg

10. Here is how the top of the new assembly goes together.
http://i439.photobucket.com/albums/qq118/chaseerry/6.jpg

11. Try and set the ride height BEFORE you put the assembly back on the car. It is much easier to do, and will save a ton of time. Trying to mess with the perches while on the car and under stress becomes a lot of work – even if you want to move it just a few threads down!

12. Put the new assembly in how you took it out. Once again – watch the axle and axle boot!
Here it is put in all nice and pretty.
http://i439.photobucket.com/albums/qq118/chaseerry/8.jpg

13. Now do the other side.

14. Next is the rears. Much easier in my opinion. I took the pictures after I had the new installed already.

15. Jack the rear of the car up and place the jack stands in the appropriate places. Remove the wheel.
http://i439.photobucket.com/albums/qq118/chaseerry/dd.jpg

16. Remove the 17mm flange bolt at the bottom of the assembly from the arm. It’s actually on the backside of the picture below. The nut you see in the picture does not move – it’s stationary.
http://i439.photobucket.com/albums/qq118/chaseerry/10.jpg

17. Open the hatch now. Remove the plastic bulkhead covers to reveal the tophat. Use a 14mm wrench to loosen the tophat nut. I left the two tophat flange nuts tightened only because one of them is extremely difficult to get to.
http://i439.photobucket.com/albums/qq118/chaseerry/11.jpg

18. Once the single tophat nut is removed you can now remove the strut completely.

19. I did not get a picture of the rear strut fully assembled, but you reuse everything from the original assembly. I have outlined the pieces you should stack on the new strut in red. The ‘damper mounting base’ and ‘rubber bushing’ should still be attached in the rear trunk. Remember, we did not take these out.
http://i439.photobucket.com/albums/qq118/chaseerry/Screenshot2010-04-26at125129AM.png

20. Now put the new strut assembly in it’s place. I found it easiest to get the large 17mm flange bolt in place first – then use a jack to raise the suspension through the tophat hole. Once it’s high enough through the hole start tightening down that tophat nut.
If it starts spinning use a 8mm wrench to hold it in place along the grooves provided. Here’s a closer picture of what I’m talking about.
http://i439.photobucket.com/albums/qq118/chaseerry/MyFile1.jpg

21. Make sure everything is tight now.
http://i439.photobucket.com/albums/qq118/chaseerry/9.jpg

22. Now do the other side.

23. Make sure all bolts are tight.
Put the wheels back on. Jack it up and remove the jackstands and then put it down.

24. Tighten up all lug nuts and GET IT ALIGNED IMMEDIATELY!

slate13530
04-26-2010, 10:35 AM
Nice work!

[ep3]tom
04-26-2010, 12:00 PM
when you say set the ride height befor install .... how do you know how many inches ? are there markings ? im only asking because im buy mine nexk week

CHASEEE
04-26-2010, 12:24 PM
tom;745489']when you say set the ride height befor install .... how do you know how many inches ? are there markings ? im only asking because im buy mine nexk week

That's a good question. No markings on the Raceland Coilovers - just a lot of threads! I remember my rears are right at 2" from the bottom of the locking perch to the last thread. I don't remember what I set my fronts to, but it was less than 2" I believe.

MugenReplica
04-26-2010, 02:30 PM
I'm very impressed by your DIY thread! Very comprehensive, and an awesome amount of pictures detailing every little step. I can't wait to see your next DIY thread!! If your next DIY thread is as good as this, I'm paying for your Sponsored member status. Quote me on that!:msmile:

Nate13
04-26-2010, 03:00 PM
how are those Racelands riding? is the feel stiff or closer to stock feel? what spring rates did you get?

yanniel05
04-26-2010, 03:41 PM
cant wait for these!! great write up!!!

N/a
04-26-2010, 03:45 PM
good job son!

yanniel05
04-26-2010, 04:15 PM
That's a good question. No markings on the Raceland Coilovers - just a lot of threads! I remember my rears are right at 2" from the bottom of the locking perch to the last thread. I don't remember what I set my fronts to, but it was less than 2" I believe.

yeah any one have any recomendations as of what would be a good measurement on adjustng the level on the treads yet? as a more or less this much inches will equal = 1.5" drop? i dunno or i'm just thnking it would be good info? right?

