PDA

View Full Version : What's a Good Brand of Paint?

MadLorEP3
05-01-2010, 04:15 PM
Hey Guys

So I will be painting my car Midori Green

And I have been talking to alot of different shops and all of them prefer to use a certain brand of paint. But I'm not so sure what brand to go with. Im looking for a very high quality paint and clear.

Some of the brands that these shops use include PPG, Dupont, Glassurite, RM BASF

For those who are knowleageble can you guys let me know what brand to roll with????

Thanks

vboy127
05-01-2010, 11:28 PM
I heard PPG is the best. However, my body shop uses Dupont and everything they've done on my car has turned out great.

talonXracer
05-02-2010, 04:48 AM
All of the modern paint systems will give you a great finish. The real determining factor will be the preparation of the surface. Any half assed monkey can spray.

mp_02si
05-02-2010, 11:37 AM
All of the modern paint systems will give you a great finish. The real determining factor will be the preparation of the surface. Any half assed monkey can spray.

I have to disagree and agree with you on this doug. While there are a lot of great products out there there are also some crappy ones. For instance I would stay away from Nason. Its ok for a cheap all over paint job but the pearls and metallics just dont have the flop of products such as what the op listed. Im no fan of ppg but yes they do sale a great product depending on what you buy. As far as BASF is concerned they are a great company with great products. Glasurite is actually a line from BASF. BASF's standard line is Diamont which is also a supperior product to many others. Any of those including Duponts chromabase will give you a very good long lasting job. But its all in how you finish it. Make sure you ask the shop spraying it wat clear they are putting on your car. A standard clear will work just fine from any of these companies but wat you really want is a high solids clear or also called a glamour clear. This clear sprayed out will give you a very deep gloss and depth as if you are staring in a mirror. Doug is right on the preperation tho. It does not matter if you buy the best paint products in the world if the person prepping your car decides to skip steps the longevity and even appearance of your paint job will suffer. And not everyone can spray. You should see the work some of the shops do around here...... Runs, dry spray, and heavy orange peel. You get wat you pay for.

skoolnu
05-02-2010, 02:16 PM
I shoot Dupont where i work. We switched from PPG. Those are very good brands. Nason and Omni are Dupont and PPG's cheaper versions. I think R-M is a bitch and a half. Ive never had to tint so many colors in my life with that crap. Glasurit is a very good brand, but $$$. I shot my car with all Dupont products. Chromapremier base and clear. I used the Dupont 72500s clear, which is there high solids clear. My paint came out amazing, But like doug said, and ill say too being a painter... its all in the prep. If you can see it while its in primer. its really going to show once you clear it. My car was primed and block 3 times before layin my base. 3 coats of clear. DAed with 600 and shot 2 more wet coats on. wetsanded with 2000 and buffed. now that shit is so flat and deep to where it looks like your soul is 50ft in the paint. all in the prep. and spend the money on clear. high solids only, dont settle for less. the 72500 set me back 430 for a gallon.

MadLorEP3
05-03-2010, 12:48 AM
I have to disagree and agree with you on this doug. While there are a lot of great products out there there are also some crappy ones. For instance I would stay away from Nason. Its ok for a cheap all over paint job but the pearls and metallics just dont have the flop of products such as what the op listed. Im no fan of ppg but yes they do sale a great product depending on what you buy. As far as BASF is concerned they are a great company with great products. Glasurite is actually a line from BASF. BASF's standard line is Diamont which is also a supperior product to many others. Any of those including Duponts chromabase will give you a very good long lasting job. But its all in how you finish it. Make sure you ask the shop spraying it wat clear they are putting on your car. A standard clear will work just fine from any of these companies but wat you really want is a high solids clear or also called a glamour clear. This clear sprayed out will give you a very deep gloss and depth as if you are staring in a mirror. Doug is right on the preperation tho. It does not matter if you buy the best paint products in the world if the person prepping your car decides to skip steps the longevity and even appearance of your paint job will suffer. And not everyone can spray. You should see the work some of the shops do around here...... Runs, dry spray, and heavy orange peel. You get wat you pay for.

