PDA

View Full Version : All season tire recommendations?

rtnlsltn
04-28-2010, 03:47 PM
Currently have a set of BFGoodrich G-Force Super Sport A/S on my car, they've been decent tires for the $80 a pop I payed for them, but the tread wear left much to be desired. The inner tread of the tire is decent, while the outer tread is nearly gone. I've only got about 30K on them so far :-\. Looking for recommendations of affordable all season tires. I'd buy a set of summer's, but I'm unable to find a cheap set of stealies for winter. If you know where I can get a cheap set of those I'd be interested too.

Thanks,
Justin

RedSiBaron
04-28-2010, 04:18 PM
goodyear eagle gt...i fuckin' shit you not, these are the best all season tires ive ever had...ive had falken 512s, multiple sets of bridgestone, and kumho asx's. All of them were ultra/high performance all seasons...the only ones that came close were the bridgestones, but they didnt hold up in the dry performance category compared to the goodyears...

heres the thing, the goodyears had snow and wet traction like the bridgestones, so theres a mega win there, but they also handle EXTREMELY well in the dry, much better even than the bridgestones...i equate this to the stiff ass sidewalls...the reason they have stiff sidewalls is they have cantilevered sidewalls, this ends up giving you a huge guard of about a half inch out from the wheel, thus protecting the wheel from curb rash, but also you end up with added tire width...also it makes them look badass...

trust me for all year driving, these things are fantastic you will not be dissapointed...this is the only all-season tire ive ever owned that i did not feel like i compromised on ANYTHING

can you tell how much i love these tires? haha

beechstreet
04-28-2010, 04:27 PM
+1 for the Eagle GTs. Best tire I've had in wet weather. Not spectacular for grip in dry weather (I'm still in love with the BFGoodrich T/A KDW 2s) but they suffice. My roomie was riding on the BFGoodrich G-Force Super Sports and just recently went with the Yokohama Advan S4s and says they are an improvement over the G-Forces

Cheep3
04-28-2010, 05:28 PM
Currently have a set of BFGoodrich G-Force Super Sport A/S on my car, they've been decent tires for the $80 a pop I payed for them, but the tread wear left much to be desired. The inner tread of the tire is decent, while the outer tread is nearly gone. I've only got about 30K on them so far :-\. Looking for recommendations of affordable all season tires. I'd buy a set of summer's, but I'm unable to find a cheap set of stealies for winter. If you know where I can get a cheap set of those I'd be interested too.

Thanks,
Justin

30 K is not bad for a decent set of tires but if you have uneven wear like you say, an alignment would be money well spent. Just do the math and figure and extra 10 k miles for the price of an alignment.

socmex7
04-28-2010, 07:40 PM
another +1 for the Eagle GT's.. they are great tires. those or the Yokohama YK520's. i have them on my stockies for when i go to the snow, they handle like champs.

BlownSi05
04-29-2010, 05:35 AM
The Eagle GT's are great tires. I would say to also take a look at the Toyo Proxes 4 tires. I have been running these tires for a little over two years and I love the hell out of them. Good tread wear and great traction for a good price.

2k3hatchie
04-29-2010, 05:57 AM
+1 For the Goodyear Eagle GT's. Very good dry grip for an All Season, excellent in wet weather too. I've never used mine in the snow though, I have snow tires for that. I've got about 20K on mine so far and i've never had to get them rebalanced. and they've still got 65% tread left on them. Like RedSiBaron said they look much wider for their size, my 205's look more like 215's.

I've heard good things about the Toyo Proxes 4 as well. I've been on the fence about getting those or another set of Eagles as my next set.

rtnlsltn
04-29-2010, 04:40 PM
Well that's that, Eagle GT's it is. Thanks all :thumbu:

rtnlsltn
09-21-2010, 04:14 PM
30 K is not bad for a decent set of tires but if you have uneven wear like you say, an alignment would be money well spent. Just do the math and figure and extra 10 k miles for the price of an alignment.

Reviving this as I'm near the point of needing tires. I didn't do the math before (like a dummy) but I'm clearly wearing a lot more on the driver's side. Since they are directional tires, I can't exactly rotate them to even it out. It seems like the outer portion of the tires are wearing, while there is still some tread left in the middle portion (slightly before the wear depth markers). Anything I can do about this? Put some sandbags in the passenger seat? :mrolleyes: I only weigh 180lbs.

EP3CHRiS
09-21-2010, 05:01 PM
Hey guys, dont mean to do some forum jackage but i am on the same boat, my tires are pretty bad and i am curently looking for some decent all season tires. Are these Eagle GT's a good bang for the buck?? i got some harsh winters in Toronto so i wanna make sure i get a good decent set (no money for winters):mconfused: any recommendations would be great

Thanks guys.

ep3colin
09-21-2010, 05:25 PM
i believe i had bridgestone pilot exalto pe2's

like 140ish a tire for 195-50-15 on my old si rims on my em1

but i literally in the rain couldnt break the tires loose, and i know a b16 isnt all that powerful but powershifting from 1-2nd it wouldnt even lose traction

and also slalom in the rain people wouldnt be expecting it but they would hit their heads on the window because they didnt expect the tires to grip that well

username011
09-21-2010, 05:52 PM
I love my Goodyear Eagle GT's.. plus if you all ever pick up a brochure on them, it even is made with CARBON FIBRE reinforced sidewall in it! How cool is that??..! my next set of tires will be more aggressive but these tires are fantastic..really..and they look great too and have a special rubber in them that makes the tires always dark black so you wont have to use as much tire shine which is just nice.

socmex7
09-21-2010, 07:10 PM
like stated above. Goodyear Eagle GT's are a great bang for buck. esp since you'll have those awesome winters in toronto. they're handle the job better than most all-seasons.. not as good as snows but they'll do.

and ep3colin, Michelin makes the Pilot line. great wet and dry tires, not so great in the snow. they just won't get traction.

BlownSi05
09-23-2010, 09:23 AM
Reviving this as I'm near the point of needing tires. I didn't do the math before (like a dummy) but I'm clearly wearing a lot more on the driver's side. Since they are directional tires, I can't exactly rotate them to even it out. It seems like the outer portion of the tires are wearing, while there is still some tread left in the middle portion (slightly before the wear depth markers). Anything I can do about this? Put some sandbags in the passenger seat? :mrolleyes: I only weigh 180lbs.

Sounds like something in the camber or toe is off. Whenever you get new tires or make any suspension adjustments, it is best to get a full alignment done as soon as possible.

socmex7
09-23-2010, 01:57 PM
Sounds like something in the camber or toe is off. Whenever you get new tires or make any suspension adjustments, it is best to get a full alignment done as soon as possible.

QFT.. new tires won't help any wear patterns. they are just as suseptable to alignment wear just like the old ones.. regular alignments are a MUST..