PDA

View Full Version : Electrical problems: radio, cluster lights, etc not functioning.

MBaG
04-29-2010, 11:09 AM
I took out my radio and put it back in, but then it didn't work. Also, my remote key doesn't work to unlock/lock anymore. & later that night, i noticed the cluster lights don't work either [but the cruise control buttons, check engine light, etc work]. And the door unlock button only works when the car is on.

What did I do to cause this? :[

Chad
04-29-2010, 11:59 AM
What steps did oyu take to wire it into the harness? There's constant power, switched power, ground, and illumination..... odds are something got mixed up. Check fuses but by the sound of things you may have blown a trace in the cluster or a fuse. remove the radio before replacing any fuses.

MBaG
04-29-2010, 12:08 PM
What steps did oyu take to wire it into the harness? There's constant power, switched power, ground, and illumination..... odds are something got mixed up. Check fuses but by the sound of things you may have blown a trace in the cluster or a fuse. remove the radio before replacing any fuses.

I actually had the radio in there for awhile; The CD kept getting jammed, so I just took it out to take a look. But now, how do I know if i blew a fuse or something? I may have hit something while I was putting the whole console back in.

oneglory
04-29-2010, 12:28 PM
check the obvious stuff first, remove everything you put in and check for pinched/cut/frayed/crushed wires - check the radio harness for damage / error in wiring - check the fuses - then i guess the damn multiplex.

Chad
04-29-2010, 12:56 PM
how did you attach the wires? How did you protect the splices?

MBaG
04-29-2010, 12:59 PM
how did you attach the wires? How did you protect the splices?

just electrical tape.

Chad
04-29-2010, 01:21 PM
did you solder,crimp, or ghetto finger solder?

MBaG
04-29-2010, 01:38 PM
did you solder,crimp, or ghetto finger solder?

ghetto finger solder? is that just the simpe twist & tape? hahaha. this was meant for a temporary radio with an AUX plug, until I can afford a better one.

MBaG
04-29-2010, 02:28 PM
i just looked at all the wires, and they all look fine. why does the door unlock button work only when the car is on, and not when it's off?

Chad
04-29-2010, 02:57 PM
9 times out of 10 it's the "temporary" things that really jack up an electrical system.

MBaG
04-29-2010, 04:45 PM
9 times out of 10 it's the "temporary" things that really jack up an electrical system.

Ehh. well before i took out it again, everything worked fine.. can it be caused by me forgetting to plug the power back into the radio and starting up the car? i think that is where it all started, when i forgot to put that back on and started the car.

Chad
04-29-2010, 05:49 PM
Ehh. well before i took out it again, everything worked fine.. can it be caused by me forgetting to plug the power back into the radio and starting up the car? i think that is where it all started, when i forgot to put that back on and started the car.

no, one or more of the tape coverings in the ghetto finger solder spree slid from heat and grounded out, check the yellow and orange wires on the headunit REALLY CLOSE again, and follow them back..

Mighty_Mouse_Ep
04-29-2010, 05:57 PM
I have to agree with Chad when you ghetto finger soder and your pushing all that stuff behind the dash those ghetto finger soder's can eaisly come appart and ground out. Recheck everything on the deck. What i would do is soder or at least crimp the wires on the deck together. If all that checks out check all the fuses. Most of the time the back up fuse under the hood is blown i believe it is a 7.5 amp fuse.

MBaG
04-30-2010, 12:02 PM
okay i think i found the problem. i accidently cut a black wire. it's the wire that's bolted to the silver piece to the right.. but i can't find the other end. anyone know where it goes?

i'll try to take a picture of the cut wire since it's hard to explain which one it is.

EDIT: does someone have a picture of inside the whole center console? my camera on my phone is broken. -__-

MBaG
04-30-2010, 12:37 PM
bumpp help.