CHASEEE
04-26-2010, 07:08 PM
I'm very impressed by your DIY thread! Very comprehensive, and an awesome amount of pictures detailing every little step. I can't wait to see your next DIY thread!! If your next DIY thread is as good as this, I'm paying for your Sponsored member status. Quote me on that!:msmile:

I'm holding you to that! :mwink:

how are those Racelands riding? is the feel stiff or closer to stock feel? what spring rates did you get?

They feel very close to stock. A tad stiffer when hitting bumps, but overall a fantastic ride thus far.
Spring rates are: Front 310 / Rear 417.

2004ep3hatch
04-26-2010, 07:15 PM
CHASEEE

hey man I pmed you, did you get it? I hope my pm box is working.

CHASEEE
04-26-2010, 07:23 PM
CHASEEE

hey man I pmed you, did you get it? I hope my pm box is working.

Yeah, I just PMed you back.

charles
04-27-2010, 01:22 AM
great write up, it makes the install seem less daunting for people wondering about suspension installs. You should add something about supporting the axles while doing the front, because if they pop out it's a bitch to put back in.

dayronvip
04-27-2010, 11:24 AM
where did u buy those coilovers? cuz i trying to get ones

yanniel05
04-27-2010, 03:04 PM
where did u buy those coilovers? cuz i trying to get ones

oye mi hermano! lol you can get them at racelandus.com...

.colin
04-27-2010, 04:04 PM
nice write up!

ep-unit
05-05-2010, 08:40 PM
great write up....!!!!

jerrymouas
05-22-2010, 06:17 PM
so i was reading your write up i see what your saying about prying the tie rod end from the strut assembly but when i went to take me off it just don't want to come out, i hummer it out (beat to hell out of it) and still wont come out. any one know another helpful way to prying the tie rod end off the strut assembly. thx guy

CHASEEE
05-23-2010, 12:09 PM
so i was reading your write up i see what your saying about prying the tie rod end from the strut assembly but when i went to take me off it just don't want to come out, i hummer it out (beat to hell out of it) and still wont come out. any one know another helpful way to prying the tie rod end off the strut assembly. thx guy

If it doesn't want to come out the only viable way is to use a pickle fork. It WILL tear up the tie rod so go ahead and get new ones before you do the install.

MugenReplica
08-12-2010, 02:24 PM

Still waiting on that next DIY. Sponsored status is waiting!

jed_averill
08-15-2010, 02:32 PM
If I plan on doing this, I'd need someone who knows how to do this to supervise me :D

MugenReplica
08-15-2010, 02:53 PM
If I plan on doing this, I'd need someone who knows how to do this to supervise me :D

Buy me a plane ticket? :msmile: I promise I'll bring a case of free wine with me.:mtongue:

jed_averill
08-15-2010, 02:55 PM
Oh fo sho once when I get my raceland coilovers, maybe in like 3 years :D jk

ivtec3o3
08-15-2010, 04:09 PM
Any good sites to buy the tie rods from?

ep3[:
08-18-2010, 06:31 PM
hey i recently install my coils and i was just wondering where you get the bearings that goes with the top hat. the reason is because my sprim make a whooleee lotta noise without it and its verryyy irritating :[
i tried pepboys and they don't know what i was talking abt :[

Anrasmor
08-18-2010, 07:49 PM
hey i recently install my coils and i was just wondering where you get the bearings that goes with the top hat. the reason is because my sprim make a whooleee lotta noise without it and its verryyy irritating :[
i tried pepboys and they don't know what i was talking abt :[

O'Reillys and Autozone sell them. I already checked to be sure. So I would imagine just about any auto parts store will have them.

ep3[:
08-19-2010, 02:33 AM
no i meant what is the parts called?
because i went in and ask if they have the bearings for the top mount strut and they don't have it :[
they don't even know what it is...
sorry if i'm a noob :[

MBaG
10-14-2010, 11:15 PM
i'm having problems trying to pry the tie rod end from the strut assembly. any advice? i cannot get it apart. should i just rip it off?

