PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use a remote oil filter?

Squidward
05-02-2010, 07:02 PM
Did my first oil change on my '04 Friday (Mobile 1 full syn) and quickly came to the conclusion I hate the placement of the oil filter. Am I the only one who wants a vertically mounted oil filter? Does anyone out there have a remote oil filter for their ep? Got photos? Where to buy? I've been half assed looking online for one but so far no luck.

jh604
05-03-2010, 12:14 AM
I saw someone selling an oil filter relocator. It had 2 flexible steel braided lines and 2 aluminum plates on each end. I believe he said it was made for an prelude but I'm sure it will work with any honda because 1. same filter 2. 2 flexible lines so you can put it basically anywhere.

MBaG
05-03-2010, 12:44 AM
after the first time, you'll get used to it.

talonXracer
05-03-2010, 04:06 AM
The Kseries is very oil pressure and volume dependent. Relocating the filter can and will reduce both the available pressure and volume. Sure there is a little more errant oil with the current filter placement. I simply place a shop rag over the axle and that catchs most of the oil, a little squirt with brake cleaner and it is good to go.

BlownSi05
05-03-2010, 04:59 AM
The Kseries is very oil pressure and volume dependent. Relocating the filter can and will reduce both the available pressure and volume. Sure there is a little more errant oil with the current filter placement. I simply place a shop rag over the axle and that catchs most of the oil, a little squirt with brake cleaner and it is good to go.

I do pretty much the same. It is shitty placement, but Talon speaks the truth about the K-Series pressure and volume requirements. Just keep shop towels and brake cleaner handy and you can get everything cleaned up pretty quick.

Lucid Moments
05-03-2010, 05:55 AM
I do use a remote oil filter locator, and an oil cooler. I track my car regularly though so my requirements are different than most. Also I am running a K20A2 oil pump on a K24 frank so very different than a stockish K20A3. All that being said though I have an oil pressure sensor located at the remote oil filter and oil pressure is not an issue. I don't know of any way to measure oil volume so I can't say if that is an issue until I have to tear the motor down which I hope will be a very long time.

I got the setup from Mfactory (http://www.teammfactory.com/) but I don't see it listed on their website anymore so they may not still offer it.

I want to stress that I reccomend against using the oil cooler on a street car. I have issues with my oil not getting up to temp on the street. I won't comment on the remote filter locator other than to say I have not had a problem. I would not be running it however unless I had needed the oil cooler also.

slo_k20
05-08-2010, 08:39 PM
It's really not that inconvenient of a place, it takes me 2 seconds to find it when I have the tire off. practice makes perfect i guess

Squidward
05-10-2010, 03:38 PM
...Relocating the filter can and will reduce both the available pressure and volume....

Please forgive my ignorance & I intend no disrespect, but how is that possible?

The only real change in the oil system would be the lines to and from the new location of the original filter, right? Wouldn't there be more oil volume from the new oil in the relocator lines? If the oil drains out of the filter when the motor is off then your statement would make sense, but that doesn't happen, right? Wouldn't the volume of the new hoses be miniscule compared to the original oil volume? So even if the new overall volume was somehow reduced by the relocator system, the difference would be miniscule. I guess I could understand a slight reduction in pressure due to added oil volume, but my gut tells me that the oil pump wouldn't change its output merely due to its having more oil to work with. Would it be a change in location (higher up than factory) that causes the drop in pressure?

I'm confused now. Please help me understand this. Is it a good idea or not? :shrug:

Squidward
05-14-2010, 12:38 PM
Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

Lucid Moments
05-14-2010, 01:32 PM
When Doug mentions volume he is not talking about the overall capacity of the oil system, but instead is talking aobut the flow rate of oil through the system. And his argument is that the extra restriction offered by the fittings and hoses for a remote would cause a reduction in oil delivered to the various components. So it isn't the fact that you are adding more overall oil that causes the issue.

talonXracer
05-14-2010, 01:41 PM
And the issue is not during normal driving down the road, it is when sitting at idle where the oil pump does not have alot of volume, and each bend/turn and inch of hose creates resistance to that flow.

The internal passagways for the oil within the engine are alot smaller than you think.

RHCP0801
05-14-2010, 03:06 PM
you think the oil filter is in a bad spot on our cars, try doing an oil change on the newer si's

Squidward
05-15-2010, 10:22 AM
I see. That does make sense. Thank you for 'splaining it to me. 86 that idea for sure now.

I haven't had the chance to see the filter location for the newer Si, but now I'm curious.