PDA

View Full Version : question with shift knob

bootang
04-27-2010, 03:15 PM
i want to change the shift knob, however ep3 has clip on thingy between orginal shift knob and shift cover, if I were to put on the new knob I won't be able to put the clip thingy on and shift cover won't stay still, is there any way to fix this? or all of you guys who changed the knob just drive it like that? let me know thank you. and I'm thinking nrg carbon fiber shift knob? what do you think?

RedSiBaron
04-27-2010, 03:30 PM
you have a few options actually...

1) the cheap free way, pull the center console lower section that the boot is attached to (remove knob, and simple as pushing your fingers into the boot base around the back of the console and you can pop the console out...) turn the cover over and look inside the boot, you will see 2 clips holding the shiny chrome bit on to a black piece on the underside of the boot...pop those clips out...next take the black piece off and put it on the outside and the chrome bit on the inside, this will allow the knob to fit better with the boot...No worries, there is a taper on the shift lever that will hold the boot up now!!

2) buy the aftermarket knob adapter from honda, it replaces the clip receptor with a chrome piece that sits on the taper and it also comes with a backup nut for the knob...dont know if this is still available from honda

3) buy the type r shift boot that is designed for a knob that does not clip into the boot...this boot will sit on the taper of the shift lever as well

if you are unhappy with how well the shift boot stays on the taper, you can put washers (metal or rubber) or electrical tape, at or around the taper to better hold the boot up...

I hope this helps you!!