PDA

View Full Version : help please

kevinlopezzz
05-04-2010, 10:47 AM
putting on some coilovers in a couple of days. i was wondering if anyone can give me some tips from keeping the axle from popping out.
from my search all i got was: leaving the control arm jacked up, and zip tying the control arm to the engine bay.
are there any other ways i can keep them from falling out? i dont feel like going through all that stress i had last time when both popped out on me. thanks for the help guys.

27rocks
05-04-2010, 11:32 AM
Just have a buddy help hold it while you pull the old stuff out and put the new one in. They pop out on me occasionally but i've gotten used to popping them back in. If they do come out dont stress it. All you have to do is turn the rotor a little back and forth and push back.

Drew1d
05-05-2010, 08:41 AM
I used a cardboard box for the knuckle to rest on while I assembled the struts. It worked fine for me. I don't think a zip-tie on the control arm would help as it is the knuckle that needs the support.

1. Of course be careful taking the struts apart, springs can be dangerous. (if they hold up the car, they can spring through your hand)
2. Grease the bearing on re-assembly.
3. Personally, I'd start spraying pb blaster on the rear shock bolt now, everyday till you do the swap.
4. Be careful taking the tierod end from the tapered hole in the shock. Getting the right tool would be helpful. (ball joint separator) I don't recommend, but I brought the nut down to the bottom of the tappered bolt, tapped the side of the steering strut arm with a hammer (to "square" the hole), and used a block of wood and hammered underneath and it "jumped" out.
5. As always, Use GOOD 17mm and 19mm boxend wrenches. Ones that fit great and won't strip bolts or bend. (made in USA)
6. I used a second smaller jack to position the rear struts to thread the bolt, be careful not to unseat the car off the jack stands if that's your method.

kevinlopezzz
05-05-2010, 10:46 PM
thanks for the help guys. i had a buddy just sit their and hold it in and it worked just fine.