Glamour Clear
now thats what I want....the way you described the gloss that I can expect to get from this makes it a winner
Diamont...Im gonna have to check this out

latest quote I got was $5500 for painting the car, including all jams, and engine bay
previous paint job that I got was $3700 and I wasnt too happy with the color I chose
so Im repainting

MadLorEP3
05-03-2010, 12:53 AM
I shoot Dupont where i work. We switched from PPG. Those are very good brands. Nason and Omni are Dupont and PPG's cheaper versions. I think R-M is a bitch and a half. Ive never had to tint so many colors in my life with that crap. Glasurit is a very good brand, but $$$. I shot my car with all Dupont products. Chromapremier base and clear. I used the Dupont 72500s clear, which is there high solids clear. My paint came out amazing, But like doug said, and ill say too being a painter... its all in the prep. If you can see it while its in primer. its really going to show once you clear it. My car was primed and block 3 times before layin my base. 3 coats of clear. DAed with 600 and shot 2 more wet coats on. wetsanded with 2000 and buffed. now that shit is so flat and deep to where it looks like your soul is 50ft in the paint. all in the prep. and spend the money on clear. high solids only, dont settle for less. the 72500 set me back 430 for a gallon.

I need to find a shop that is honest enough to actually do what you did to your car above
I will print this out and five it to them
so the dupont 72500s clear is $430/ gallon but I will only need one gallon anyways right
1 gal clear, 1 gal base

does it matter what type of primer is used?
does the whole car need to be primered?

mp_02si
05-03-2010, 05:07 AM

72500s is an amazing clear and i will have to agree with you that diamont is a bitch to tint. But if you use their colormax system to begin with and check for color match before you mix it usually you wont have a problem. Except for champagne colors!!! God they are the biggest bitch in the world to match. I hate them lol. One thing that dupont has going for them though are their powdered pearls. They seem to stand up a little more and flop a little harder in the sunlight. I actually have chromabase on my car. The chromapremier was a little out of my price range at the time when i bought it.

MadLorEP3
05-03-2010, 01:33 PM
72500s is an amazing clear and i will have to agree with you that diamont is a bitch to tint. But if you use their colormax system to begin with and check for color match before you mix it usually you wont have a problem. Except for champagne colors!!! God they are the biggest bitch in the world to match. I hate them lol. One thing that dupont has going for them though are their powdered pearls. They seem to stand up a little more and flop a little harder in the sunlight. I actually have chromabase on my car. The chromapremier was a little out of my price range at the time when i bought it.

Ok so I guess I'll be going with Duppont Chroma premier base and Dupont 72500s (high solids clear)
Can you guys point me to an online site where I can buy these

Skoolnu-why was your car primered 3 times, is that necessary?
and what do you mean by DAed with 600

Lastly, is 1 gallon of base and clear enough?

Whats the other stuff I need, like the reducer, activator, catalyst etc and do they come with the paint?

skoolnu
05-03-2010, 05:25 PM
i had some body work i needed to do. so i primed and blocked it out 3 times to make sure i was dealing with the straightest surface i could. not totally necessary, but can be worth the effort. DA (dual action) sander. 600 grit. check my members ride link, as i tried to post as much progress as possible.

i used 3 quarts of base, which is over a gallon sprayable. and a gallon of clear is enough to clear your car 10x over.

5500 isnt to bad of a price. my car, we would have charged twice that. thank god im the painter and the owner is a very good dude. my paint job only cost me my time and a pair of Adio sneakers for the owner. cant beat that!

oh yeah, my Ep is rockin your old carpet. hahaha!!!

MadLorEP3
05-03-2010, 07:01 PM
oh hey whats up bro
didnt know it was you LOL

Guardian
05-03-2010, 11:59 PM
I use ppg or dupont

mp_02si
05-04-2010, 08:11 AM
sorry bro I cant really point you to a place online where you can buy it. I sell the products here but am not allowed to ship liquids via ups anymore. I dont know why but the new District manager we got wont let us do it. By the way on that price quote you got did that include materials or was it all labor? That sounds like it includes materials with the labor.

mp_02si
05-04-2010, 08:12 AM
i had some body work i needed to do. so i primed and blocked it out 3 times to make sure i was dealing with the straightest surface i could. not totally necessary, but can be worth the effort. DA (dual action) sander. 600 grit. check my members ride link, as i tried to post as much progress as possible.

i used 3 quarts of base, which is over a gallon sprayable. and a gallon of clear is enough to clear your car 10x over.

5500 isnt to bad of a price. my car, we would have charged twice that. thank god im the painter and the owner is a very good dude. my paint job only cost me my time and a pair of Adio sneakers for the owner. cant beat that!

oh yeah, my Ep is rockin your old carpet. hahaha!!!

