PDA

View Full Version : best daily battery

Kerby
04-28-2010, 06:18 AM
What you guys recommend as a daily dry battery?
I want to ditch the 20 pound paper weight I have now.
The battery that came with the car back in 2005 is still there.
I was thinking of getting a Braille.

What you guys running? Please list specs and weight.

thanks

RedSiBaron
04-28-2010, 07:14 AM
i dont know any of the specs on my battery but i am using a duralast and i love it...holds up to daily use well, i had one in my 86si for 6 years of harsh suspension vibrations

Chad
04-28-2010, 07:19 AM
Stinger SPV35......

The next one I'm building to my spec out of smaller SLA's

Kerby
04-28-2010, 12:42 PM
who has it been surviving cold starts? New England morning temps dip as down at 10 degrees.

chiwhitesi
04-28-2010, 12:52 PM
i have duralast red top for the past 3 years and it has been condidtent through some of the worst winters here in Chicago. as low as -15 in the am

introvert
04-28-2010, 01:48 PM
Duralast Gold here. It's been reliable. No extreme weather to deal with, though.

vboy127
04-28-2010, 03:22 PM
Duralast Gold here. It's been reliable. No extreme weather to deal with, though.

Same here. And I live in Utah where theres all sorts of weather. haha

0h5ive_EP3
04-28-2010, 06:21 PM
i saw some1 from Mass. using the 15lb braille battery for DD, can't remember his username, he went to the AC MEET. Said it's great for cold starts!

Chad
04-29-2010, 08:05 AM
Below zero cold starts on the SPV35 are frighting... it has spirit enough spirit that I fear for my cold ass engine.

An appropriately sized SLA will most always outperform a flooded cell in terms of delivering the goods when cold.

As for 15 Lb batteries, they are basically UPS batteries to an extent. Not many people make batteries but MANY re-badge. You can only get so much in a battery, there are no miracles to be had. Finding the size of a tuner battery will allow you to quickly cross reference ti to the same darn SLA battery they use in everything else.

VegaS10
05-01-2010, 04:19 AM
I had the Odyessy PC 680 in my eg hatch.

It lasted 1 year. I replaced it under warranty. It lasted 6 months.

I did a voltage draw test on it and it was nothing unusual, I mean, there isn't even an amp in the car.

After the last battery died, I sent it back. and they sent me a replacement.

I had another dead battery in 6 months.

Using a permanent marker, I drew a very graphic picture on the battery of what I thought of their company and their battery, and sent it back.

I now have a standard autozone gold battery in there with no issues.

I have yet to hear back from odyessy.

MadLorEP3
05-01-2010, 08:52 AM
damn so odessy sucks balls
i was about to get that shit too

Sorry to thread jack kerby
but do you guys know what kind of b attery Ican relocate to the trunk without giving off any fumes
I was gonna go with odessy but not anymore

VegaS10
05-01-2010, 03:17 PM
I would not say Odyessy sucks, as they make batteries for many different companies.

I will, however, say that the PC 680 did not serve me well. My car stays garaged, gets driven roughly 50 miles a week, and is never exposed to prolonged cold temperatures.

Their larger batteries should be a strong option.

Twisted-X
05-01-2010, 03:48 PM
I would not say Odyessy sucks, as they make batteries for many different companies.

I will, however, say that the PC 680 did not serve me well. My car stays garaged, gets driven roughly 50 miles a week, and is never exposed to prolonged cold temperatures.

Their larger batteries should be a strong option.

You do realize the PC 680 is made for motorcycles, right?

MadLorEP3
05-01-2010, 03:57 PM

ok thanks for the clarification guys

so no pc680 then Ill get one made for our cars

what brand of battery would you guys suggest to be placed in the trunk and I dont have to worry about spills or fumes

VegaS10
05-02-2010, 05:08 AM

I know several people who have that same battery in their daily driver, with zero issues.

Apparently it wasn't meant to be for my car.

DgrzEp3
05-11-2010, 01:31 AM
optima battery yellow top. its a great battery. Gel inside istead of the typical distilled water. im assuming better for cold start ups..but i live in socal

Chad
05-11-2010, 07:37 AM
optima battery yellow top. its a great battery. Gel inside istead of the typical distilled water. im assuming better for cold start ups..but i live in socal

the Optima has had a history of sucking HARD, especially in the group 51 size, their customer service has also had a history of sucking hard leaving many honda owners without replacement money or replacement batteries when they DISCONTINUED THEM because they SUCKED SO HARD.... it was a design flaw.

A quick google search will show you this.

Batteries don't have distilled water in them, they have acid. A jar of kool-aid has kool-aid, it's not appropriate to call it water. You ADD distilled water as the agent to replace the fluid that evaporated thus bringing the level back up to the top of the plates, you use distilled to prevent the PH of the acid from changing.

DgrzEp3
05-11-2010, 01:31 PM
A quick google search will show you this.

Batteries don't have distilled water in them, they have acid. A jar of kool-aid has kool-aid, it's not appropriate to call it water. You ADD distilled water as the agent to replace the fluid that evaporated thus bringing the level back up to the top of the plates, you use distilled to prevent the PH of the acid from changing.

I stand corrected.

I just never looked into it much. Personally idk if the batteries still suck but ive havent had any problems with mine. And its really good for my system setup.

Chad
05-11-2010, 02:45 PM
Try that SPV35, it's a little monster. Th flat AGM batteries have more substrate surface area. They work well. Reprtedly (not confirmed) the SPV44 MAY fit.

If it weren't for that damn AC line in the front we'd be shoving group 34's in all day long... that would be killer. If you are good with metal fab you can fab up a new try to fit a 34. It needs to come more center and back just a tad.

Twisted-X
05-11-2010, 02:53 PM
but do you guys know what kind of b attery Ican relocate to the trunk without giving off any fumes
I was gonna go with odessy but not anymore

You could try a sealed battery box w/vent (http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/10230/10002/-1).
I'm going this route when I do it. Just run the vent tube out one of the vents in the back of the hatch (though it looks like you'd have to make a longer tube).

Chad
05-11-2010, 04:58 PM
You could try a sealed battery box w/vent (http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/10230/10002/-1).
I'm going this route when I do it. Just run the vent tube out one of the vents in the back of the hatch (though it looks like you'd have to make a longer tube).

you don't have to do this when you go with one of the PLETHORA of sealed batteries ont eh market.. Unless, Of course, a metal box is required for track use for safety.

Chad
05-11-2010, 04:58 PM

you don't have to do this when you go with one of the PLETHORA of sealed batteries ont eh market.. Unless, Of course, a metal box is required for track use for safety.

Twisted-X
05-12-2010, 01:47 PM
I've heard that even the sealed batts will out-gas if you overcharge them (say your voltage regulator goes). Personally, for the 50 to 70 bucks it costs for a sealed vented box, I'm getting one. Plus, you don't have to custom fab as much to put your battery in the hatch.

DrZfInEsT
05-12-2010, 08:27 PM
I'm running the die hard gold on mine with no complaints.Interstate batteries aren't bad neither.

Guardian
05-15-2010, 03:12 PM
The pc680 is working great for me and I hardley start my EP and rarley disconect it since it's behind my bumper cover.

LOVIN MY EP3
05-20-2010, 03:19 PM
What do you guys think about bosch batteries ? and I need new battery cables... what size should I go with ?