PDA

View Full Version : Wrapping you car!!!!!

EP3_U_SEE
04-26-2010, 05:19 PM
Check out this guy! I'm thinking about doing this, but scared it going to take too much time.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=376442

Twisted-X
04-26-2010, 05:44 PM
That's pretty cool, but isn't there a bunch of adhesive left on the paint after you remove the vinyl?

RedSiBaron
04-26-2010, 06:09 PM
saw this on autoblog or jalopnik today, cant remember which...

i love vinyl wrap, its the future...

i dont remember what the residue is like but im sure there is an easy paint safe solution...

and to the OP...it will take time, but it will take a hell of a lot less time than a paint job...if there were pre cut pieces it would probably only take you 3 hrs...the way i look at it you pretty much lay up the vinyl, cut it on the outside of all the door cuts, etc then push them into the partlines...to me its something id imagine only taking a day or something...its atleast cheap as hell

PartyPooper
04-26-2010, 06:20 PM
it looks cool... i would do it if i was planing on painting my car to try out the color before i do it...i know alot of people who get sick of the color they just painted thier car... either way if i had the time i would prbably do it...

K20wagon
04-26-2010, 06:38 PM
Wow thats pretty cool. I wouldnt mind doing that but I would want to know what it would be like when it comes off. This would take less time than actually painting the car but it would take alot of patience and precise cutting.

MadLorEP3
04-27-2010, 02:29 AM
that looks cool

mp_02si
04-27-2010, 05:28 AM
But did you read how long the vinyl lasts? The kind he used only lasts 4 years. That will fly by quicker than you know. Im interested to see wat the car would look like even 2 years from now. Im not so big on vinyl but of course i work in the paint industry and sale paint that will outlast the motor in your car so I am a little biased lol. I gotta say though that in the long run if you didnt mind doing the work every few years that the vinyl would be cheaper. You have to figure a good paint job materials and all will cost you at least $2000. That is for a good paint job with good materials from a reputable shop. Depending on wat color you want as well cause that changes the price. He spent $127 for basically about 4 years. You do the math ;)

talonXracer
04-27-2010, 08:52 AM
I like that! I may just try that in the matte black. It is just another paint protectant system....not a paint replcement(still need the paint underneath)

johnkimble
04-27-2010, 09:12 AM
sick! came out looking proper too.

there's a flat green 911 near me that until I saw it up close I thought was paint -- it was actually vinyl lol

Lucid Moments
04-27-2010, 11:04 AM
The other nice thing about this is that it would be much easier to fix than paint is. In particular for those of us that track our cars because the racetrack is a brutal place for paint. (and quarterpanels)

EP3Casas
04-27-2010, 11:19 AM
my buddy wrapped his hood in matte black. i wana do the center section of my hood, mugen grille, roof and mugen spoiler.

K20wagon
04-27-2010, 12:58 PM
Ya I would like to wrap my roof matte black.

johnkimble
04-27-2010, 02:01 PM
the roof would be very easy. probably the easiest piece of the car aside from the hood. only thing you have to worry about is the sun roof!

RedSiBaron
04-27-2010, 02:19 PM
the roof would be very easy. probably the easiest piece of the car aside from the hood. only thing you have to worry about is the sun roof!

slide the sunroof back, then cut the vinyl to the sunroof opening with enough to roll under the lip is how id do it

Heitzke
04-27-2010, 03:08 PM

That and the antenna base. I've always kind of wondered how that worked.

K20wagon
04-27-2010, 03:20 PM
Ah I think the antenna wouldnt be to bad though the sunroof could be a little tricky. Not to sure until you try it i guess.

talonXracer
04-27-2010, 03:59 PM
A woodgrain vinyl would be great on the rear quarter windows, make it look like an old delivery wagon! LOL

High speed delivery!

The vinyl allows you to do alot of whacky stuff just for the fun of it, and not break the bank!

Every panel a different color?

A great base for graffitti type spray job?

Squidward
04-27-2010, 04:01 PM
I work in a sign shop that does this kind of stuff. I've applied it, I've removed it. Taking it off is a BITCH! There absolutely will be adhesive left after the vinyl is peeled and there is no easy way to remove it. There are adhesive removers of varying effectiveness but even the best ones only turn the glue into blobs of sticky snot-like slime that still need to me manually scraped off. God help him if he got cheap vinyl.

My experience tells me that removing the vinyl from the BMW shown in the link and getting all adhesive off as well would take days. Even longer if you let the vinyl stay on there as long as he was planning. However, I expect he will remove it sooner as the vinyl does not hold up well to road debris (those rockers will be toast in two months of average driving), and once the vinyl get full of pinholes from rocks and sand it will peel off in tiny pieces - not in one easy sheet.