:rockon: lot of work but i bet shes as straight as an arrow

skoolnu
05-04-2010, 09:17 AM
:rockon: lot of work but i bet shes as straight as an arrow

oh yeah!

i would talk to the shop your going to have do it, and have them supply the material. cause your going to spend alot of cash on material you will never use.

MadLorEP3
05-05-2010, 12:28 AM
sorry bro I cant really point you to a place online where you can buy it. I sell the products here but am not allowed to ship liquids via ups anymore. I dont know why but the new District manager we got wont let us do it. By the way on that price quote you got did that include materials or was it all labor? That sounds like it includes materials with the labor.

yeah that includes material
I just gotta make sure they are using stuff mentioned here

mp_02si
05-05-2010, 05:07 AM
well just talk to them bro and ask them to take you thru a step by step process of wat they will be doing to your car. Also dont be afraid to stop by and check out your car while its going thru the different stages. Im not saying to bug the hell out of them but show your concern in the whole process.

scorpionsf
05-05-2010, 07:34 PM
ppg or house of kolor

MadLorEP3
05-06-2010, 01:53 AM
thanks for the input guys
Ill definitely be dropping the car off for paint
$5500 is a reasonable price for a show quality paintjob
I actually got a significant discount off the original asking price of $7500 so Im good to go

mp_02si
05-06-2010, 05:13 AM
cool keep us posted on the final job.

MadLorEP3
02-02-2011, 10:25 PM

Hey bro or anyone else knowlegeable
where is a good place to buy the Dupont 72500S high solids clear and dupont chroma premier base? Will i need anything else besides base and clear? 1 gallon of each should be good right?

PAPITUYO326
02-02-2011, 10:46 PM
Midori on the EP? Don't know how I feel about it..

http://images.encyclopediadramatica.com/images/3/38/NixonNotSure.jpg

MadLorEP3
02-02-2011, 10:55 PM
as long as I like it then its ALL GOOD

BUT BACK TO THE REASON I BUMPED THIS THREAD

Hey bro or anyone else knowlegeable
where is a good place to buy the Dupont 72500S high solids clear and dupont chroma premier base? Will i need anything else besides base and clear? 1 gallon of each should be good right?

AKEP
02-03-2011, 04:59 AM
just primer it looks like.

u can buy this stuff at any body shop supply place. look around the auto mall, or just walk in and ask the shop what they use, they might sell you what they have. They will usually tell you that you need reducer and sell/mix it for you so its RTS (ready to spray) - you can always ask for a quote too, and shop around for a better price.

one thing i do is call my insurance company or a friends and ask them who they would recommend to go to, as they usually back those shops up for the good work they produce.

I haven't been in the booth for a long time now, so I don't really remember what you all need, but usually the clears need a catalyst to harden, and you add it right before you spray, otherwise it would harden in the cup or in the gun.

theres additives for the primer to keep the paint flexible on plastic bumpers and stuff too. alot of clear is awesome, as long as they let it flash off correctly. it will help keep the scratches from reaching the paint, but will be a pain in the ass to blend if you get a big repair done.

um. i think thats it.
if u have anymore questions just PM me. I'll see what I can do.

MadLorEP3
02-03-2011, 06:01 AM
just primer it looks like.

u can buy this stuff at any body shop supply place. look around the auto mall, or just walk in and ask the shop what they use, they might sell you what they have. They will usually tell you that you need reducer and sell/mix it for you so its RTS (ready to spray) - you can always ask for a quote too, and shop around for a better price.

one thing i do is call my insurance company or a friends and ask them who they would recommend to go to, as they usually back those shops up for the good work they produce.

I haven't been in the booth for a long time now, so I don't really remember what you all need, but usually the clears need a catalyst to harden, and you add it right before you spray, otherwise it would harden in the cup or in the gun.

theres additives for the primer to keep the paint flexible on plastic bumpers and stuff too. alot of clear is awesome, as long as they let it flash off correctly. it will help keep the scratches from reaching the paint, but will be a pain in the ass to blend if you get a big repair done.

um. i think thats it.
if u have anymore questions just PM me. I'll see what I can do.

Tnx bro

these are the kinds of responses that are helpful...LOL

tnx

AKEP
02-03-2011, 06:28 AM
no problem.