PDA

View Full Version : What speed do you cruise for long distance?

ttttrigg3r
04-26-2010, 05:18 PM
What's the best speed or the one you use to cruise on the freeway to get the most out of gas? 70? Also is a hood bra worth it's value in protecting the bumper against rocks and what not?

shortstop
04-26-2010, 05:29 PM
I cruise at 75-80 on i-80 but no matter what my mileage is about the same. I don't know for sure on the hood bra but my front end has taken a toll. I have heard of them fading paint before (not personally seen)

Kellys_Ep3
05-01-2010, 09:44 AM
What's the best speed or the one you use to cruise on the freeway to get the most out of gas? 70? Also is a hood bra worth it's value in protecting the bumper against rocks and what not?

i think they look good, but i had one on my del sol like 3 years back and i kept the bra and paint super clean and it still managed to scratch the shit out of my hood, so i personally wasnt very fond of the hood bra

cronicEP
05-01-2010, 10:02 AM
65-70 MPH for me...32 MPG...

hondaguy92129
05-01-2010, 11:29 AM
generally cruise between 65 and 80mph. Short trips I might drive a little faster and enjoy myself but on longer trips (drives to Bay area and stuff) I try and conserve gas so usually going about 60-65.

FWIW my mom's odyssey (the designated road trip car) has a bra that we put on before long drives and it seems to work well. 30+ trips to LA, over a dozen trips to SF and even a few drives out to Phoenix and there is minor chipping from rocks and stuff. Be warned though, make sure the hood and inside of the bra are CLEAN because the bra shifts around and any dirt in there will leave scratches all over the front of the car. I'd rather have some small scratches than chips in the paint though...

scorpionsf
05-01-2010, 11:32 AM
had an hour long trip yesterday. cruised at 78 for 95% of it, and 70 for the other 5%. slightly over 32mpg

RHCP0801
05-01-2010, 01:32 PM
68 mph cruise control

vboy127
05-01-2010, 02:05 PM
I cruise the speed limit where ever it is. If the limit is 65, I go 65. If it's 75, I go 75. haha

I have a 3m invisible bra on my hood and headlights. Works awsome!

Squidward
05-01-2010, 02:29 PM
had an hour long trip yesterday. cruised at 78 for 95% of it, and 70 for the other 5%. slightly over 32mpg

SERIOUSLY?!?! Damn, I've been getting about 25mph! Of course it is pretty much in town driving, and I might be driving like Ken Block...

My experience says nose bras are not worth the hassle. If my front end wasn't already chipped up I'd go the 3M Clearbra route.

shortstop
05-01-2010, 08:30 PM
SERIOUSLY?!?! Damn, I've been getting about 25mph! Of course it is pretty much in town driving, and I might be driving like Ken Block...

My experience says nose bras are not worth the hassle. If my front end wasn't already chipped up I'd go the 3M Clearbra route.

25mpg? I don't see how or I'm just lucky. I do some pulls, on/off ramp acceleration, or some fun in the open road (all these not in traffic and I'm the only retard on the road) and I just got 31.5 when I filled up today.

vboy127
05-01-2010, 10:34 PM
25mpg? I don't see how or I'm just lucky. I do some pulls, on/off ramp acceleration, or some fun in the open road (all these not in traffic and I'm the only retard on the road) and I just got 31.5 when I filled up today.

It's not just the car and the way you drive. The pumps can also be a huge factor in mileage ratings. Thats why you can't just narrow your car's overall mileage based on one fill up. You need multiple fill-ups averaging out to base your mileage. For instance, I can drive the exact same route, same driving habit, same everything and still get different MPGs for the two, all because I fill at two different gas stations or heck even the same gas station. From my experience with mileage tracking the most important thing I have to say I've learned is that the pumps at gas stations are HIGHLY inconsistent at stopping at the "full" point. Like recently I got 43 mpg, but the previous time I got 28. This is because the first fill up overfilled, beyond the full point and it didn't click off till later. Thus, from what the pump tells me is that I used x amounts of fuel for y amount of miles. What I might not know (if I was inexperienced) is that the pump overfilled. Once it's over filled I can drive for further distances. By the time I fill up again, the pump I use this time fills up closer to the full point. And since I drove further due to the previous overfill, my MPG calculation at that fill-up will be sky high (ie. 43 mpg)

Hope that made some sense. I kinda just shake my head every time someone brags about their mpg at their last calculation saying "I got (add a very high #) mpgs!"

Keeping track of mpgs is all about averages.

Oh and shortstop, I was specifying towards you. Just everyone in general. haha

J Mo
05-01-2010, 10:47 PM
when i hit the highway/freeway, everyday i yearn more and more for a 6th gear to keep me below 4k rpms when cruising at 80mph..

Siborg18
05-01-2010, 10:50 PM
70-73 regardless of cops or 76-80 if I'm lookin out for the J. Edgards.... (Hoovers). Anything higher than 80 is Playtime :). Only speed on the freeway where there are no entrances(if u can)... this keeps you a little safer from cops and speeding tickets. I haven't got a speeding ticket yet, knock on wood... and I've done 90's and 100's whenever the mood is there and 110s, 120s, and 130s on a good day looking for an adrenaline rush.

ttttrigg3r
05-01-2010, 11:13 PM
It's not just the car and the way you drive. The pumps can also be a huge factor in mileage ratings. Thats why you can't just narrow your car's overall mileage based on one fill up. You need multiple fill-ups averaging out to base your mileage. For instance, I can drive the exact same route, same driving habit, same everything and still get different MPGs for the two, all because I fill at two different gas stations or heck even the same gas station. From my experience with mileage tracking the most important thing I have to say I've learned is that the pumps at gas stations are HIGHLY inconsistent at stopping at the "full" point. Like recently I got 43 mpg, but the previous time I got 28. This is because the first fill up overfilled, beyond the full point and it didn't click off till later. Thus, from what the pump tells me is that I used x amounts of fuel for y amount of miles. What I might not know (if I was inexperienced) is that the pump overfilled. Once it's over filled I can drive for further distances. By the time I fill up again, the pump I use this time fills up closer to the full point. And since I drove further due to the previous overfill, my MPG calculation at that fill-up will be sky high (ie. 43 mpg)

Hope that made some sense. I kinda just shake my head every time someone brags about their mpg at their last calculation saying "I got (add a very high #) mpgs!"

Keeping track of mpgs is all about averages.

Oh and shortstop, I was specifying towards you. Just everyone in general. haha

Yeah that made a lot of sense. Maybe I'll try out Fuelly

MBaG
05-02-2010, 11:41 AM
time is money, so might as well drive as fast as you can! jk.

jay702
05-02-2010, 03:54 PM
I drove from Las Vegas to NorCal last week. I averaged 75 on the highway, about 1100 miles round trip, I got about 26.8 miles per gallon. A/C was on for about half the trip.

emersc63
05-02-2010, 05:44 PM
i can do about 75 for about 200 miles and get around 30-32 mpgs

Passenger
05-02-2010, 07:31 PM
I drive 80 miles (round trip) to my school a day, 3 days a week. so usually on the highway I go 75 and 65 down the back road. I'll get good gas mileage if there isn't bumper-to-bumper traffic. but I still go thru a tank in a week including trips to the store, church, etc.

CHASEEE
05-02-2010, 08:58 PM
65-70 Monday through Friday. I always average around 29 mpg.