PDA

View Full Version : car vibrating at 40-50mph

ap51889
05-04-2010, 01:16 AM
I have a pretty big issue with my ep3.. so heres the problem. For some unknown reason when i reach 40 miles per hour and im accelerating my car starts shacking pretty badly, all the way until i get to 50mph. after that its pretty smooth. i havent done balance on the car and i got it with donuts on it. at first i thought maybe the rim was bent so i changed the front tires with the rear ones. but it was still there and that didnt change anything.. could it be my axle or do i need to balance my tires?

Kerby
05-04-2010, 05:57 AM
check the tightness on your lug nuts. I was in a hurry one time and forgot to tighten them good and I got the shakes.
You have a really bad bald spot on your tires? Could be another reason.

.colin
05-04-2010, 06:12 AM
since you swapped tires, that rules out the wheel being out of balance. its possible your wheel bearings are shot.

ap51889
05-05-2010, 02:31 AM
thanks guys.. i guess ill have to take it over to alignment to find out for sure.

gamma6
05-07-2010, 11:03 AM
i have the same issue but from 70-80 its not bad of a shake but its there... And yes i do have a bald only on the front drivers side tire... what may be wrong? car hasnt had an alignment in a while...

socmex7
05-07-2010, 04:06 PM
bald tires ride like shit. that's just the nature of the beast. replace your tires and get the rest balanced. at least start ruling out the tire issue.

02_epdriver
05-07-2010, 11:04 PM
check lugs, new tires, or get them balanced and get an alignment. A good way to tell if you have a bad wheel bearing is when driving down the road you will or should feel the vibration and you can turn you steering wheel in different directions and the noise will change. If you really know what to listen for you can always jack up the car, place on jack stands put the can in gear let the wheels rotate and use a stethascope (spellin?) that is another way to listen to your bearing to see if they are starting to go out or not. I think bad tie-rods will give the shakes as well if I'm not mistaken with the lower ball joints too.

DrZfInEsT
05-08-2010, 06:08 PM
I was originally going to say to check for a shifted belt in your tires but If you are saying you rotated your tires and it's still doing this I would check your front end and make sure everything is tight.

ZaTHRaS
08-13-2010, 03:14 AM
OP, any update on this? Anyone else?