PDA

View Full Version : 5 lug conversion issues

knowgood
04-27-2010, 08:19 PM
So I just finished my Type S 5 lug conversion and now I've run into a few problems.... it just never ends

1. Everything is bled. But when I go to brake the pedal is super firm and the calipers seem to not be releasing. I've been told that I may need the prop valve from a type s, but I'm unsure.

2. When I was doing the conversion I managed to mangle the ep abs sensors. They've been replaced with type s sensors but the abs light is still there. How do I check the error code for them and how to I reset the light?

My previous thread asked about brake bleeding problems, could they be interfering with what is going on now? link: http://www.ephatch.com/forum/showthread.php?55007-Brake-bleeding-issue

RedSiBaron
04-27-2010, 08:24 PM
i will stress it again and again, YOU SHOULD USE THE TYPE S PROP VALVE...

check the e brake adjuster on the rear brake calipers, who knows maybe its dragging...

well the shit about the abs sensors, i used type s ones on mine and they dont work, but thats because atleast 2 of them are damaged...whats the condition on yours? to check the codes you will need to goto a honda or acura dealer to read them, it is a seperate port from the ecu...it sucks, it will cost you 1 hr of the dealers shop rate even though they just plug it in...it sucks cuz no one else has the code reader...

i hope this helps...keep us updated please

knowgood
04-27-2010, 08:32 PM
The rears dont seem to be the problem, they spin pretty easily by hand. So it's leading me to believe that whatever is screwing up is in front. I still think the calipers aren't releasing. When all the fluid is bled out of the caliper the piston goes completely in but as soon as fluid goes in the piston goes nowhere.

02CivicSI-VTEC
04-27-2010, 10:44 PM
yeah if i were you just the ep3 abs sensor with a spacer i just a rubber O-ring and it work just fine. the type s abs didnt work with my 5 lug set up, CEL was still on .

RedSiBaron
04-27-2010, 10:48 PM
yeah if i were you just the ep3 abs sensor with a spacer i just a rubber O-ring and it work just fine. the type s abs didnt work with my 5 lug set up, CEL was still on .

thats interesting...i need to do some digging on that...

by the way OP what was the condition of your calipers when you installed them, did you rebuild them?

knowgood
04-27-2010, 11:51 PM

I dont have a problem with CEL being on, thats interesting though. My ABS light is on, I want to find a way to reset it, like you'd do with the SRS light. I used washers to space mine out but i guess it wasnt enough. They were eaten by the teeth on the axle =(

thats interesting...i need to do some digging on that...

by the way OP what was the condition of your calipers when you installed them, did you rebuild them?

They werent rebuild. I gave them a once over and they appered fine but what do I know.

My buddy is an ex-honda tech is coming over tomorrow to check everything out. I should also be picking up a prop valve tomorrow.

Andrew
04-28-2010, 12:39 AM
damn this is scaring me dude!! i'm doing a typeS swap too in like a few weeks to a month and now i feel like is should get the prop valve maybe too? keep us updated please

knowgood
04-28-2010, 02:22 AM
damn this is scaring me dude!! i'm doing a typeS swap too in like a few weeks to a month and now i feel like is should get the prop valve maybe too? keep us updated please

Dont be scared just make sure your prepared for the worst. Cause if it can happen, it will...Well to me at least. You might be a lucky one lol

Progress update: Cleaned my recaros to work out some frustration...lol letting the system gravity bleed overnight. All 4 corners seem to spin with a little force by hand.

Andrew
04-28-2010, 01:58 PM
hahhaa foreals dude i'm still putting together my 5 lug so maybe i'll keep an eye on this thread for awhile and see what turns out so i can take precautions for my swap

RedSiBaron
04-28-2010, 02:13 PM
hahhaa foreals dude i'm still putting together my 5 lug so maybe i'll keep an eye on this thread for awhile and see what turns out so i can take precautions for my swap

get the master cylinder and prop valve...trust me

RHCP0801
04-28-2010, 02:16 PM
i will stress it again and again, YOU SHOULD USE THE TYPE S PROP VALVE...

check the e brake adjuster on the rear brake calipers, who knows maybe its dragging...

well the shit about the abs sensors, i used type s ones on mine and they dont work, but thats because atleast 2 of them are damaged...whats the condition on yours? to check the codes you will need to goto a honda or acura dealer to read them, it is a seperate port from the ecu...it sucks, it will cost you 1 hr of the dealers shop rate even though they just plug it in...it sucks cuz no one else has the code reader...

