PDA

View Full Version : Leaky spark tube?

superbraut
04-26-2010, 10:46 PM
Do i Has leaky spark tube :shrug:

So i was trying to jump start another car, and I made a very very dumb, noob, fml mistake. I accidentally switched the battery cables in the wrong way (+ to -) to my ep while it was running, but connected them correctly on the other car. I DIDNT try to start up the other car, thank god. I noticed the jumper cable started to heat up and smoke and thats when immediately removed them. Anyways im just asking to see if there could be any detrimental damage to my ep or the other car.

I checked the fuses, and theyre okay. all the electronics work: windows, mirros, sun roof, radio etc. Car starts up fine. Only thing is, one of the rear lights on the rear bumper is out.

Basically what im trying to find out is does the ep3 have a feature that protects against any surge of electricity from frying up the car's electronics and what problems could appear.

btw its an 05 ep3

talonXracer
04-27-2010, 05:05 AM
You could have damaged the battery, and probably did. Dont be surprised that it gives up the ghost alot sooner than expected. There is no protective equipment for a dead short like that.

What is a leaky spark tube????

superbraut
04-27-2010, 07:58 AM
oh the "leaky spack tube" was a funny joke from The Office involving a similar incident. As far as my ecu. injector solenoids, starter, alternator, etc, could those parts been possibly damaged?

talonXracer
04-27-2010, 08:56 AM
Probably not, usually it is only the battery, unless it is for several minutes with severe apparent battery damage, LOL

Chad
04-27-2010, 09:13 AM
Most electronic devices in a car have a reverse polarity diode, hopefully the battery took the brunt of it but if it did not... yes, youcould possibly nuke every electronic thing in your car.

In other words,if it works like it did and if the battery dies early.. you got lucky, go rub a rabbits foot, you are about out of reserve luck.

Civic5lug
04-27-2010, 02:40 PM
you'll be aight, you just made the first EP Toaster tho lol

4angrybadgers
04-28-2010, 06:18 AM
I've done that before when I tried to jump-start my EP off my mom's Highlander... don't know if it would have damaged my battery because it was already gasping out its last breaths. Fortunately it didn't fry any electronics and it didn't damage Mom's car. :meek:

superbraut
04-28-2010, 06:31 PM
thanks for the good new guys and girls. everything is working normally so far, i just replaced the side marker bulb. I realize im freakin lucky that i caught the problem really early or my car would've been done. thanks again guys, almost shat myself.