Goose
10-15-2010, 01:58 PM
this is a great write up. good job man.. im gettin coilovers next week so im def gonna be on this

MBaG
10-15-2010, 05:06 PM
i'm having problems trying to pry the tie rod end from the strut assembly. any advice? i cannot get it apart. should i just rip it off?

i'm using a pickle fork, yet it still does not want to come off.

MBaG
10-15-2010, 05:43 PM
bump for help?

thejdm
10-17-2010, 03:25 PM
im doing mine right now and my tie rod boot is torn is this a big deal? also did you get another piece above the spacer? and my tie rod will still not separate from the strut!

MBaG
10-17-2010, 05:48 PM
im doing mine right now and my tie rod boot is torn is this a big deal? also did you get another piece above the spacer? and my tie rod will still not separate from the strut!

honda sells the boot for less than $4. but it requires a special tool to put on.
as for the tie rod, just use a pickle fork and hammer away! it'll pop off. just don't be scared.

thejdm
10-18-2010, 07:11 PM
so i just finished my fronts and i took it for a short drive around the block and noticed it was very bouncy (expected) but there was this weird howling noise coming from what i thought was the top of the strut any answers?

thejdm
10-18-2010, 08:09 PM
so i just finished my fronts and i took it for a short drive around the block and noticed it was very bouncy (expected) but there was this weird howling noise coming from what i thought was the top of the strut any answers?

solved the howling lol to low, i was rubbing, but righ now my steering feels really light and almst airy it definetly wasn't like this before.

MBaG
10-18-2010, 08:52 PM
solved the howling lol to low, i was rubbing, but righ now my steering feels really light and almst airy it definetly wasn't like this before.

maybe you just need an alignment. & make sure you torque everything properly.

thejdm
10-20-2010, 01:04 PM
maybe you just need an alignment. & make sure you torque everything properly.

gettin aligned in tonight!

didn't get it aligned :(

MBaG
10-20-2010, 10:13 PM
gettin aligned in tonight!

didn't get it aligned :(

awh haha. well, after i put my coilovers on, my toe was SLAMMED. the steering was very unusual.. but once i got aligned, everything was good to go!

thejdm
10-21-2010, 03:46 PM
awh haha. well, after i put my coilovers on, my toe was SLAMMED. the steering was very unusual.. but once i got aligned, everything was good to go!

still haven't gotten it aligned but its howling till is this from alignment? still can't get the lower rear bolt off:mfrown:

MBaG
10-21-2010, 03:54 PM
still haven't gotten it aligned but its howling till is this from alignment? still can't get the lower rear bolt off:mfrown:

the lower rear bolt? WD-40 it, & use a breaker bar. i used my lug nut key as a tiny breaker bar, and it gave me enough leverage & torque power.

EDIT: i don't recommend using a lug nut key as a breaker bar, but it was the closest thing that was usable.

slate13530
10-22-2010, 09:45 AM

As for the howling its due to the alignment being off.

As for the rear lower bolt if it seized which it probably is you will need a lot of leverage to get it off. Just buy a new bolt from Honda and cut off the existing ones.

thejdm
10-22-2010, 04:33 PM
alright thanks

epSleepy
10-23-2010, 01:36 PM
i'm using a pickle fork, yet it still does not want to come off.
Try applying as much pressure as possible with the fork... while it's locked in place tap it with a hammer... tapping should be all you need. The combination of the vibration force and the pressure from the fork will bust it loose... trust me it's doable WITHOUT ripping the boot.

epSleepy
10-23-2010, 01:41 PM
Hey the question about the settings still stands with no reply. Can anyone give us some sort of measurement from the bottom thread to the "ring" for a 1.5' drop... just for a baseline at least sincei t's easier to adjust when the car is up. I'd hate to not do any adjust ment and then find out i have to raise it a full 2 inches just to get it from rubbing.

MBaG
10-23-2010, 04:13 PM
Hey the question about the settings still stands with no reply. Can anyone give us some sort of measurement from the bottom thread to the "ring" for a 1.5' drop... just for a baseline at least sincei t's easier to adjust when the car is up. I'd hate to not do any adjust ment and then find out i have to raise it a full 2 inches just to get it from rubbing.

uhm. for the fronts, there's 13 threads left that i could go down & i'm about a small 1-finger gap with 17 inch rims.
i did not count the rears, sorry.

btw, the pickle fork worked. i was just scared to keep hammering.

thejdm
10-26-2010, 07:09 PM
so i still cannot get the back bolts out.

