PDA

View Full Version : MTF Suggestions?

Silvercard
04-29-2010, 09:45 AM
Hello. Was wondering if Royal Purple Fluid is any good? What do you guys think? I plan on flushing it. Right now it has the oem.
Thanks

02_epdriver
04-29-2010, 11:26 AM
Never tried the RP but I have used for years now the Amsoil synchromesh MTF for years now. Awesome stuff

Silvercard
04-29-2010, 11:36 AM
Never tried the RP but I have used for years now the Amsoil synchromesh MTF for years now. Awesome stuff

Word. Is there a specific weight i need to get for the ep3?

RedSiBaron
04-29-2010, 11:40 AM
using redline right now, havnt checked it to see how its going...its high temp race gearbox oil...

you should use honda MTF and not worry about it

beechstreet
04-29-2010, 11:42 AM
I've used several different MTFs in this tranny and Royal Purple ranks at the bottom of the list. +1 for Amsoil MTF

2k3hatchie
05-03-2010, 11:38 AM
Using Redline MTL, works great. Smoothed out my notchiness

.colin
05-03-2010, 11:42 AM
Use OEM MTF

Cheep3
05-03-2010, 10:12 PM
Using Redline MTL, works great. Smoothed out my notchiness

I'm very pleased with the Red Line also. I would have tried Amsoil's but it is such a hassle to find.

RedSiBaron
05-03-2010, 10:44 PM
I'm very pleased with the Red Line also. I would have tried Amsoil's but it is such a hassle to find.

personally i trust redline a great deal more than amsoil...nothing against amsoil in the slightest, but simply because it holds up under any condition whether thats daily or high heat or racing (high heat racing :mwink:) and my father has been running it in his race cars (first to run it east of the rockies in scca) since the 70s in his formula ford.

they know what they are doing and i trust them with thousands of dollars in engine parts in all of my race builds...

that said...

seriously...

just buy honda MTF

adrian1281
05-04-2010, 07:26 PM
GM Synchromesh Friction Modified

Cheep3
05-05-2010, 01:58 AM
personally i trust redline a great deal more than amsoil...nothing against amsoil in the slightest, but simply because it holds up under any condition whether thats daily or high heat or racing (high heat racing :mwink:) and my father has been running it in his race cars (first to run it east of the rockies in scca) since the 70s in his formula ford.
they know what they are doing and i trust them with thousands of dollars in engine parts in all of my race builds...
that said...
seriously...
just buy honda MTF
You grew up around formula fords eh? Very cool! Your technical knowledge just doubled in my view...

RedSiBaron
05-05-2010, 06:57 AM
You grew up around formula fords eh? Very cool! Your technical knowledge just doubled in my view...

whats a socket wrench?!

i didnt grow up around the formula fords, my father got outta that about the time i was born in the 80s, but ive learned everything i know from him, he built formula 2 cars in europe in the 70s before his formula ford days...

jeenyusss
05-05-2010, 07:46 AM
where doy ou purchase redline?

i use honda mtf usually

RedSiBaron
05-05-2010, 07:57 AM
where doy ou purchase redline?

i use honda mtf usually

i usually get my redline motor oil through a local shop here in ohio, but last time when i did my MTF i got it through SHG_EasyE because i was in that area at the time...go on their site, i am sure they have distributors listed and you can find one closest to you

jeenyusss
05-05-2010, 08:17 AM
thanks, how much did it run ya?

CHASEEE
05-05-2010, 08:33 AM
Honda MTF

RedSiBaron
05-05-2010, 08:36 AM
thanks, how much did it run ya?

be prepared to pay $10 a quart...so $2.50 more per quart than say RP...

i dont drive much so i can justify it

but if you find the right distributor then you can get it for cheaper than RP...when i was living north of philly a couple years ago i was buying it from a distributor for 7.17

jeenyusss
05-05-2010, 12:45 PM
honda mtf cost me like 11 a qt at my stealer

Jukka
05-06-2010, 04:39 PM
I'm running the RP Syncromesh, regretably, and want to get it out of my tranny asap. I'm gonna try Motul's 10W40 gear oil next. Ive had good luck with their motoroil and a fellow EP owner said their gear oil is awsome.

thehulme
05-06-2010, 07:28 PM
Honda MTF all the way.

02_epdriver
05-13-2010, 07:10 AM
Word. Is there a specific weight i need to get for the ep3?

the amsoil will come in the 5w30 synchromesh fluid. I've tried so many other brands and this holds up the longest and continues to shift smooth.

Ba82Ep3
05-13-2010, 09:08 AM
Honda MTF is great for DD use, until you overheat the fluid. Well, all tranny fluid is pretty much like that... but i have had no complaints with GM's friction modified Synchromesh. I would however use Pennzoil's Synchromesh for two, 2500 mile changes before using the GM Synchromesh. The Honda MTF seems to do something to the GM fluid that ruins it. Flushing the tranny with the cheaper Pennzoil seems to create no issues for the costlier GM product.

As far as RP goes... the oil is for dyno queens, and the tranny fluid wears fast. I went through it in a day in the EP. It felt great through the first 5 or 6 turns. I could revmatch 2nd gear with no problem coming off the apex and throw it back in 3rd with no complaints from the tranny. By the end of the day, the tranny didnt wanna shift at all... and the synchros were back to being slow and sluggish after the tranny cooled off. It came out of the tranny with a strong burnt odor.

Ive never used Amsoil, but heard a lot of praise for their products. My Benz Tech friend swears by Amsoil, but its not used in Hondas in his case.

02_epdriver
05-15-2010, 01:23 AM
Ive never used Amsoil, but heard a lot of praise for their products. My Benz Tech friend swears by Amsoil, but its not used in Hondas in his case.

Why is that?