PDA

View Full Version : Ep3 Suspension - Need some advice

Silentone
05-03-2010, 06:14 PM
My struts are completely blown. These are the stocks I started with and have abused.

I would guess that type R struts are bolt in and a big upgrade right? Any ideas on how expensive that will be? Other suggestions and alternatives? I don't want a hard ride which is why the type R struts appeal to me being Honda tuned, but still tighter and stiffer feeling than the stocks.

Alternatively anyone selling stock struts for an EP3 near Los Angeles?

Zzyzx
05-04-2010, 08:26 AM
There's noting particularly special about OEM type R struts. HFP if you can find them or Mugen would be my recommendation. Else, buy a set of Koni dampers or other performance damper and call it a day.

byip17
05-04-2010, 02:25 PM
Sup everybody. Very sorry i haven't been around for awhile . Zzyzx is absolutley right. I have the HFP and i think it works great for an everyday need car. Its comfortable and drives better than the oem suspension. So if your looking for a little fun from time to time while you are doin ur everyday drive, it is a great suspension to have. I got mine from majestic a while back, so maybe you can try there. But i am curious to, how much differrent are the HFP compare to the konis and other dampeners out there. I mean, i like the ride of the HFP's in terms of comfort. The ride is not that hard and you still get some performance out of them. In other words, is it worth " springing " (LOL) for the konis? Does the harsh ride with much better performance outweigh the more comfortable ride with less performance of the HFP's?

Silentone
05-04-2010, 11:51 PM
I think Mugen is probably out of my price range and application. The Koni dampers you mentioned install into the stock strut body? Is it just the shock or a new spring too?

Drew1d
05-05-2010, 08:26 AM
Just non-blown struts will make it handle a lot better. Just match to the springs you run and go from there. If your staying with stock springs, than any brand should do just fine.

Billsteins = Perhaps you can be the one to say the cost is justified.
Koni = Stiff (Get out the hacksaw to cut up the old dampers)
Tokico = Blue is good, D-Spec can make stiffer
KYB = like stock
Monroe = like stock

Silentone
05-06-2010, 06:54 PM
Thanks for the list. I'm running stocks currently. I thought you had to either replace the entire strut, or weld a new shock in. Is that not true for all brands?

Would the Tokico set you mentioned be easy enouh to install? I've changed my coilovers before and broken down the strut, but I'm not comfortable welding (or allowing some buddy to do it...) on such a vital part of my suspension.

yyi
05-06-2010, 07:12 PM
Just non-blown struts will make it handle a lot better. Just match to the springs you run and go from there. If your staying with stock springs, than any brand should do just fine.

Billsteins = Perhaps you can be the one to say the cost is justified.
Koni = Stiff (Get out the hacksaw to cut up the old dampers)
Tokico = Blue is good, D-Spec can make stiffer
KYB = like stock
Monroe = like stock

just curious, which ones on the list have you had experience with?

Drew1d
05-07-2010, 04:57 AM
Thanks for the list. I'm running stocks currently. I thought you had to either replace the entire strut, or weld a new shock in. Is that not true for all brands?
Would the Tokico set you mentioned be easy enouh to install? I've changed my coilovers before and broken down the strut, but I'm not comfortable welding (or allowing some buddy to do it...) on such a vital part of my suspension.
There is no welding or anything like that. They all install pretty much the same(except Koni), with boxend wrenches, ball joint seperator (block of wood), pb blaster, grease, torque wrench, busted knuckles, patience and time. When you get the coil over off the car, you have to disassemble it (spring compressor) and reuse the springs and some other parts on the new dampers. I tend to replace all the bolts and nuts I use. (a pet peeve of mine is using stripped and rounded nuts and bolts.)

The fronts have arms that connect to the tie rods for steering (ball joint seperator required*), and you have to watch so the axle's don't fall out. The rears have a lower shock bolt that's hard to get out. I did my fronts one weekend, and the rears the following weekend. Took my time, and thankfully ran into no real problems. Definately Anti-seize stuff in case you have to take it apart again.

Reveiw the process in your manual, see if it's something you'd be interested in doing. But also realize, when they say "remove bolt," they don't tell you it's probably rusted and bonded to some other part.

just curious, which ones on the list have you had experience with? After my stocks blew, I had the local place put new shocks in. Those were monroe, and they were like stock. After another 30k, I decided I was going to upgrade, waited for Tokico D Specs to go on sale and bought them. Then waited for spring to install. So like 60 days after I bought them, had a "friend of a friend" install them at a shop, but it didn't go right. Rears were fine, but the front pinch bolt openings weren't right and I couldn't return them. But he tried to "make them" work. So needless to say, I spent a few times taking them apart, or trying to get the coilover sleeves right, my camber kept changing. After a few spring changes, I identified the front dampers as the problem and replaced them with KYB. The car rides fine now. Although I am still playing with the bushings, swaybars, tire sizes etc... This trial and error process was a learning experience, and although I'm more confident working on the car, my wallet is lighter.

I haven't had Koni's or Billsteins.

slate13530
05-07-2010, 07:41 AM
As mentioned previously in this thread you have several options if you plan on staying with stock springs, but if you want to go a little lower you still plenty of options.

Don't skimp out on your suspension and do your homework.

Are you planning to autocross at all or just DD?

2k3hatchie
05-07-2010, 10:16 AM
The A-Spec suspension kit for the DC5 is also a very good option. Mellow drop and the ride is firmed up just the right amount for DD. Its also fairly cheap compared to other options.

vicx52o
05-07-2010, 10:25 AM
The A-Spec suspension kit for the DC5 is also a very good option. Mellow drop and the ride is firmed up just the right amount for DD. Its also fairly cheap compared to other options.

I'd go with the A-Spec suspension if you're going to purchase the HFP suspension.
Correct me if i'm wrong but I believe you're going to have to use DC5 tie rod end's to run the A-Spec suspension.

I myself need to lower my car as well. I'm just saving up to get some Tokico D-Spec's.

02_epdriver
05-07-2010, 11:19 PM
You can try the Tokico HPK setup. I just purchased these for the time being until I can get some BC or progress coils. They are the tokico blues and tokico springs. The set of 4 can be purchased for about 550 to 600. I bought mine from KingMotorsports for 587 shipped. The blues are great for DD and fun driving. Not adjustable like the D-Specs tokicos are but if your not auto-xing or track use then you should be fine. Or some of the other brands the guys have mentioned work as well.

This setup will drop your EP 1 inch in the rear and front. You will also have to re-use the stock top mounts. New bearings are suggested and if the other components are in shitty shape as well replace them if you have to do that then your entering into the price of full-coilovers in whick I should have just done.