MBaG
10-26-2010, 09:13 PM
so i still cannot get the back bolts out.

are you using a breaker bar? ..

thejdm
10-27-2010, 09:12 PM
are you using a breaker bar? ..

yes should i saw it off now? does autozone have the bolts or honda dealer....

cjohnst
11-09-2010, 07:11 AM
I just put my coilovers on (the front not rear) I didn't use a torque wrench, I just tightened it up real nice.

Does anyone have the torque specs for the front bolts? Or maybe just a recommended amount?

McTaggart34
11-09-2010, 02:04 PM
I just put my coilovers on (the front not rear) I didn't use a torque wrench, I just tightened it up real nice.

Does anyone have the torque specs for the front bolts? Or maybe just a recommended amount?

The exact torque spes for the Strut upper mounting nuts are 33ft-lbs

-McTaggart

cjohnst
11-09-2010, 02:38 PM
Thanks a lot man, I'll go crank down on them and see where I am.

cjohnst
11-09-2010, 02:40 PM
The exact torque spes for the Strut upper mounting nuts are 33ft-lbs

-McTaggart thanks a lot man, i'll crank down on them and see where I am ..

Any tips on getting tie rod back down in the hole? And tightening even though it spins like crazy?

epSleepy
11-10-2010, 01:13 PM
k not to sound stupid but wtf is up with these nuts (the ones at the top that attach the moutn to the strut)... no allen key hole to tighten them with like the stockies. Then it seems the nut only goes down as far as flush with the end of the bolt at the top of the threads like in the photo illustrating the spacer bearing and mount. I'm really not understanding what's up with all the extra threads and how to tighten it down cuz i have no way to keep the shock from spinning.... help please. Or is there supposed to be all that extra thread ? All i know is there is like an inch between the bottom of the nut and the top of the mount and i can't tighten it down ... wtf

thejdm
11-10-2010, 03:12 PM
k not to sound stupid but wtf is up with these nuts (the ones at the top that attach the moutn to the strut)... no allen key hole to tighten them with like the stockies. Then it seems the nut only goes down as far as flush with the end of the bolt at the top of the threads like in the photo illustrating the spacer bearing and mount. I'm really not understanding what's up with all the extra threads and how to tighten it down cuz i have no way to keep the shock from spinning.... help please. Or is there supposed to be all that extra thread ? All i know is there is like an inch between the bottom of the nut and the top of the mount and i can't tighten it down ... wtf

take your carr off the jack

MBaG
11-10-2010, 03:36 PM

vice grips will keep it from spinning. or use an impact gun if you're a G [which i do not recommend].

epSleepy
11-10-2010, 05:51 PM
take your carr off the jack

Car isn't on jack...strut aren't on the car yet I was assembling it when I ran into this

MBaG
11-10-2010, 06:40 PM
Car isn't on jack...strut aren't on the car yet I was assembling it when I ran into this

i tightened them after i put it on the car. if they still spin, use vice grips to prevent that.

em2racer
11-12-2010, 11:00 PM
i installed mine and took it for a drive and when i turn theres a popping noise, it sounds like it is coming from the springs. any suggestions? I guess should also let ya'll know i forgot to put the bearing on, could that be the problem? Also which spacer should i use I have a 2003.

MBaG
11-13-2010, 02:58 AM
i installed mine and took it for a drive and when i turn theres a popping noise, it sounds like it is coming from the springs. any suggestions? I guess should also let ya'll know i forgot to put the bearing on, could that be the problem? Also which spacer should i use I have a 2003.

you didn't put the bearing on? maybe that's causing the spring to be insecure. which coilovers do you have?

em2racer
11-13-2010, 06:36 AM
i have Rokkor coilovers, which is the same as Racelands.

gamma6
12-02-2010, 11:10 AM
i have Rokkor coilovers, which is the same as Racelands.

i need help, i installed my rokkors and my alignment shop said that my tie rod ends had some play in them so they couldnt align it. It was hard to put the tie rod back in and i just put the bolt on just enough to put the cottor pin back in, but apperently it wasn't enough it sits a bit high right now and i can't put it in much deeper, any suggestions on how to get that sucker in all the way?

gamma6
12-06-2010, 11:26 AM
Did the tie rod ends just slip in or r they hard to get in like mine?