i hope this helps...keep us updated please

to read the ABS codes it is not a different port than the dlc connector used for reading check engine lights, honda has a portable computer known as the tablet or hds, plugs into the dlc and you can choose abs on the menu than read and delete the codes

i was a mechanic at a honda dealer for 4 years

RedSiBaron
04-28-2010, 02:37 PM
to read the ABS codes it is not a different port than the dlc connector used for reading check engine lights, honda has a portable computer known as the tablet or hds, plugs into the dlc and you can choose abs on the menu than read and delete the codes

i was a mechanic at a honda dealer for 4 years

i was told it was a separate port...regardless, only honda can read it

02CivicSI-VTEC
04-28-2010, 03:24 PM

dude we got this in the bag now why are you worried unless you get bad parts like i did with the bent knuckle.

knowgood
04-28-2010, 07:55 PM
Dont be scared just make sure you have everything and in working condition. Once mines finished it will be one of my favorite mods by far.

Update #2: Gravity bleed all night and day, nothing but 4 little puddles of fluid. Picking up the prop valve and having my friend come over tomorrow to work this out. All 4 corners seem to be sticking...

Andrew
04-28-2010, 11:55 PM
dude we got this in the bag now why are you worried unless you get bad parts like i did with the bent knuckle.

haha yeah dude i just want to get everything right and have no downtime because this is my daily and i have school most importantly to get to

Dont be scared just make sure you have everything and in working condition. Once mines finished it will be one of my favorite mods by far.

Update #2: Gravity bleed all night and day, nothing but 4 little puddles of fluid. Picking up the prop valve and having my friend come over tomorrow to work this out. All 4 corners seem to be sticking...

nice good progress?

get the master cylinder and prop valve...trust me

what are the benefits of having the master cylinder and prop valve? if so i might see if the person i bought the 5lug off has those parts too

talonXracer
04-29-2010, 05:32 AM
There is ABSOLUTELY no need to swap out the Proportioning valve !!!!!!!!!!!

I have the stock EP3 propo and the brakes work perfectly fine !!!!!!!!!!!

Stop spreading such falsehoods !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

knowgood
04-29-2010, 04:20 PM

Thats what everybody has been telling me but I got one anyway.

Update numbero thres: ABS light is off YEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Que victory dance! Type S sensors worked like a charm. Picked up a prop valve.

knowgood
04-30-2010, 01:18 AM
Victory!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!

Andrew
04-30-2010, 09:33 AM

haha so i'm guessing we don't need it then

Thats what everybody has been telling me but I got one anyway.

Update numbero thres: ABS light is off YEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Que victory dance! Type S sensors worked like a charm. Picked up a prop valve.

Victory!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!

so what did you do to gain victorious over your 5lug?

RedSiBaron
04-30-2010, 11:19 AM

its not a falsehood, for once i am going to 100% disagree with you that you need the prop valve and 15/16 brake master cylinder to get the most out of the brakes...YES it will work fine without it, but when it comes to the performance of the system without them the brakes are mushy and not evenly distributed...

ep3moschini
04-30-2010, 12:08 PM
I swapped the prop vavle and my braking felt different, I agree with charlie. it's a good investment of your time to get one and swap it out IF you want the full potential of your brake system, if you just want it to work then fuck it, leave the stock one in.

siep3
04-30-2010, 12:47 PM
sorry for the dumb question. what's prop valve? is it the master cylinder?

ep3moschini
04-30-2010, 12:49 PM
sorry for the dumb question. what's prop valve? is it the master cylinder?

no the master cylinder is teh master cylinder, the proportioning valve distributes the brake fluid to each caliper some people like 50/50 others like 40/60 it all depends on teh weight of the car and what type of brakes your using

siep3
04-30-2010, 01:45 PM
where's the prop valve located and how much it costs?

RedSiBaron
04-30-2010, 02:57 PM
its on the firewall down and to the left of where the master cylinder is if i remember correctly and new from acura its like 70 bucks

knowgood
04-30-2010, 08:50 PM
so what did you do to gain victorious over your 5lug?

I dont wanna talk about it lol. Stupid ass mistake that I should have gone over before. Banjo bolts...I'll leave it at that lol

Andrew
05-01-2010, 12:19 AM
I dont wanna talk about it lol. Stupid ass mistake that I should have gone over before. Banjo bolts...I'll leave it at that lol

did you install the prop valve too? or no?

knowgood
05-01-2010, 08:24 PM
Nope but I do plan on doing the bmc and prop valve down the road.