PDA

View Full Version : intake manifold question..

fishboy
07-15-2002, 01:54 PM
is our intake manifold plastic or cast iron? i'm asking because i think that the 2001 civics come with a plastic one and one even blew up because of nitrous. i'm asking you guys to make sure.

JSIR
07-15-2002, 04:25 PM
the Si's get the aluminum manifold from the RSX-S, but the base RSX and other Civics use plastic manifolds. hth.

fishboy
07-16-2002, 10:31 AM
cool thanks.

Gibhunter
07-16-2002, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by JSIR
the Si's get the aluminum manifold from the RSX-S, but the base RSX and other Civics use plastic manifolds. hth.

Base RSX shares it's intake design with that of Integra GSR (not other civics:rolleyes: ) but has different flaps inside for smoother airflow. It's the only part that separates our engines on a dyno and gives us the extra 10 footpounds of torque (at the crank).

MadMax
07-16-2002, 03:50 PM
In all dynos ive seen, the base makes 134-135 hp and the Si makes 138-139 hp.

Anyone want to hazard a guess as to where this comes from?
-intake manifold?
-smaller wheels + tires?
-different muffler?
-ecu?

Gibhunter
07-16-2002, 07:54 PM
You do have a point. It would be nice to have the two cars with same mods on the same dyno in one day to see if there is a difference.

grooveline
07-16-2002, 08:39 PM
see. this dissapoints me. a plastic manifold?!? what the F%CK are trying to sell? oversized R/C cars?

MadMax
07-16-2002, 09:37 PM
What?! You think it will melt or something? You dont think someone at honda thought of that? Besides, its a fairly big manifold, if it were a cast aluminum it would weight a lot and be rough on the inside.

Gibhunter
07-17-2002, 04:06 AM
Originally posted by grooveline
see. this dissapoints me. a plastic manifold?!? what the F%CK are trying to sell? oversized R/C cars?

It's not your old regular plastic. It's a very hard compound. Still, no one complained about GSR's plastic intake manifolds.

02-sir
07-17-2002, 09:03 AM
not to mention the thermal benefits

fishboy
07-17-2002, 11:38 AM
so is it plastic or aluminum whatever on the 02 si? i am wondering because if i go nitrous i will go direct port and i was wondering how i would go about tapping it, oh and if it is plastic is their a bigger risk of it blowing up, because i have heard of that happening? maybe that is just that one out of a million shot.

Gibhunter
07-17-2002, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by fishboy
so is it plastic or aluminum whatever on the 02 si? i am wondering because if i go nitrous i will go direct port and i was wondering how i would go about tapping it, oh and if it is plastic is their a bigger risk of it blowing up, because i have heard of that happening? maybe that is just that one out of a million shot.

You guys have the same as in the RSX Type-S. I think it's aluminum. If not then it's some metal alloy.