MBaG
12-06-2010, 11:54 AM
Did the tie rod ends just slip in or r they hard to get in like mine?

i put mine up just enough to put the cotter poin back in. & my alignment shop didn't have a problem with anything.

except for the fact that the toe was really slammed, but they handled that with ease.

gamma6
12-06-2010, 12:39 PM
i put mine up just enough to put the cotter poin back in. & my alignment shop didn't have a problem with anything.

except for the fact that the toe was really slammed, but they handled that with ease.

was it hard to put it in like it was for me? im also hearing some noise and it only appeared after the install of the coils kinda sounds like the wheel bearings r going out but idk, the alignment tech shook my tire and pointed to my tie rod and explained to me as if i had changed them out but i never took them out

hondaallday
12-08-2010, 12:03 AM

i got the same problem and i put the bearings in any ideas on what it could be

Behemoth
01-16-2011, 09:43 PM
Is there a DIY for taking out the end tie rods?? I'm having problems unscrewing the tie rod to take off the old ones. :/

MBaG
01-16-2011, 11:33 PM
Is there a DIY for taking out the end tie rods?? I'm having problems unscrewing the tie rod to take off the old ones. :/

are you using the picklefork tool to break it loose?

dirtyMETHOD
01-17-2011, 07:25 AM
Nice, gonna do mine in the spring.

Behemoth
01-17-2011, 09:22 AM
are you using the picklefork tool to break it loose?

I got it. I feel stupid. Cousin unscrewed it on his first try. x[

Behemoth
01-17-2011, 08:33 PM
was it hard to put it in like it was for me? im also hearing some noise and it only appeared after the install of the coils kinda sounds like the wheel bearings r going out but idk, the alignment tech shook my tire and pointed to my tie rod and explained to me as if i had changed them out but i never took them out

I bought tie rods from Pep Boys, and the cotter pin was a bitch. The castle nut had to be screwed in so damn much, and the treads on the tie rods are shorter... Idk. weird shit. Mines are installed now. :D!

G-MaC!
04-18-2011, 12:34 PM
Did anyone else get two front spring seats included? It came with a paper that says one is for before August 2003, and the other is for after September 2004. Both are metal. I'm still unsure of which one I am supposed to use. Any thoughts?

ep3jd
04-18-2011, 12:38 PM
If you're taking about the racelands/rokkor coilovers then yes, it depends on the year of your ep3. 02-03 and 04-05 are different. So use the one that applies to your vehicle's year.

xep3tuner
04-19-2011, 07:46 PM
i did my fronts still cant do my back, the rear bolt holding the strut to the control arm is not wanting to budge idk what to do lol i'm problably going to have to cut the bolt on both sides leaving it seized in the strut then just try to knock it out once i get the strut lose.

arejaygsx
04-19-2011, 10:47 PM
For people that have racelands/rokkor coilovers how do u like them so far? I know they are a budget coilover and Im not going to be tracking the car its my daily driver. I have stock struts on tein springs. Im hoping they will ride better.

MBaG
04-20-2011, 12:10 AM
For people that have racelands/rokkor coilovers how do u like them so far? I know they are a budget coilover and Im not going to be tracking the car its my daily driver. I have stock struts on tein springs. Im hoping they will ride better.

i'm on racelands, and they ride pretty good. i took my car up to the canyons and they ride pretty smooth. they arent all over the place.. but then again, i've never had a $1k+ suspension on my car. i bought them awhile back before they jacked up the price, so it was a no brainer for me to get them temporarily.

ep3jd
04-20-2011, 05:28 AM
i did my fronts still cant do my back, the rear bolt holding the strut to the control arm is not wanting to budge idk what to do lol i'm problably going to have to cut the bolt on both sides leaving it seized in the strut then just try to knock it out once i get the strut lose.