If you really want to do this, think short term for how long you want it to last and use removable vinyl. You will thank me when it comes time for peeling it off.

sifrk32
04-27-2010, 04:56 PM
However, I expect he will remove it sooner as the vinyl does not hold up well to road debris (those rockers will be toast in two months of average driving), and once the vinyl get full of pinholes from rocks and sand it will peel off in tiny pieces - not in one easy sheet.

If you really want to do this, think short term for how long you want it to last and use removable vinyl. You will thank me when it comes time for peeling it off.

This is exactly what I'm worried about! I am still seriously considering doing this if I can find the color vinyl I want.

I would assume though if the vinyl becomes that bad, to just peel off, sand down, and re-apply? Well I guess the goo would stick all over the sandpaper...hmm...

hkrayingboyz
04-27-2010, 05:06 PM
Anyone find where you can get cheap vinyl? I might interesting in doing interior instead of exterior. Can someone give me a link on cheap vinyl?

RedSiBaron
04-27-2010, 05:13 PM
do we still have a vendor? i thought we had decaldude who sold vinyl...in any case, hkrayingboyz, if you find a cheap vinyl supplier CAN YOU PLEASE LET ME KNOW, i need some for my senior thesis model for school

hkrayingboyz
04-27-2010, 05:14 PM
do we still have a vendor? i thought we had decaldude who sold vinyl...in any case, hkrayingboyz, if you find a cheap vinyl supplier CAN YOU PLEASE LET ME KNOW, i need some for my senior thesis model for school

no no no...... I meant if YOU find one, let me know. I try and dont seem to find any vendor that sell cheap.

Squidward
04-27-2010, 06:16 PM
I would assume though if the vinyl becomes that bad, to just peel off, sand down, and re-apply? Well I guess the goo would stick all over the sandpaper...hmm...
That's kinda right, but keep in mind peeling will take hours, removing the adhesive could take ten minutes or ten hours depending on your luck, and then the re-application.

BTW don't sand adhesive residue to remove it, use a liquid adhesive remover. A vinyl sign shop might sell you some good stuff ($35+ per gallon) or you could stock up on Goof Off or 3M Citrus Cleaner to get the job done. WD-40 doesn't cut it near as fast as the other stuff.

I'm actually not trying to talk you out of the wrap, I'm telling you to prepare for the worst and hope for the best.

Twisted-X
04-27-2010, 07:16 PM
That's kinda right, but keep in mind peeling will take hours, removing the adhesive could take ten minutes or ten hours depending on your luck, and then the re-application.

^ This is exactly what I thought.

Something I would worry about with putting vinyl on the roof is the vinyl what happens to the vinyl that is folded into the sun roof. When the sunroof opens and closes the rubber seal is pressed into the roof to try to keep some of the water out. I could see it cutting/tearing the vinyl folded in there.

jerseyjew
04-27-2010, 07:23 PM
Who the **** would do that to a brand new BMW? I will admit that it looks pretty cool and is unique, but I just don't have that sort of money to waste.

johnkimble
04-27-2010, 07:26 PM
not on an EP, but some good FAQ's and details about wrapping: http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/body/hrdp_0910_custom_vinyl_wrap/index.html

sifrk32
04-27-2010, 07:50 PM
^ nice link!

i just spent hours doing research on this stuff. as a protectant for the vinyl on the bumper & hood, what about clear paint protectant?
sample link: http://www.decalfx.com/paint_protection_film.html

Not too sure but I think i read somewhere this stuff can turn yellow-ish. It makes sense to me to lay down vinyl, and then lay this vinyl over top? Btw I'm still seriously considering this project if I can get this color again:
http://www.realimagedesigns.com/images/car8.jpg
my old car^^ w/ fresh sunburst orange paint

K-Series
04-27-2010, 09:21 PM
Just ordered some free samples from Oracal's site. I'll take a few pics when I get them in. Sounds like I found a solution for my EG.

Steve

Sucka
04-27-2010, 10:15 PM
Wrapping is old news. My friends dad been doing this for over 3 years now.

K-Series
04-28-2010, 06:25 AM
I also emailed a 3m supplier for their Di-Noc stuff. It's apparently WAY better for outdoor use, but of course, more money. (They also have a textured faux carbon fiber that's pretty sick looking.)

Steve

RedSiBaron
04-28-2010, 07:13 AM
Di-noc application is almost like applying window tint...you have to wet it first...we use it in the car design world for quick color mockups on clay models, just wet it, smooth it on...look at it, then pull it off without hurting the clay underneath

mp_02si
04-29-2010, 05:15 AM
Also to add to this for removing the vinyl residue and vinyl... 3m makes in spray cans woodgrain and vinyl remover and also the adhesive remover specifically for this. Just thought i would throw that out there. I had entertained the thought of going flat black on my hood, roof, and spoiler but am still undecided on how that would look with the glossy paint. If i do it though i will be painting it with a sems hot rod black kit that wont chalk up and will stay nice for a long time.