Chad
04-30-2010, 12:54 PM
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y231/cwahls/Civic%20RF/100_1356.jpg

Not a good pic at all unfortunately

MBaG
04-30-2010, 01:00 PM
Not a good pic at all unfortunately

the wire that is cut is bolted to opposite side of what i bubbled in. dam wish you had the other angle so i could see where the other end of the wire is heading.

http://i41.tinypic.com/33kvpd4.jpg

any ideas?

Chad
04-30-2010, 01:05 PM
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y231/cwahls/Civic%20RF/100_1357.jpg

Steering wheel is in the way I may have moar pics at home these are just the ones I uploaded.

MBaG
04-30-2010, 01:19 PM
http://i39.tinypic.com/257d1zs.jpg

well the cut wire is bolted/screwed to that piece i circled. don't know if you have the same wire, or if you would even remember where that wire came from.

Chad
04-30-2010, 01:23 PM
it was added later, it was a ground wire.... that will likely make your headunit come back on but I'm not sure it will solve the rest of your issues.

MBaG
04-30-2010, 01:26 PM
it was added later, it was a ground wire.... that will likely make your headunit come back on but I'm not sure it will solve the rest of your issues.

i'm guessing it would, since this is what caused it all. but any ideas where the other end is? or if there is an other end..

MBaG
04-30-2010, 01:36 PM
bump for help.

MBaG
04-30-2010, 01:59 PM
^^^^^

MBaG
04-30-2010, 03:17 PM
:[[

MBaG
04-30-2010, 04:24 PM
dang nobody is on at this time. hopefully chad gets on soon. seems like he's one of the electrical experts on here.

anyone with an 04-05 that can check behind their radio so i can figure out where this power wire came from? ..

MBaG
04-30-2010, 05:58 PM
bump.

Chad
04-30-2010, 06:23 PM
i'm guessing it would, since this is what caused it all. but any ideas where the other end is? or if there is an other end..

the other end is likely on the radio or something that was cut from a previous install and not cleaned up.

Reaper27
05-01-2010, 05:16 PM
I'm having the same issues. The exact same issues. I was installing my new radio and I had the radio out and installed it but it lasted about 3 minutes till the radio cut off and then when I got out of the car I found out that my dash lights don't work, my interior lights won't come on when I open the door, the door lock don't work, the A/C doesn't work, my tail lights don't work, and my keyless remote doesn't work. But when I have the key in the igition everything works fine except the tailights, the dash lights, and the A/C, they still won't come on. Idk what the hell went wrong but I need to find out and fix it soon. I've already been pulled once because my tailights weren't on. Please someone help.

Reaper27
05-02-2010, 06:08 AM
bump

MBaG
05-02-2010, 10:40 AM
bump

your a/c doesn't work either? my a/c works.. & my headlights work too. i didn't check the taillights, but i'm pretty sure those work too.

but check all your fuses. check both fuseboxes. the one under the hood and the one in the car.
someone told me, we probably have a blown fuse somewhere.

i'm going to check mine in a few hours. so i'll let you know what happens.

MBaG
05-02-2010, 02:42 PM
problem solved. i had 2 blown fuses. and those are fixed.. & now i forgot my radio code.

thanks for the help guys!

reaper, i bought like 8 fuses and a fuse tested from autozone for about $8. you might have multiple blown fuses like i do. but that should be the problem. good luck!

Reaper27
05-02-2010, 05:38 PM
My A/C came back on randomly, idk why it went out but yea my tailights are out; I've already been pulled by a cop once because of it. Which fuses were blown? I checked them when it originally happened and the only one that I found that was blown was the fuse to the ACC power for my radio and I replaced it but nothing was fixed except my radio came on again. Obviously I have more blown somewhere and it sounds like they're the same ones.

MBaG
05-02-2010, 08:42 PM
i looked at the fusebox case, and it said it was the fuse for the headlights & something else.. i don't remember, but did you check both fuse boxes?

Reaper27
05-03-2010, 06:28 PM
Oh ok, I found it. I blew 5 fuses :-/ some of which weren't even realted to what went out and i'm not sure as to how they blew with me just pulling out my center consol? but its fixed now.