Don't do that.

Let it soak in pb blaster and if that's not doing it give it some heat. A torch is your best friend when it comes to frozen bolts.

MBaG
04-20-2011, 08:18 AM
Don't do that.

Let it soak in pb blaster and if that's not doing it give it some heat. A torch is your best friend when it comes to frozen bolts.

+
Try using something as a breaker bar. I remember I used my lug nut key to give it a little extra torque.

xep3tuner
04-20-2011, 11:29 AM
i used a breaker bar and even tried to push it with my foot nothing.. that mofo is stuck in there

G-MaC!
04-25-2011, 09:01 PM

I'm having the same problem man. We've tried WD40, an impact gun, breaker bar, hammer, chisel, deep creep, and a torch. Efffff. I'm thinking our only option now is to cut it out. Which is going to be alot of work.

ep3jd
04-26-2011, 05:06 AM
Don't cut it. Bring it to a shop if you can't seem to do it alone dude

D'sEp3
05-11-2011, 07:13 PM
very helpfull

G-MaC!
05-24-2011, 11:58 AM
Don't cut it. Bring it to a shop if you can't seem to do it alone dude

Yeah, I ended up dropping it off at a shop haha. Too much of a headache for me.

YohL
09-27-2011, 03:11 PM
So how do you exactly tighten the top nut since it's not the open ended one like the stock strut? I can't seem to get the "locking nut" any lower since the shaft will just spin...I found it loose after driving couple miles. Thanks

YohL
09-27-2011, 06:44 PM
never mind I figured out how to lock it in place

hyu
09-27-2011, 06:50 PM
Not sure if mentioned but two alignments would def be needed/recommended... One for the initial installation and after when the car/springs settle.

SmoothEPs
10-08-2011, 06:16 PM
I've gone through the three pages on this thread and still cannot find an answer. How do you determine the height (lower) prior to installing the coilovers?

PatrickJamesYu
10-08-2011, 07:30 PM
I've gone through the three pages on this thread and still cannot find an answer. How do you determine the height (lower) prior to installing the coilovers?

It would have to be through logic.
It depends are coilover build length/ height
spring rate
spring length
and whatever other factors.
You can do the math, but in general
Install it, than adjust it.

McTaggart34
10-11-2011, 12:09 PM

What coilovers do you have ?

whatsvtec
03-17-2012, 06:52 AM
BUMP! I need help on step #16, can anyone help? I've got the bolts loose, they're spinning freely. But they won't come out, what's the best way to get them out?

SkareKrow
03-17-2012, 03:23 PM
BUMP! I need help on step #16, can anyone help? I've got the bolts loose, they're spinning freely. But they won't come out, what's the best way to get them out?

Rear trailing arm?
Stick a philips screwdriver through the bolt and hit it with a hammer.

Sent from my PC36100 using Xparent Red Tapatalk

whatsvtec
03-17-2012, 04:23 PM
Thanks Skarekrow! :thumbu:
Used an air hammer with a flat bit on the one that was stuck bad, other one we got out just with a pry bar :msmile:

Now I'm stuck on the fronts, one side is in. But the other side tie-rod end is stuck to the nut, keeps spinning freely. I'm about ready to cut and replace the tie rod end... Any pointers?

SkareKrow
03-17-2012, 05:49 PM
Thanks Skarekrow! :thumbu:
Used an air hammer with a flat bit on the one that was stuck bad, other one we got out just with a pry bar :msmile:

Now I'm stuck on the fronts, one side is in. But the other side tie-rod end is stuck to the nut, keeps spinning freely. I'm about ready to cut and replace the tie rod end... Any pointers?