Kanzen Taichou
04-29-2010, 05:38 AM
That is a great solution for the fickle minded person. I know plenty of people who get sick of things quite quickly... that becomes expensive. So for those type of people $200 every few months would be cheap to them.

I wonder how well the vinyl holds up after the first year: wear-n-tear (rock chips), weathering (hail, winters)

Prracer
08-10-2010, 09:18 AM
my friend own a vinyl sign making shop... Theirs a whole bunch of things you have to look at before you try this...
#1 its not easy to apply vinyl the right way to a car
#2 you really have to make sure your using the right vinyl
#3 the longer the vinyl is on your car the harder it is to reamove( and yes it leave alot fo residue you need a special solution that softens the vinyl to get it off without damaging the paint)
#4 The solid vinyl lastup to 5 years without fading the printed ink vinyls last 2yrs
#5 you also have to look at where you live and the climate conditions extreme heat or cold also effects the vinyl...

skep18
08-10-2010, 10:27 AM
very cool! might give it a swing. my only peeve would be stuff like the off color engine bay and door jambs, but that usually comes with most cheaper paint jobs anyways.

ep3jd
08-16-2010, 06:06 PM
so does anyone know where to find some cheap vinyl? my buddy works at a sign shop but he was throwing some crazy numbers out at me

edit; i feel like it would be difficult/impossible to do intricate lips? am i wrong? im picturing trying to wrap a walker lip and in my head it doesnt seem like it would work. lol

02TWSI
08-16-2010, 07:43 PM
Phil AKA Fepster did his EP in a cf wrap by the guy in my sig...here's some pics from nisei

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h298/blackexcoupe/Nisei%202010/IMG_2613copy.jpg
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h298/blackexcoupe/Nisei%202010/IMG_2617copy.jpg

Looks amazing in person, and yeah its VERY hard to do the lips.

Jukka
08-17-2010, 06:34 AM
a buddy of mine wrapped his original mini from flat black to lime green with almost SS style stripes going over the hood and tailgate with ghost tire tracks through it, it looks nuts, but you wouldnt guess its vinyl. He paid something like $1500 for the entire car with a 5 year warrenty on the wrap.

jerrymouas
08-17-2010, 09:17 AM
so does anyone know where to find some cheap vinyl? my buddy works at a sign shop but he was throwing some crazy numbers out at me

edit; i feel like it would be difficult/impossible to do intricate lips? am i wrong? im picturing trying to wrap a walker lip and in my head it doesnt seem like it would work. lol

i think stickercity have some good price, try ---> www.stickercity.com/

ep3jd
08-26-2010, 08:19 PM
i think stickercity have some good price, try ---> www.stickercity.com/

grassy ass, senor!

username011
08-30-2010, 08:25 PM
Wrapping a daily driver is a bad idea, if you don't have the money to paint your car,.. I would just wait longer and save more. this stuff isnt made for daily road abuse.

4lugSLUG
09-01-2010, 06:58 PM
www.trackwraps.com

I've worked with this stuff many times. no residue on peel off and is very moldable. originally made for race bikes so it can take a beating. i have a pic of my center dash i did with the skull wrap. its actually hard to get a bubble in this stuff.

i'd love to see an ep in digidark or urban camo
-and/or-
a woody hood

Taken from:
http://www.trackwraps.com/about.htm

"The first wrap held up great - even lasting through two additional crashes later that season. The vinyl actually helped to hold the fiberglass bodywork together after it cracked and still looked pretty good when we finally pulled the busted stuff off."

"The material is the same type that they use to wrap NASCAR cars, vehicles and is rated to last 5-7 years outside. The 150+ mph speeds we see on the track can take their toll on the finish over time (especially for those of us that do dozens of track or race days per year), but the protective gloss coating on the wrap makes it less susceptible to chipping that paint."

zdiddy22
12-16-2010, 05:57 PM
definintly gonna go for wrapping the car this summer. thought i will give it a shot.

samaj
04-17-2011, 10:37 AM
Its great . Wrapped my A6 in Dec 2010. From white to red.
Gonna get my Ep3 Type-r wrapped in yellow next week.

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh134/samaj69/IMG_1110.jpg

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh134/samaj69/IMG_1118.jpg

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh134/samaj69/IMG_1101.jpg

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh134/samaj69/8-2.jpg

STP03BlueSI
04-17-2011, 06:06 PM
Think i am gonna wrap my Sun damaged CF hood.

ep32424
10-14-2012, 10:54 PM
the bmw looked really good.