PDA

View Full Version : DC or STRUP???????

cody_sir
05-03-2010, 01:33 PM
I want to get a header for my ep (not a race header) but have no idea which is better or what...

I am debating between the DC 4-2-1 header ceramic coated in mild steel header or the Strup stainless steel header. They are both around the same price but have no idea which one is better. I drive my car in the winter so I dont want something that will rust (no sure if the DC would or even could rust).

Can you guys PLEASE help me out... would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks guys

T_Virus
05-03-2010, 09:10 PM
get the comptech...it is stainless steel...

cody_sir
05-04-2010, 04:31 AM
thats out of my price range, I think I am going to go with the DC but I also like the Strup and I do not know which is better

Ep3 ked
05-04-2010, 09:29 AM
thats out of my price range, I think I am going to go with the DC but I also like the Strup and I do not know which is better
I have DC and I drive in the winter as well. I have no prob. with mine

Ba82Ep3
05-04-2010, 09:53 AM
The flanges of the SSDC shortie will rust, so youre not completely safe going that route. Im not sure why you wanna shorty header, but its kinda pointless... unless its almost free. You would be better off getting a DCRH to make the best use of your $$$.

Im not bagging on shorties. Just wishing someone had informed me of the same info before i dropped coin on my SSDC shortie years ago. Its wasted $$$ on a 'mod', unless youre just an emissions stickler.

Silvercard
05-04-2010, 10:15 AM
I have tried both short headers. I saw little gain with both and dc seemed better. Tho i would recommend going full race headers. Worth the money.

T_Virus
05-04-2010, 12:21 PM
check the comptech stainless steel shorty header on clubrsx.com ...I usually see them go for $125 or 150+

I've seen too many DC brand headers crack.

cody_sir
05-04-2010, 01:09 PM
i would love to get a race header but that meens my car will not pass the e test if i ever decide to sell my car.... u said u have seen to many dc headers crack... does that meen they are junk? the comptech are nice but they are stainless which doesnt retain the heat as well as the ceramic dc header.

Silvercard
05-04-2010, 01:16 PM
i would love to get a race header but that meens my car will not pass the e test if i ever decide to sell my car.... u said u have seen to many dc headers crack... does that meen they are junk? the comptech are nice but they are stainless which doesnt retain the heat as well as the ceramic dc header.
Mine havent cracked ever since I installed them 3 years ago...I just put my oem headers bac in when I head to inspection...then the race headers after inspection lol

cody_sir
05-04-2010, 06:23 PM
so should I go with DC? How long does it take to change a header, I've never really done it before

Silvercard
05-04-2010, 07:14 PM
I would prefer DC. Its fairly easy. Put ur car on a lift (some say they can change it without lifting idk) take off the bolts that holds the oem headers to the engine and the other 2 on the end that go back then swap. Very easy just on my ep3 its a pain in the ass to remove the bolts since they are really stuck. I just used a air gun with a to remove the bolts.

cody_sir
05-05-2010, 06:03 AM
ok... i was doing a more research and the stainless steel headers seem to be the best. I know that the SS headers do not retain the heat well and I have a short ram intake on my car so chances are that the intake will be sucking in hotter air because the header. If i get that wraping stuff that goes around the header so it will stop the heat, will that be ok?

T_Virus
05-05-2010, 01:58 PM
say "no" to wrapping header.

But really though. Getting a race header is better. You'll be power hungry...I made 153whp (forgot the torque) with Injen SP1576 CAI, Comptech Stainless steel shorty header and HKS Hi-Powe Exhaust...

dirtyMETHOD
05-05-2010, 04:18 PM
i like the swap idea for emissions or to sell. i would get RH and keep the stock, swap when u decide 2 sell....

cody_sir
05-06-2010, 11:48 AM
apparently dc doesnt make a ss shorty header for the ep3 anymore so im thinking of getting comptech. Were can I buy one?

cody_sir
05-08-2010, 12:28 PM
so I think im going to buy a ds sport stainless steel header... Are these good. Is it ok to have with a short ram intake considering that the ss headers dont retain heat as good as ceramic?

T_Virus
05-09-2010, 11:33 PM
if it is a shorty header, it won't make a difference that much...so you can pretty much choose either one...

bmyers4321
05-10-2010, 12:40 AM
save and get a nice header.

cody_sir
05-11-2010, 03:45 PM
the dc sport stainless steel is a nice good quality header