Vice grip the ball joint with the arm. Hit with a rubber mallet/ hammer on the side of the arm that holds the tie Rod end. Anything else call me I'm driving from Mexicali to Riverside lol

Ez.R
03-25-2012, 12:37 PM
quick question for who-ever might know.. i got buddy club n+ damper kit and the rear coilovers where the flange bolt goes through to hold the shock in place is offset from the middle of the shock/coilover. is this normal??? will this cause any type of problems?

take a look at the photo below.

http://s1073.photobucket.com/albums/w388/erisola/?action=view&current=varify.jpg

SkareKrow
03-25-2012, 12:51 PM
quick question for who-ever might know.. i got buddy club n+ damper kit and the rear coilovers where the flange bolt goes through to hold the shock in place is offset from the middle of the shock/coilover. is this normal??? will this cause any type of problems?

take a look at the photo below.

http://s1073.photobucket.com/albums/w388/erisola/?action=view&current=varify.jpg

Cant see image please link it directly. Thanks.

whatsvtec
03-25-2012, 04:43 PM
Looks like it was intentional as part of Buddy Club's design. Shouldn't cause any problems, might perform better for whatever reason BC intended.

Ez.R
03-25-2012, 08:23 PM
Cant see image please link it directly. Thanks.

Ez.R
03-25-2012, 08:28 PM
Looks like it was intentional as part of Buddy Club's design. Shouldn't cause any problems, might perform better for whatever reason BC intended.

yah thats what i figured, just threw me off cuz it took a little bit of work to get it in place..
-appreciate the input

whatsvtec
03-26-2012, 02:32 PM
How did the coilover install go? Everything torqued up and feel solid?

Ez.R
03-26-2012, 02:35 PM
perfect..just got her aligned today. rides like a beauty.

SkareKrow
03-26-2012, 03:09 PM

Magnificent! Where did you go get it aligned...

h.pham
07-18-2012, 07:15 PM

Hey how was the install for your buddyclub N+'s? I'm planning on getting them soon and this is going to be my first big upgrade that I am considering on doing myself. I just want to be sure that its not TOO difficult. Haha.

xx_civic_si_xx
08-13-2012, 11:05 PM
hey just had a quick question on this cuz i started my coilover install yest and i cant seem to get the rear bolts out on the top hat..any tips?

black05ep
08-14-2012, 01:50 PM
hey just had a quick question on this cuz i started my coilover install yest and i cant seem to get the rear bolts out on the top hat..any tips?

Impact wrench or a combination wrench and allen wrench for it.

black05ep
08-24-2012, 05:20 PM
Fuck me. So i got the driver side done but i cohldnt get the lower arm bolt on the pass side out. And witb the driver side. Im not quite sure if i have it together correctly. Can someone please post a picture of the rear coilover put together with the top hat on.

danito321
09-28-2012, 06:04 PM
My shocks are blown and the springs so old that my friends asked how low am I dropped. I need to replace all my shocks and springs and decided this is the least expensive route. Just dd'ing my car. I think it should hold. We'll see... What do you guys think?

LouisianaEP3
03-27-2013, 09:51 AM
Should both sets of tie rods be replaced when installing aftermarket coil overs, inner and outer?

LudeMutt
03-28-2013, 10:13 AM
I didn't replace my tie rods after I installed my K-Sport coilovers but I did flip the upper tie rod ends.

LudeMutt
03-28-2013, 10:14 AM
If any of the pillows are blown then take advantage of the opportunity to replace them.

LouisianaEP3
03-28-2013, 12:04 PM
After a little bit of research I just went ahead and bought some new ones along with new hex nuts and cotter pins. Still trying to decide if I should replace the bearings in the strut mounts.

b.hog
05-04-2013, 06:39 AM
I installed these yesterday without much issue.This came in handy,thanks alot.

cant catch me
05-07-2013, 08:32 PM
I'm having the same problem man. We've tried WD40, an impact gun, breaker bar, hammer, chisel, deep creep, and a torch. Efffff. I'm thinking our only option now is to cut it out. Which is going to be alot of work.

let it soak in PB blaster, or wd 40. if its still being stubborn heat the assembly surrounding the bolt with a torch and tap it with a hammer at the same time. this will make the assembly surrounding the bolt expand and hitting it with a hammer will help break loose any rust. this will also work if some shmuck decided to use locktite on your suspension hardware. Patience my friend, its a bitch sometimes but its better than stripping or snaping anything.

fugazzyek
11-27-2013, 04:11 PM
hi dude

if the raceland have lower fitment of the tie rod end, how do you do with the clucking of the steering rack by the position of the inners tie rods?